BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

GOLF

• 1 month later...

Sensational last 11 holes from Justin Rose. And yet I somehow still can't see him winning it. I hope I'm wrong as he should have at least a couple more majors in his back pocket than he actually has.

Speith recovered well from his triple bogey, especially given his history on this course.

• Like 2

I listened to a Justin Rose interview earlier in the week talking about how welcoming Augusta is to everyone, a great place to play golf, a warm welcome goes without saying.

I drove into the driveway of Augusta a few years ago and was chased down the approach to the main building by armed guards and bollocked for daring to turn off the highway into the drive, and politely told to F......go away in that polite American way....

"We've turned US presidents away, what makes you so special"?

😃

Edited by Gav

1 hour ago, Gav said:

I listened to a Justin Rose interview earlier in the week talking about how welcoming Augusta is to everyone, a great place to play golf, a warm welcome goes without saying.

I drove into the driveway of Augusta a few years ago and was chased down the approach to the main building by armed guards and bollocked for daring to turn off the highway into the drive, and politely told to F......go away in that polite American way....

😃

They don’t tolerate riff-raff Gav. Simple as that really mate 😉

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gav said:

😃

A friend of mine rented a holiday home some years ago and was about 70 miles from Augusta. Towards the end of their holiday he suggested to his wife that they drive down to Augusta just to see where the course was situated.

They drove down and parked nearby and his wife dared him to approach the security barrier and speak to the attendants, which he did. The driveway on the approach was beautifully manicured and pristine. There were 2 armed attendants and he spoke to one of them and asked if it were possible to just have a peak at the venue, explaining they had travelled from the UK.

The attendant was very obliging and offered to drive him on a golf buggy to the club house and to get a quick look at the course, which he did. Everything was serene and was like the driveway, beautifully manicured. They rode back to the security gate and my friend thanked the guy and said that he had achieved a life’s ambition and it was a dream come true for him to be at the same place as icons such as Jack, Tiger and Rory.

The attendant replied, “I’m sorry to disappoint you Sir but this is not Augusta National, this is Augusta Municipal.

😄

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Gav said:

We ended up at Augusta municipal before finding the National Rick 😆

I think that when this pandemic is over and travel is allowed back to the USA, for those on the BRFC’s site that play golf, we should arrange a trip and play Augusta Municipal and a few others in the area.

Maybe Mr Waggott may sponsor the event and provide a trophy for the winner because I’ve heard he is a generous sort of a person.

We could call it ‘The Coventrio Trophy’ for all the great work they are doing for our famous football club.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Been saying for years that I'd love to play more golf with members on here. Partly because I like playing different courses (not a member anywhere for that reason) and partly because you can never meet too many Rovers.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Phil Mickelson won the US PGA at 50. 8 years after his last major. 

Koepka aside, the top 5 was a throwback to 10/15 years ago; Mickelson, Oosthuizen, Harrington, Lowry. 

There was a full crowd on too. They were enjoying themselves.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Phil Mickelson won the US PGA at 50. 8 years after his last major. 

Koepka aside, the top 5 was a throwback to 10/15 years ago; Mickelson, Oosthuizen, Harrington, Lowry. 

There was a full crowd on too. They were enjoying themselves.

It was an awful final round, they all tried to throw it away, but happy for Mickelson, a good guy of the game. 

• 1 month later...
  • Backroom

Played 36 at Sunningdale yesterday in a work comp, and happened to be paired with an ex-pro who works at one of our shops essentially turning it into a teaching round too. Honestly, bucket list stuff.

My handicap is 17, and the World system meant I played off 19 on both courses.

New course first, hit 90! On a Championship course! Dream stuff, including a birdie and a couple of good pars, as well as an 8 after getting stuck in a pot bunker.

Old course in the afternoon, immaculately cut and pins placed ready for the Senior Open Championship in 2 weeks. Shot 94! Again managed a birdie on a driveable par 4!

Incredible experience.

When are us lot going to get on a course??

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Mike E said:

Played 36 at Sunningdale yesterday in a work comp, and happened to be paired with an ex-pro who works at one of our shops essentially turning it into a teaching round too. Honestly, bucket list stuff.

My handicap is 17, and the World system meant I played off 19 on both courses.

New course first, hit 90! On a Championship course! Dream stuff, including a birdie and a couple of good pars, as well as an 8 after getting stuck in a pot bunker.

Old course in the afternoon, immaculately cut and pins placed ready for the Senior Open Championship in 2 weeks. Shot 94! Again managed a birdie on a driveable par 4!

Incredible experience.

When are us lot going to get on a course??

Great stuff Mike, well played mate

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Open week? Who do you fancy to win?

I always want Westy.

A shame it is at Royal St George, we've waited 2 years for the Open and it comes back at that awful course. Always very difficult to pick a winner in a golf major with so many good players but my each ways bet's are on Viktor Hovland, Harris English and Xander Schauffele.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

A shame it is at Royal St George, we've waited 2 years for the Open and it comes back at that awful course. Always very difficult to pick a winner in a golf major with so many good players but my each ways bet's are on Viktor Hovland, Harris English and Xander Schauffele.

Agreed, not keen myself. Plenty of better courses in England, then of course the true links courses in Scotland and NI are wonderful.

Hovland is a tidy outsider, as is Min Woo Lee (who I favoured even before the Scottish Open win purely because of Rick Shiels) 🤣

Louis Oosthuizen's form in the majors this year has been very good, he just doesn't seem able to close one out. Hovland is a good bet, as is Speith. But if I were to stick my neck out and pick a winner it would have to be Koepka. Even at 75% he has the game to win major tournaments. An incredible player.

• Like 1

I got home from work and thought i'd stick the golf on the tv only to remember it's not live on the BBC anymore,i don't have Sky as i refuse to pay the price they charge per month.What happened to the crown jewels of sports that had to be shown live on free tv,isn't the Open one of them  or are there no crown jewels anymore?

5 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

I got home from work and thought i'd stick the golf on the tv only to remember it's not live on the BBC anymore,i don't have Sky as i refuse to pay the price they charge per month.What happened to the crown jewels of sports that had to be shown live on free tv,isn't the Open one of them  or are there no crown jewels anymore?

The so called 'crown jewels' do still exist but the Open was always on the B list which means that there only has to be a sufficient amount of highlights on free to air. It is only events that are on the A list that have to be shown live on free to air.