BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Craig Conway

Still need to score goals Gordon. Go and look at the W and F columns in the league table for the 7 teams above us.

But he is right - the negative aspects of Rhodes game does impact the way we play - and the way teams play against us. The one positive thing - with Gestede having such an impact towards the end of the season - we may find (if we can hang onto both) that Rhodes gets more space and time.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really like Conway. His attitude and work rate is second to none, and he also creates so many chances with his crossing.

Read somewhere that he has one of the best assist records in the league over the last year or so, and that's no surprise.

Some happy facts (data from whoscored.com):

• He is rated 13th highest (out of 338 players) in the Championship with 7.35 points. (Duffy is 8th and Hanley 16th.)
  • He plays more "key passes" per game (4) than anyone else in the league.
  • He plays more crosses per game (4) than anyone else in the league (Judge and Gallagher are 2nd and 3rd!).
  • He has more than twice as many assists as any other Rover (5).
  • He draws more fouls than any other other Rover.

and he works hard too!

The ones mentioned could probably be classed as skilful tricky wingers where as Conway is a bit more robust and direct. I suppose that's what a winger is now though so he's probably a standard modern day British wide player. Probably nearer to being a latter day windy Miller for me in as much as he's tirelessly up and down the wing, doesn't have the pace but more end product.

You could also maybe compare him to Sellars in as much as when he's on form then the team usually prospers and runs out winners. Didn't see Wagstaff and all I can remember about Brotherston is he could beat players with ease but missed chances with equal ease, maybe that's harsh but I don't recall him that well for some reason. My attention was always on Windy attacking the bburn end and getting the crowd going.

OK then, Brian Hill, Don Hutchins, Pat Hilton, Bobby Hoy, Mark Patterson etc ?

The last name there is probably the closest of all the ones you've mentioned in style to Conway. At least he would have been if he'd played in a wider role in the latter stages of his career. Patty was a little less robust while at Ewood, but as he got older and stronger he became a very tough tackler indeed. Also struck a decent cross and dead ball. Sellars, Waggy and Noel were not only different in style, they were probably a class above the Conways of this world. That isn't a criticism of the fella, because pound for pound I can't think of many better signings in recent times (including Gestede)

Loved Scott Sellars. A player who got you off your seat with his mazey runs.

Conway defo a good signing.

Scott Sellars saw Mark Patterson off the premises at Rovers and at Bolton several years later as well. Patty visibly winces whenever you mention his name lol. The goal Scottie scored v Derby in the play off semi final at Ewood was an absolute beauty, and just when we needed it too!

Edit - in case anybody else corrects this I've now realised that I was confusing Mike Newell's goal with Sellar's against Leeds. Sign of age I'm afraid.

Scott Sellars saw Mark Patterson off the premises at Rovers and at Bolton several years later as well. Patty visibly winces whenever you mention his name lol. The goal Scottie scored v Derby in the play off semi final at Ewood was an absolute beauty, and just when we needed it too!

Seem to Remember a corker at home to Leeds one Easter, long mazey run and top corner.

How would he compare with the other wingers we've had this level before ? Like for instance Scott Sellars, David Wagstaffe, Noël Brotherston etc ? Just interested in other peoples views.

Let's hope we are saying this summer that Conway got promoted to the top flight with Rovers and sadly none of those three (incomparably better players) did....

How would he compare with the other wingers we've had this level before ? Like for instance Scott Sellars, David Wagstaffe, Noël Brotherston etc ? Just interested in other peoples views.

All sub - standard to Duff 😃

Archived