BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dingles Away travel advice

Longers .. last night was worst I've EVER seen.

I wasn't there Abbey so can't really comment tbh.

However, could it not be that expectations are somewhat higher than they were in the distant past?

Christ, you're from the same era as me and I've watched plenty of garbage in the past. If it is as you say, the worst ever, then we really have no hope.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't there Abbey so can't really comment tbh.

However, could it not be that expectations are somewhat higher than they were in the distant past?

Christ, you're from the same era as me and I've watched plenty of garbage in the past. If it is as you say, the worst ever, then we really have no hope.

Seriously I was stood with an old timer like myself last night and we said not one of the team last night would have got in the don mac era. At least the 80's team grafted and worked for one another . Last night I had no expectations but by Christ it was woeful.

I certainly wudnt miss this game for ANYTHING. At the moment it is all most of us fans have to look forward too (unless of course we lose) then i get the feeling that the next home game will turn into sumthing that all the true fans will be disgusted by.

WE have to back the manager and give him time and im confident given time we will improve steadily throughout the season. Last season showed it isnt necessarily the way uu start a season its how u end 1 that determines most teams positions.

Incredible cost involved in this for a game between 2 poor 2nd division teams. So it's £32 for a ticket, £6.50 for the bus and, bizarely, blooming £5.65 for them to send me my ticket, that's a lot of cash. £44.15 by my reckoning. Wasn't going to go but have decided I would feel too guilty if we lose so will go if any tickets are left.

It might be like it was in 2005 with a much bigger crowd, no travel restrictions and an evening game. ie. no problem at all.

All they've done is forced out the regular fans and ensured a much higher percentage of halfwits attend their one match of the season so they can act like dicks on a bus and bounce around behind police lines. Before anyone gets excited, that obviously is directed at both sides.

Do you really think they'll change it if we win one? They really couldn't give a toss. It's a big payday for them so we're stuck with it.

This is spot on. I don't mind going by coach to a game if I choose to but I won't be told I must to then be herded like cattle in and out of the ground. Giving up 7-9 hours to watch a game is ridiculous when it's 10 miles away.

I know I wouldn't have a problem if I travelled with my lad and the same would apply to thousands of others. Those that want trouble would find it and with luck get banged up for months as a result.

Sam has part of the answer to make it a night match and longsiders suggestions re the police commissioner make a lot of sense.

Seriously I was stood with an old timer like myself last night and we said not one of the team last night would have got in the don mac era. At least the 80's team grafted and worked for one another . Last night I had no expectations but by Christ it was woeful.

Heaven help us then!

I think having to graft or not is a generation thing, do you not think?

Prior to the millennium everyone knew to get anywhere in any walk of life, you had to graft. Since, not just in football, to generalise there's a new generation of 'the world owes me a livingers'!

I've got my tin hat on!

It might be like it was in 2005 with a much bigger crowd, no travel restrictions and an evening game. ie. no problem at all.

All they've done is forced out the regular fans and ensured a much higher percentage of halfwits attend their one match of the season so they can act like dicks on a bus and bounce around behind police lines. Before anyone gets excited, that obviously is directed at both sides.

Do you really think they'll change it if we win one? They really couldn't give a toss. It's a big payday for them so we're stuck with it.

You're spot on here. These arrangements drive normal people away and create an atmosphere where any kind of anti-social or moronic behavious is acceptable to the authorities as long as people aren't fighting each other. Hence the routine vandalism at both grounds and the overly offensive chants.

Correct, more and more of the level headed fans won't put up with being treated like cattle which leaves more spare tickets for the mentally challenged 'fans' who behave like chimps on the loose from the zoo for the day - their behaviour allows the police to justify their OTT tactics and therefore it is a case of ever decreasing circles.

Until fans of both sides work together in a mutual boycott of the respective away matches nothing will change - which won't happen. Promotion or relegation for either club would seem the only 'solution' to this.

There is a cure for all this crazy behaviour; albeit a very drastic one!

The Football League/FA should decree that this fixture at both venues should be played behind closed doors i.e NO FANS AT ALL ALLOWED IN. Just one season of that should do the trick and restore normality and some semblance of civilisation as it always used to be.

So thousands of decent Burnley and Blackburn fans should be denied the chance to watch their teams simply because Lancashire Police are unable to police a relatively small football match without using tactics more suited to, well in truth I'm struggling to think of any group that if we routinely denied them some basic human right (e.g. freedom of movement) wouldn't prompt a public outcry, a media meltdown and most likely several cases in the European courts.

Hells bells games between other fierce rivals are policed in far less strict terms. It was asked last year, how would the Met respond if we both made it to the play off final?

There is a cure for all this crazy behaviour; albeit a very drastic one!

The Football League/FA should decree that this fixture at both venues should be played behind closed doors i.e NO FANS AT ALL ALLOWED IN. Just one season of that should do the trick and restore normality and some semblance of civilisation as it always used to be.

Sorry Fife but thats just bunkum, you'd be punishing people before any crime has even been committed.

