BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

GOLF

Become the greatest golfer of all time?

Lol. Not sure he will ever take Jack's mantle. He could have done though, had he been a little less unlucky with injuries. I never thought I'd see a better putter than Woods but Speith looks to be......so far.

• Backroom

Being a very fair season golf watcher (as in just the masters) Spieth comes across as a dull golf robot, I thought he was going to walk it. Still not easy to watch the meltdown at times.

The Ryder Cup is the best spectacle for me in golf. That comeback win a few years ago was one of the all-time greatest sporting triumphs imo.

Indeed. And the flip side to that was Brookline - the only time I've ever felt remotely like I did at Selhurst Park in 1989.

• Like 1

Are we having the unofficial BRFCC.com golf day this year then? I'll leave a message at Pleasy for 'drog to trap up as well if we can get something sorted - Al was talking about asking Baxenden GC about something last year if I remember rightly??

Anyway, I'm off to Portugal on Monday for 5 nights and 4 rounds of golf - bloody great.

• Backroom

Are we having the unofficial BRFCC.com golf day this year then? I'll leave a message at Pleasy for 'drog to trap up as well if we can get something sorted - Al was talking about asking Baxenden GC about something last year if I remember rightly??

Anyway, I'm off to Portugal on Monday for 5 nights and 4 rounds of golf - bloody great.

We definitely should, let's get on it!

Sorry guys but due to kidney problems, and dialysis, I can no longer walk around a golf course and have had to resign from the golf club. If you get enough to play I am sure they will accommodate you however and I will act as intermediary if you let me know how many will be playing.

By the way I still hope to recover enough to play using a buggy at some time in the future but it will take a while.

Sorry guys but due to kidney problems, and dialysis, I can no longer walk around a golf course and have had to resign from the golf club. If you get enough to play I am sure they will accommodate you however and I will act as intermediary if you let me know how many will be playing.

By the way I still hope to recover enough to play using a buggy at some time in the future but it will take a while.

Bloody hell Al, sorry to hear that. Hope you get better soon, I'll go shotgun in that buggy when you do.

• Backroom

Maybe you could caddy us? Provide some dry, drawl commentary on our inept shots?

• Backroom

Bloody hell, he'd have a field day with my rustiness!

I'm imagining him being like my Uncle:

'What a beautiful shot!!.....just shame it's going to the pond and not the fairway.'

Maybe you could caddy us? Provide some dry, drawl commentary on our inept shots?

Thanks for your concern guys but I'm not even ready for a buggy yet but I'm improving slowly as I get more dialysis. Probably be next spring before I'm ready to venture forth. I even have to have a seat in the Jack Walker Lower as opposed to the Upper at the moment because I can't manage the steps. Rovers have been very accommodating though and I will not lose my original seat when I am fit enough again.

Thanks for your concern guys but I'm not even ready for a buggy yet but I'm improving slowly as I get more dialysis. Probably be next spring before I'm ready to venture forth. I even have to have a seat in the Jack Walker Lower as opposed to the Upper at the moment because I can't manage the steps. Rovers have been very accommodating though and I will not lose my original seat when I am fit enough again.

Sorry to read about your troubles, Al. Best of luck with your recovery.

I'm off tomorrow playing my home course. 6.2 kms of hard play. Can't ever get the better of it. It has a slope rating of 133, a couple of really long par 4's, and a few par 5's that absolutely destroy me. Of course, the wind always comes hard at you from the south. For some reason they made the greens like glass, over touch, miss and you're gone!

Having said that, there's always one shot that will get me back thinking I can master it........

www.theridgegolf.com.au photos are old, there's a lot more trees around now. It would have to be one of the best municipal courses in Aust.

• 3 months later...

I went to the Open at Troon today, my first ever visit to a professional golf tournament after being a TV fan since childhood. I watched some of the early groups go through the Postage Stamp (par 3 8th hole) but I had my sights set on trying to follow, as best I could, the Els/Mickelson/Westwood group round their 18 holes.

Talk about beginner's luck!!!

Never thought I'd get sunburnt in Scotland but there you go!!!

• 2 months later...

So Ryder cup tee off today at 1.35. I would personally consider football (less so these days) and cricket as better than golf but I rank the Ryder cup as probably my favourite sporting event. And for all I wouldn't tune in to a random Scandinavian tour I wouldn't miss this. In fact was due to go Bham not any more.

Just to spice things up Danny Willett's brother called "US golf fans fat stupid classless @#/?s. Who are a baying mob of imbeciles, angry unwashed, etc etc." The Americans are naturally livid at this but the irony is to prove Danny Willett's brother wrong I'm sure they will act like fat stupid classless baying mob of imbeciles.

Edited by matt83
  • Like 2