BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

Young lads did really well in that second half. Definitely good value for a draw.

Some swift and pretty fearless counterattacking football.

Could have finished 2-2 in the dying minutes. Leicester one on one and Fisher equal to it. Mols with some tricky play and straight at the keeper.

Chapman looked good too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Fair play to him for applying but who was the competition he was up against? On the face of it this is more evidence of Mowbray sticking with what/who he knows and rewarding loyalty.

Lowest cost, narrowest search, and least imagination.

I can't lie I was hoping Matty Jansen might be on his way back. However can't really argue with these appointments. They've done well enough already so let them continue, they've earnt their promotions. 

Just now, JayDee said:

I can't lie I was hoping Matty Jansen might be on his way back. However can't really argue with these appointments. They've done well enough already so let them continue, they've earnt their promotions. 

So why not just promote them when they moved Johnson?

Just now, Feed the Yak said:

Saw the 2nd half. We played well, looked good. Both fullbacks were impressive. Cracker of a goal by Grayson, hope he can find a way to utilise that left foot at senior level. Great closing down, centre mids (Whyte and?) looked dynamic and composed. Goalie (Fisher?) made a great reflex save at the end. 

Lyons is the other CM. I only caught the last 35. JRC looked very tidy in particular. Mols and Vale look handfuls. Yeh the goalie is Fisher. Good stop at the end like you say, but he came out for two crosses he had no chance of claiming and was lucky neither ended badly for him.

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

So why not just promote them when they moved Johnson?

Can't answer that. The powers that be aren't known for acting quickly let's be honest. They drag everything out. Do we know who the other candidates were? Maybe they wanted to see who else would apply but then decided the best options already worked here

On the one hand a new name, with new / fresh ideas, might have been beneficial, but on the other hand if something's not broken don't try and fix it. Johnson deserved a promotion, and continuity and stability are not to be sniffed at.

I'm also pleased that TM was involved in the decision; it shows a clear pathway to the first team and encourages ambition. Although I'd still like to know who else applied, clearly both Barr & Sheron have worked well within the Academy; they know the players and seem to have their respect. Tonight's performance (cheers for the link guys) suggests they can at least hold their own at this level once more this season despite the promotion of Johnson & Buckley to the regular first team set up & the departure of Nuttall.

Good luck all, good start tonight, onwards & upwards.

• Like 1

Barr appointment seems a sensible and logic one to me. He has worked with the majority of current under 23 squad as they came through the under 18's when he was in charge there. So he also deserve some of the credit for their development as does Johnson. 

I know that Rich Sharpe tweeted that Rovers interviewed 6 people for head coach job. 

it appears that Mowbray, Crass and Jones were all involved in the decision to appoint Billy Barr as under 23's manager

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Feckin hell - two months to decide that!

Good and well managed organisations have something known as 'succession planning' - it isn't rocket science.

Seems like we've gone for the cheapest options with little or no creative thinking shown.

An input of new blood and 'fresh eyes' works wonders in most organisations.

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Good and well managed organisations have something known as 'succession planning' - it isn't rocket science.

Seems like we've gone for the cheapest options with little or no creative thinking shown.

maybe sometimes it does but I have found bring in someone from the outside can upset team morale and lead to problems within the team. 

I think Barr is a sensible and logic appointment considering the vast majority of current 23's players have all worked under him at under 18's level

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

If they appointed him straight away you would be complaining that they didn't give enough time to exploring other options

You would then probably say something like"If Barr isn't good enough to be promoted, then why is he still here!"

Your last line is difficult to quantify, but I know for certain, that it isn't always the case.  

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

maybe sometimes it does but I have found bring in someone from the outside can upset team morale and lead to problems within the team. 

I think Barr is a sensible and logic appointment considering the vast majority of current 23's players have all worked under him at under 18's level

Has there ever been an u23 side at any Category A academy where most of players didn’t play for the u18s at one point? I wouldn’t have thought so. It’s not exactly a brilliant reason for a boring, unambitious, appointment, such as this one.

21 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

How did Chapman play ?

He looked more mature than the rest. He played left wing, did a lot of dribbling and frightened Leicester's defence often. He took the free kick from the left which Grayson scored from; a well-worked training ground move.

A good work out for him.

• Like 2

On 20/08/2019 at 14:23, Mercer said:

Succession planing is about promoting from within. Or more specifically, hiring people for the future, developing them and promoting them when the time comes that a higher up moves on.

Your point makes no sense.

No idea if it's a good appointment or not and I'd guess everyone else on here is in the same position if they're honest about it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, XLM said:

Succession planing is about promoting from within. Or more specifically, hiring people for the future, developing them and promoting them when the time comes that a higher up moves on.

Your point makes no sense.

No idea if it's a good appointment or not and I'd guess everyone else on here is in the same position if they're honest about it.

Know full well what succession planning is!

Surely, the club knew two months ago whether Barr and Sheron were ready to step up.  If they were confident the pair were ready to step up then it should have been done and dusted in days.

I have never been involved in any organisation (excluding public sector organisations such as schools where vacancies have to also be advertised externally) where personnel has been earmarked as ready/capable for/of promotion only for the job to be advertised outside and then given to the internals some significant time down the line!

IMO, it's just farcical.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We're talking a guy with tons of Premier League experience who was a full international with many caps as against Billy Who ?

So? Was the ‘Class of ‘92’’s manager Eric Harrison a top player himself?

Indeed was Johnson’s own crop with Dunn, Duff and Taylor managed by ex international stars?

These are development squads, as long as they are coached by quality people and a conveyor belt continues to the first team who gives a feck about how many caps the coaches mustered when they were players themselves.

• Like 2

As an ex HR Manager it seems to me perfectly sensible and good practice to both look to develop your own talent through succession planning and to test the quality of that talent against the external marketplace from time to time. That will obviously take a bit longer than just appointing internally but do you want to do a job well or just quickly?

Like most others on here I have no idea about the relative merits of the individuals concerned but recent recruitment seems to have gone well so I’m prepared to trust the interviewers to make a good appointment.

• Like 6

Just now, only2garners said:

As an ex HR Manager it seems to me perfectly sensible and good practice to both look to develop your own talent through succession planning and to test the quality of that talent against the external marketplace from time to time. That will obviously take a bit longer than just appointing internally but do you want to do a job well or just quickly?

Like most others on here I have no idea about the relative merits of the individuals concerned but recent recruitment seems to have gone well so I’m prepared to trust the interviewers to make a good appointment.

Exactly so. Also, there may have been more than one viable internal candidate. Successful promotions not only should test internal vs external standards but also be perceived as having been fair to all stakeholders.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, only2garners said:

As a current one, I would agree! 

• Like 1