The police are paid to police, and they should do just that, and allow people to make their own way to the games. What we see at both games currently is hundreds of police stood around doing nothing but patrolling empty space.

Won't happen I know, and plenty are glad of the restrictions in place, but I won't be going this season thats for sure, like Paul I'm not prepared to spend 7-9hrs of my time going to a game 15 miles away.

Yes I absolutely and fully agree with both Longsiders and Gav.....I never for even a microsecond expected or even wanted any such action to actually happen. I was simply making a point (and an undeniable one) that this particular football fixture is now unique in British Football in that it is the only one that gets treated in this ridiculous way which obviously upsets virtually every supporter of both sides, but which also undeniably creates more aggravation and physical damage to property than any other well known derby matches. I include in that even the much publicised Rangers v Celtic and all other similar "famous Derbies".

I simply cannot understand or accept the reasons why this East Lancs derby game has deteriorated into the complete and utter disgrace that it has become in very recent years. I have attended every one of these Derby matches at both venues as they have happened on every occasion over the years until this pantomime was started, but the point is that this was only started at the request of the police because of the absolutely unbelievably stupid and violent behaviour that has only recently appeared virtually out of nowhere and only by a totally lawless and incredibly stupid section of supporters (so called).

In years gone by I have attended Burnley/Rovers games and even in the years when there was no crowd segregation of any kind I have stood on the Longside at Burnley and have even taken my two young sons with me and all without ever having the slightest fear or trepidation that there would be any danger at all (nor was there)...nothing more than good natured banter. Can any of us do that now?? No we can't!! So do we ask ourselves why?

Well the answer is plain for all to see.... It is the sick society that we have become in very recent years. A combination of drunken behaviour and a total disregard for the rights and feelings of other people has infected our present day society, and is largely due to poor standards of upbringing and also poor education, and little understanding of standards of good behaviour and decency which in the past were drilled into kids from the cradle up. Mostly abandoned these days for a section of society that is now large enough to not only make it's presence felt, but to actually ride roughshod over all or any that still try to uphold the right values. This means that by and large a smallish minority of present day society can and does ride roughshod over everything and everybody that still tries to uphold the right moral values.

End of rant....could say a lot more but will hold my council for now.

If large numbers of fans with tickets made their own way to the match, the police would just let them all in to the ground.

They would not want hundreds/thousands of Rovers fans roaming the streets of Burnley on matchday.

This could make a great protest BTW as long as it was peaceful. :mellow:

Just a thought !

Might have to be a bit clever to beat the road blocks etc,

In years gone by I have attended Burnley/Rovers games and even in the years when there was no crowd segregation of any kind I have stood on the Longside at Burnley and have even taken my two young sons with me and all without ever having the slightest fear or trepidation that there would be any danger at all (nor was there)...nothing more than good natured banter. Can any of us do that now?? No we can't!! So do we ask ourselves why?

Well the answer is plain for all to see.... It is the sick society that we have become in very recent years. A combination of drunken behaviour and a total disregard for the rights and feelings of other people has infected our present day society, and is largely due to poor standards of upbringing and also poor education, and little understanding of standards of good behaviour and decency which in the past were drilled into kids from the cradle up. Mostly abandoned these days for a section of society that is now large enough to not only make it's presence felt, but to actually ride roughshod over all or any that still try to uphold the right values. This means that by and large a smallish minority of present day society can and does ride roughshod over everything and everybody that still tries to uphold the right moral values.

Well said.

Football hooliganism started to take hold in the 1960's Fife, these lads probably born just after the war, so to blame 'the sick society we've become in very recent years' is wide of the mark in my opinion.

Football hooliganism started to take hold in the 1960's Fife, these lads probably born just after the war, so to blame 'the sick society we've become in very recent years' is wide of the mark in my opinion.

I have to disagree with you there Gav. Football hooliganism in any sort of noticeable or fairly large scale way only appeared and became a problem at matches in the '70s. I well remember standing on the Riverside in the early '70s and listening to a couple of young men (not teenagers) sounding off for some considerable time with foul language (the F word and others). As the match progressed I and lots of others around me were getting more and more worked up about this loutish behaviour, and there were two or three ladies standing next to me who were obviously getting very distressed by this behaviour. So I tapped one of these guys on the shoulder and said something about watching the language, to which he replied advising me to "F-off" etc. So without more ado I walked down to front where the nearest police officer was standing and told him what was amiss. He immediately accompanied me back to where they were standing and expelled them from the ground. And for quite some time after that there was no noticeable problems with bad language on the areas of the ground where I went. Mostly Riverside or BBE.

There may have been isolated instances of bad language but certainly nothing noticeable and most certainly NOT in any way shape or form the sort of organised mob behaviour that is completely endemic throughout the game now.

Although most of you disagree with the policing at this game i for one think they do a sterling job in the circumstances. This is a fixture that in the past has seen it's fair share of violence mainly by the Burnley fans to their own town of the away toilets but having opposing fans free to roam around their rivals patch is a disaster waiting to happen.

