BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

GOLF

• Backroom
1 hour ago, matt83 said:

Can’t be doing with the tiger watch coverage. I bet 50% of all shots shown in total are his. If include practice putts even more.

Even when he’s not on the course they show live coverage of him leaving and arriving. It was barely tolerable when he was the best in the world now he’s a middle of the road player on one leg it’s too much.

Completely disagree. Bask in his glory.

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Completely disagree. Bask in his glory.

It’s not even the fact they show every single one of his shots then only really shots from other people that are either good or bad. It’s live coverage of him walking from tee to green. Since his final putt the only coverage has been him walking to the clubhouse, highlights of his round and a lengthy interview.

At least I can enjoy watching the golf now the circus has left town 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

More news on Phil Mickelson; ESPN - Mickelson lost over $40m over 4 years gambling

An unauthorised biography of him is coming out. A teaser published is reporting that he lost over $40m over 4 years. If true no wonder he wants that Saudi cash.

I've heard stories about him, so have no reason not to believe the claim.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

More news on Phil Mickelson; ESPN - Mickelson lost over $40m over 4 years gambling

An unauthorised biography of him is coming out. A teaser published is reporting that he lost over $40m over 4 years. If true no wonder he wants that Saudi cash.

I've heard stories about him, so have no reason not to believe the claim.

I feel sorry for him. Addiction is a terrible thing.

On 10/05/2022 at 04:25, oldjamfan1 said:

I feel sorry for him. Addiction is a terrible thing.

Surely it would have come out by now if he did have a problem. He's been in the public eye for 30 years.  

He signed up to play in the PGA championship this weekend but he dropped out last week. He's the defending champ so it must have been a hard decision for him.

7 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Surely it would have come out by now if he did have a problem. He's been in the public eye for 30 years.  

He signed up to play in the PGA championship this weekend but he dropped out last week. He's the defending champ so it must have been a hard decision for him.

If the $40 million in 4 years thing is true, then he definitely has a problem. Addiction can strike at any time and its not unusual for fading sports stars to try and replace the 'kick' they got from their sport with something else (notwithstanding his surprise USPGA victory last year)

6 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

If the $40 million in 4 years thing is true, then he definitely has a problem. Addiction can strike at any time and its not unusual for fading sports stars to try and replace the 'kick' they got from their sport with something else (notwithstanding his surprise USPGA victory last year)

There's something not right with him. Maybe he does realise that the end is coming.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Backroom

DJ making a bit of a clown of himself these last few days.

Needs to go to Saudi as it's "what's best for his family", and he felt "he was going to have to play golf forever, this way I won't have to."

Must have been really struggling on those $75 million career earnings. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

• Backroom

Played the round of my life yesterday, my first round at Pleasington GC!

Stroke index 17.6, so standard handicap of 18. Course index meant I played a 21 handicap (so the course played difficult).

Scored 87 gross, for a net 66! 5 under par!

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
50 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I always thought that there would be more golf talk on this board. 

Anyway, big news today in the professional world; LIV, the PGA, and the DP world tour are merging; BBC: golf merger happening.

Saudi money proved to be too powerful.

Someone got very rich, very quickly

American golfer Michael Kim said: "The hell is going on? Very curious how many people knew this deal was happening. About 5-7 people? Player run organisation right?"

• Backroom

Feel a bit sorry for McIlroy. Turned down $500,000,000 to stick up for the PGA, risking friendships and professional relationships in the process and now this…

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Feel a bit sorry for McIlroy. Turned down $500,000,000 to stick up for the PGA, risking friendships and professional relationships in the process and now this…

It will be interesting to see what he says in his press conference later on.

What happens to the players who were told they aren’t eligible for the Ryder Cup team (because they ‘jumped ship’)??

Edited by wilsdenrover

• Moderation Lead

This whole situation is a complete shambles. Like others, I feel for McIlroy!

What the hell happens with the Ryder Cup selection now?

One thing is for sure, I can’t see the PFA top boy surviving this. His credibility is shot.

• Backroom
27 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

This whole situation is a complete shambles. Like others, I feel for McIlroy!

What the hell happens with the Ryder Cup selection now?

One thing is for sure, I can’t see the PFA top boy surviving this. His credibility is shot.

