BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Best Rovers X1 of the 70s

darrenrover

Don Martin was a class act. Unfortunately, never quite the same when he had broken his ankle.

Would replace Metcalfe in midfield with Ken Knighton. Metcalfe never quite fulfilled his potential and who can forget how he used to go round in circles ! Knighton was dynamite - real box to box with a superb shot (I cringe when I think of Jason Lowe !).

Talking of midfielders, who can forget "give us a goal, give us a goal, Barrie Hole".

Ken Knighton was some player, as you say he was a real dynamo in midfield with a tremendous shot in his left foot. He liked a tackle as well. When you look at some of the zombies we've had recently in midfield it makes you want to cry.

Sir Roger

Heaton, Hawkins, Hunter, Bailey

Brotherston, Knighton, McKenzie, Wagstaffe

Field, Martin.

Subs: Endean, O'Mara, Coddington, Craig, Arentoft, Round....

Coddington would be handy for the penalty shoot outs.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don was a wonderful footballer who could play centre-back, centre-forward or midfield. For me, 'The Don' was better than anything we have in the present squad by country mile.

wonderful player and equally a nice chap as well.

I remember when we won promotion in 1975, he had a fag afterwards with my Rovers scarf draped around his neck.

I still see John Waddington when he returns from Portugal ( and his millions ) to see his Mum.....another decent chap.

What about sir Rogers understudy Paul Bradshaw brief but a quality goalkeeper non the less.

Tony Field surely has to be in any Rovers seventies team definitely along with David Bradford from midfield.

Plus Mick Heaton as full back what a solid guy for Rovers.

Ken Knighton was some player, as you say he was a real dynamo in midfield with a tremendous shot in his left foot. He liked a tackle as well. When you look at some of the zombies we've had recently in midfield it makes you want to cry.

Coddington would be handy for the penalty shoot outs.

You serious ? About Coddington not ken Knighton .

Tony Field what a player !

Sir Roger Jones only Brad better ...

David Wagstaffe absolutely fantastic footballer !

Happy memories !

The only happy memories of the 1970's was the 74-75 season.

What about sir Rogers understudy Paul Bradshaw brief but a quality goalkeeper non the less.

Tony Field surely has to be in any Rovers seventies team definitely along with David Bradford from midfield.

Plus Mick Heaton as full back what a solid guy for Rovers.

Kick off the ITV weekly Friday football show, had a save of the season competition for a few seasons and I remember Paul Bradshaw winning that. He flung himself to his left to pull off a great save and as the striker move in to tap it into the net, he flung himself again and scooped it away from him. It was a breath taking save and quite rightly won the prize.

I think we sold Paul to Wolves, who were in the top flight at the time, but not too sure what happened to him after that.

Malcolm Darling- is the club steward at Pleasington Golf Club these days. An absolute gentleman.

Seem to remember we beat Portsmouth 4-0 in the FA Cup at Ewood and he scored a hat trick

Bobby Mitchell ??

Yeah that was a real hat trick as well, right foot shot, left foot shot and a header. I always thought he had it in him to be a top player. He was quick, tricky and knew where the goals where. He just seemed to fizzle out like a few other very promising young players we had at that time. I suppose he played for us at a bad time really.

Give him my regards please.

Andy Burgin as left back probably more dependable than Bailey defensively, Howard Kendall has to fit in somewhere too.

I thought Andy was a excellent all round full back. A good defender who was neat and tidy on the ball, he was a very good passing player.

Tony Field what a player !

Sir Roger Jones only Brad better ...

David Wagstaffe absolutely fantastic footballer !

Happy memories !

What about the ace goal poacher that was Bobby Svarc? Seem to remember he finished up running a burglar alarm business!!

Lethal from 4 yards out..........

What about the ace goal poacher that was Bobby Svarc? Seem to remember he finished up running a burglar alarm business!!

Lethal from 4 yards out..........

I'm alarmed that you only remember him for his tap ins!

Archived