Yeh waiting on the coach and being ferried in isn't great but we're all there to watch a game of football and whether we like it or not it's going to stay the same but as long as we put in a decent performance on the pitch then who gives a monkies if we're stuck on a coach for an extra hour after the game?

I went to the game at Burnley last season and i was on a coach that a more than half cooked guy kicked the window through just as he started to see the Burnley fans so this small minority of fans spoil it for the rest of us i'm afraid.

I do know a few people who tell me that they used to go and watch Rovers if they were at home and Burnley were away - and that they knew plenty of Rovers who did the same.

But the violence that started growing exponentially in the 70's until the mid/late 80s made such things impossible.

Although most of you disagree with the policing at this game i for one think they do a sterling job in the circumstances. This is a fixture that in the past has seen it's fair share of violence mainly by the Burnley fans to their own town of the away toilets but having opposing fans free to roam around their rivals patch is a disaster waiting to happen.

Yeh waiting on the coach and being ferried in isn't great but we're all there to watch a game of football and whether we like it or not it's going to stay the same but as long as we put in a decent performance on the pitch then who gives a monkies if we're stuck on a coach for an extra hour after the game?

I went to the game at Burnley last season and i was on a coach that a more than half cooked guy kicked the window through just as he started to see the Burnley fans so this small minority of fans spoil it for the rest of us i'm afraid.

Come on you've got your fair share - and recent posts on here suggest it might be a growing share.

The facts are that last season an average of around 13000 Burnley fans attended each week at turf moor and around 14500 at Ewood. Of that how many are actually interested in causing trouble? Out of close to 30,000 people I'd be surprised if 500 did, less than 1% - yet the rather than dealing with the 1% they punish the 99% - either poor policing or, even more worryingly, a complete lack of confidence in themselves to manage the situation

• Backroom

If large numbers of fans with tickets made their own way to the match, the police would just let them all in to the ground.

They would not want hundreds/thousands of Rovers fans roaming the streets of Burnley on matchday.

This could make a great protest BTW as long as it was peaceful. :mellow:

Just a thought !

Might have to be a bit clever to beat the road blocks etc,

And how would you suppose they would get the tickets?

Yes I absolutely and fully agree with both Longsiders and Gav.....I never for even a microsecond expected or even wanted any such action to actually happen. I was simply making a point (and an undeniable one) that this particular football fixture is now unique in British Football in that it is the only one that gets treated in this ridiculous way which obviously upsets virtually every supporter of both sides, but which also undeniably creates more aggravation and physical damage to property than any other well known derby matches. I include in that even the much publicised Rangers v Celtic and all other similar "famous Derbies".

I simply cannot understand or accept the reasons why this East Lancs derby game has deteriorated into the complete and utter disgrace that it has become in very recent years. I have attended every one of these Derby matches at both venues as they have happened on every occasion over the years until this pantomime was started, but the point is that this was only started at the request of the police because of the absolutely unbelievably stupid and violent behaviour that has only recently appeared virtually out of nowhere and only by a totally lawless and incredibly stupid section of supporters (so called).

Great post and fully agreed.

Why is the focus shifted onto the policing methods?

If the idiots who cause trouble knew how to behave, there wouldn't be the need to stretch our local police force.

I do know a few people who tell me that they used to go and watch Rovers if they were at home and Burnley were away - and that they knew plenty of Rovers who did the same.

But the violence that started growing exponentially in the 70's until the mid/late 80s made such things impossible.

Come on you've got your fair share - and recent posts on here suggest it might be a growing share.

The facts are that last season an average of around 13000 Burnley fans attended each week at turf moor and around 14500 at Ewood. Of that how many are actually interested in causing trouble? Out of close to 30,000 people I'd be surprised if 500 did, less than 1% - yet the rather than dealing with the 1% they punish the 99% - either poor policing or, even more worryingly, a complete lack of confidence in themselves to manage the situation

Granted but these were the 2 high profile cases.

Why is the focus shifted onto the policing methods?

Simply because its not consistent around the country, how can 50k mancs attend the derby without such restrictions? 60k old firm, 30k in Sheffield, 40K in Liverpool etc etc.

All the games above have potential for trouble, and in much bigger numbers, thats why the focus is on policing methods.

I have to disagree with you there Gav. Football hooliganism in any sort of noticeable or fairly large scale way only appeared and became a problem at matches in the '70s.

I was always under the impression it started in 60's, but without doubt was rife during the 70's and early 80's at Ewood.

Question is would it really take any more officers to adequately police the town centre, train station and outside the ground for a 12.15 kick off than the army of them flying up and down the M65 in 2 & 4's in 4wds. Not mention the dozens of full vans and those on horseback and the riot squad on stand by ? No it wouldn't but this way it's a p##s easy day for them and a paid for training exercise. If this game continues for a few seasons they'll strangle the life out of it aided by the clubs charging stupid prices.

• Backroom

You have to collect them on the day, do you ?

Sorry did'nt know that !

To be honest I'm not 100% (sorry reading back my reply looked a little blunt) but when I went to the premier league game I'm sure you got it once you were on the coach

Archived