How does Ben Purkiss have anything to do with this? 😉

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Not paid any attention to golf for years.

What's the drama?

The pga tour sort of holds a monopoly of the elite players and most lucrative tournaments. Not the most prestigious (the open) and not all such as the race to Dubai. A Saudi backed organisation called liv golf sprung up and started offering obscene amounts of money to top players and journeymen to play in their invitational series. More Arab sports washing. 

Outwardly the pga tour were massively offended about the Saudis human rights record and sports washing but in reality it was simply damaging their brand. So they said any golfer who goes wouldn’t be allowed on their tour (effectively 3/4 majors), etc, etc.

Mcilroy as pretty much the most famous golfer and someone who valued prestige of the tournament rather than millionaire golfers just getting richer at nothing events was used by the pga as their poster boy for the anti liv campaign. Got him to challenge and criticise fellow pros publicly, etc. All the while the pga (who were officially disgusted at Liv and their backers) were making a secret deal with them whilst still sending mcilroy to the trenches.

Whilst Mcilroy probably believes everything he stood for he was very much hung out to fry by the pga tour who he was representing 

• Like 2

Money always talks in the end matt83.....

I don't know any poor professional golfers, certainly not at the level you talk about above. If you have £50m in your bank whats the difference between £50m and £100m? You and your family are all made for life and living a life of luxury on £50m, its just greed in my opinion, ruining sport across the world. 

• Moderation Lead

Rahm and McIlroy were offered £200 Million to join LIV, they turned it down, then LIV ultimately merged with the PGA Tour anyhow. Rahm has spoken about wanting to be compensated, as he’s £200 Million down for staying with a tour that ultimately merged with the rival one anyway. The lad’s got a point tbf.

• Like 1

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Rahm and McIlroy were offered £200 Million to join LIV, they turned it down, then LIV ultimately merged with the PGA Tour anyhow. Rahm has spoken about wanting to be compensated, as he’s £200 Million down for staying with a tour that ultimately merged with the rival one anyway. The lad’s got a point tbf.

Completely agree, and that’s the minimum compensation imo. The risk they were taking in their personal and professional lives adds to it.

On 19/06/2023 at 14:33, K-Hod said:

Sue the PGA, MBS will pay quickly to avoid adverse comment on his sports washing.

For the first time I'm beginning to have doubts that Rory will win another major. His driving last week was phenomenal, its as well as I have seen him drive the ball for years. The rest of the game the especially on Sunday just like at St Andrews last year was far too conservative, on both occasions he played like someone trying not to lose rather than trying to go out and win. 

The way he played the 14th on Sunday epitomised it, he has to be going for the green with that 2nd shot rather than laying up, the 14th was the last real scoreable hole on the course. You get the feeling if he is going to get another major victory it will most likely be from a final round comeback.

I didn't think that LACC was a good course for a US Open, Clark's tee shot on the last finding the fairway rather summed up it's problems.

On 19/06/2023 at 18:03, matt83 said:

The pga tour sort of holds a monopoly of the elite players and most lucrative tournaments. Not the most prestigious (the open) and not all such as the race to Dubai. A Saudi backed organisation called liv golf sprung up and started offering obscene amounts of money to top players and journeymen to play in their invitational series. More Arab sports washing. 

Outwardly the pga tour were massively offended about the Saudis human rights record and sports washing but in reality it was simply damaging their brand. So they said any golfer who goes wouldn’t be allowed on their tour (effectively 3/4 majors), etc, etc.

Mcilroy as pretty much the most famous golfer and someone who valued prestige of the tournament rather than millionaire golfers just getting richer at nothing events was used by the pga as their poster boy for the anti liv campaign. Got him to challenge and criticise fellow pros publicly, etc. All the while the pga (who were officially disgusted at Liv and their backers) were making a secret deal with them whilst still sending mcilroy to the trenches.

Whilst Mcilroy probably believes everything he stood for he was very much hung out to fry by the pga tour who he was representing 

I haven't paid any attention to golf since I stopped greenkeeping ten years ago.

The Saudis may be able to get some people to overlook their crimes but I will always label them as perpetrators of genocide. I'm not shallow enough to find flashing a bit of cash about impressive.

Edited by Upside Down