BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

Very disappointing performance tonight against an exceptionally good Everton side.  Too many players simply had an off night and didn't really turn up until the last 20 minutes.  Doyle made an uncharacteristic mistake early on to gift them a penalty and we never really got back in the game after that.  In fairness, Everton were excellent - which they have been all season to lift the title.  Davenport was probably our best player over 90 minutes in terms of keeping possession.  Nuttall was very disappointing up front and Chapman was very hot and cold - scored a good goal, had a decent effort saved but was otherwise largely anonymous.  Buckley couldn't make an impact in midfield, Tyler and Charly Doyle had indifferent games by their standards and Danny Butterworth couldn't really make things happen.  We livened up a bit when Stefan Mols came on and we went to a 4-4-2 formation.  However, Everton were worthy winners and look good to win this trophy.

• Like 5

On 23/04/2019 at 10:18, Parsonblue said:

That brought back memories Paul.  I remember Luke Staton playing for our youth and reserves - must be nearly twenty years ago, frightening how quickly times passes.  If I remember rightly he had a brief spell with Bolton after we released him and then ended up playing in Wales.

15 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Fantastic lad and very very talented. Does lots for my company now from a motivational stand point. I wasn’t sure if he went to Ireland?

I'm pretty sure I saw him play in a televised European Cup qualification  or pre season friendly match once back in the day. Him playing central midfield for a welsh team (Barry Town maybe?) against a big hitter (thought it was Real Madrid, but can't find any info about it, so guess that must be wrong). Don't recall much about it, other than he shot a mindboggling freekick from 35-40 yards that hit the root of the post (or just outside the post). Tremendous power on the shot. 

I knew his name because of earlier games of Football Manager (Championship Manager really). 

Maybe all this was a dream though, as it seems far fetched, and I can't find info that totally matches my recollection. Maybe it was the match they won against Porto in 2001/2002. At least a Luke Staton started that match (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/wales/1467218.stm).

Edited by Joar
typo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Joar said:

I'm pretty sure I saw him play in a televised European Cup qualification  or pre season friendly match once back in the day. Him playing central midfield for a welsh team (Barry Town maybe?) against a big hitter (thought it was Real Madrid, but can't find any info about it, so guess that must be wrong). Don't recall much about it, other than he shot a mindboggling freekick from 35-40 yards that hit the root of the post (or just outside the post). Tremendous power on the shot. 

I knew his name because of earlier games of Football Manager (Championship Manager really). 

Maybe all this was a dream though, as it seems far fetched, and I can't find info that totally matches my recollection. Maybe it was the match they won against Porto in 2001/2002. At least a Luke Staton started that match (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/wales/1467218.stm).

Yes!! Sorry, he played for Barry Town! 

21 hours ago, Swanson said:

Is he really quicker than Rothwell?

Probably, since Mowbray claims nobody can beat Magloire in a foot race. I think the most stunning thing with Rothwell is how fast he is with the ball. He would outrun Smallwood controlling 2 balls.

Magloire is promising but like a lot of young players needs to learn how to handle themselves physically in this league. He was dominated in the air in his two appearances. Biggest difference from U23 football is the physical, positioning and strength in senior football. Playes like Joe Garner, Billy Sharp, Steven Fletcher and our own Graham will bully a young centre back even if they are not the tallest.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, briansol said:

Magloire is promising but like a lot of young players needs to learn how to handle themselves physically in this league. He was dominated in the air in his two appearances. Biggest difference from U23 football is the physical, positioning and strength in senior football. Playes like Joe Garner, Billy Sharp, Steven Fletcher and our own Graham will bully a young centre back even if they are not the tallest.

It was only a brief quote, but I liked reading Graham a couple months back saying how he makes a point of roughing up the young CBs a bit in training to give them an idea of what they'll be up against in League play. The Championship is one hell of a trial by fire!

We've got a decent CB pipeline at the moment in Magloire, Wharton, Platt, and Grayson. Have to think/hope one of them will come through. Although I suppose questions can be asked of all of them... perhaps Platt can be written off as playing National League North at 21 isn't too promising (I admittedly haven't seen him play though!). Next year may be make or break for Wharton. Seems to be getting mixed reviews at Bury. Had some bad luck with Lincoln bringing in Shackell after his loan was completed. Perhaps you'd hope he'd be on loan in League One or pushing for a place here, but I suppose he should be given some credit for battling for a spot with top League Two sides.

Edited by RoverCanada

3 hours ago, RoverCanada said:

Next year may be make or break for Wharton. Seems to be getting mixed reviews at Bury. Had some bad luck with Lincoln bringing in Shackell after his loan was completed. Perhaps you'd hope he'd be on loan in League One or pushing for a place here, but I suppose he should be given some credit for battling for a spot with top League Two sides.

I'd hoped he'd be on loan in League One this season, but somehow he ended up down in League Two again, twice! Someone on here was saying they'd heard he'd rather be sold than go on loan again. It's a shame, as I can't see him jumping straight from League Two to the Championship for a team who want promotion, especially since he couldn't get into one of those League Two teams and we need to strengthen in central defence anyway. The logical thing for the club is to get him tested properly at League One first so we can see how close he is to making the grade, but he doesn't seem to want that. Could be his days at the club are numbered...hopefully not another O'Connell scenario that we come to rue.

Just watched a wonderful first half against Liverpool. Up 2-0 after goals from Rankin-Costello and Butterworth. Hard to single out anybody as a great effort from everybody so far. Been dominant and could be more up, fun to hear Liverpool commentators trying and failing to find hightlight from the home team.

• Like 4