BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

GOLF

Just now, Mike E said:

Wish we were the same, unfortunately golf is completely locked down too.

Not that I've ever been within 2 metres of another player thanks to my wicked slice.

Mike, I know what you mean, I had a slice that was sooooo bad. Fixed it by bringing my top hand more over the club shaft.

Try it and keep the leading arm as straight as possible at impact. It feels awkward to start with but muscle memory makes it easier after a while.

• Backroom
44 minutes ago, dave birch said:

Mike, I know what you mean, I had a slice that was sooooo bad. Fixed it by bringing my top hand more over the club shaft.

Try it and keep the leading arm as straight as possible at impact. It feels awkward to start with but muscle memory makes it easier after a while.

I'm practicing keeping my takeaway more 'out' rather than bringing it in. That way, as I drop from the top I come from inside. Producing a slight draw at the range, but unfortunately not been able to get on the course yet this tear. Even the ranges have shut now.

1 hour ago, Yoogo said:

I'm not a fan of golf, but my favourite episode of Losers on Netflix is the one about Jean Van Der Velde (hope I've spelled that correctly). He could have walked that last hole by playing it safe, but went all out with risk and blew it by whacking it into the water!

The putt he sank to get into the play-off is probably the bravest putt I have ever seen. 

Just now, Yoogo said:

That was also the year that France won the World Cup. Would have been some year if van de Velde (that's how you spell it!) had kept his cool. He seemed like a really great bloke, and has done some good things for the sport since then, but I bet deep down it must eat at him. The photo of him standing in the water (and still being able to give a smile) is iconic.

I suppose the irony is that, had he won it, I'd have never known that he exists, but because he failed, I'm fully aware of him. It's definitely a story that sticks in the mind, whereas winning the tournament wouldn't stick in the mind. Does that make sense? ?

It does. He could play that hole 100 times and do the job on 99 of them. I remember being gutted for him at the time, despite a Brit winning in the end. It was straight out of the movie Tin Cup. 

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Yoogo said:

I don't know much about golf, but given how far ahead he was, wouldn't it have seen him comfortably over the line?

Most likely, yes, but what happened to him happens to no pro ever. 99 other times out of 100, he'd have been safe.

I'm only just learning about using statistics to inform my own game, and (until lockdown) was seeing fantastic results. IE: play to 'your game's rather than 'safe'.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike, you might be playing sooner, now that the R & A have decided to implement new procedures. Procedures that we have been playing to for four or five weeks.

Since their introduction down here, the longest round I've played was 3 hours 15m and that included a fair amount of waiting as we caught up with the group in front.

• Backroom
46 minutes ago, dave birch said:

Mike, you might be playing sooner, now that the R & A have decided to implement new procedures. Procedures that we have been playing to for four or five weeks.

Since their introduction down here, the longest round I've played was 3 hours 15m and that included a fair amount of waiting as we caught up with the group in front.

Really hope so. My pro has emailed me to offer discount coaching sessions til the year end after he found out my wife wants to get into golf.

Nothing sinister ofc ?

• 4 weeks later...

Off work this coming week so looking to fill my boots whilst avoiding home duties. So having not played this year decided blow the cobwebs off this morning. ?. Since I was a junior I’ve hit a long ball off the tee but today that just meant heading into the wilderness diagonally. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Backroom
On 22/07/2020 at 14:25, Mike E said:

My best ever round this morning, 83 gross at Accrington GC!

Unfortunately means my handicap is now 11, so have to keep up that level of golf!

Played as bad as I've played all year today, 102 gross at Mytton Fold. Never played there before but those hills are unnecessary! Too tired to play properly.

Handicap 12 (11.7).

Certainly not my experience when I learnt as a kid. Initially the golf swing seemed unfathomable to me. So many little things had to remember. Weight over balls of feet, knees slightly bent, arse out, left arm straight, cock wrists, head/legs/body still, transfer the weight, follow through straight, etc. Or something like that.

As I used to think what bit comes next it was too late. My grandad said to me it’s not like driving a car golf takes practice. ?. Everyone has their own style I suppose if I replicated Jim furyk’s swing doubt I’d get the ball airborne but the best advice I got was on the back swing if ends up with right elbow tucked in and hand like carrying a tray won’t be far away. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderation Lead

Had my first round this week. Went round Stonyhurst with my old man. My chipping is not something I need to work on, but my driving and putting definitely is!

My old man was hyped and gave me a shoulder tap after I chipped onto the green from miles away on the last hole then sank the resulting putt. We don’t need to talk about how many shots it took to reach that position though!! Been at the driving range a couple of times since and had more joy with the drives.

Had much more luck with the hybrid, but practice makes perfect as they say!

I’m obviously not expecting perfection, but certainly steady improvement!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Had my second ever round on Monday at Towneley. Given I lost ten (golf) balls on my first round and I lost two this time, I’d say that was a marked improvement!

My dad played off scratch but I was never compelled to try it . I’ve no patience and id find the above soul destroying . I’ve only ever played cricket and football but both to a fairly high standard . I think I’d be a disaster at golf 

• 2 months later...