BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

for me, both Tomlinson and Mahoney should be around the first team/subs.

Need a manager who will play the academy players

For me, we should be looking to have them out on loan playing games. If they can prove it away from Ewood, then give them a chance. In fact Mahoney should have stayed at Stanley, on season long loans, he'd learn far more than against Burnley u21's.

We should be playing OSullivan more to see if he's good enough, or if we should let go. He's at the age that he should be good enough to stake a claim for a starting place now.

Mahoney needs to have a crack - can hardly do any worse than Taylor has on the flank the past couple of games. He seems to have two good feet, a trick or two, and most importantly, a goal or two in him.

However, I doubt that our former academy manager will blood any of our youngsters.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

for me, both Tomlinson and Mahoney should be around the first team/subs.

Need a manager who will play the academy players

I might be wrong but I seem to recall a debate I had with you where you said you wouldn't have any of the younger players in the first team squad. I think Nyambe was at the heart of the discussion. What has changed your mind?

Apologies if it wasn't you as my memory isn't what it used to be.

Mahoney needs to have a crack - can hardly do any worse than Taylor has on the flank the past couple of games. He seems to have two good feet, a trick or two, and most importantly, a goal or two in him.

However, I doubt that our former academy manager will blood any of our youngsters.

Bowyer answered your question only recently.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/13900054.Gary_Bowyer_not_prepared_to_rush_Blackburn_Rovers_youngsters_into_first_team_squad/

Bit strange both Tomlinson and Mahoney were given squad numbers at the beginning season and yet even with the squad down to the bare bones Bowyer has choosen to name a bench full of defenders/defensive midfielders rather than include one of these two. That seems to me to indicate that they are unlikely to feature this season, if so maybe they would be best loaned out to gain some team experience. Always nice to beat the Dingles, especially liked the Mahoney goal, lovely strike!

Do you know what. After the draw last Saturday I will probably have to drag myself down to Ewood for most home games coming up.

If we actually gave some of these lads a go, at least it would provide some interest to proceedings.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

Excellent goal from Tomlinson takes on his midfielder and hits a thirty yarder into the net that's what I like to see

Wonder what JLowe would have done in similar circumstances and more to the point do you think Gary or 'Gaz' could coach shooting from distance out of young Tomlinson.

I might be wrong but I seem to recall a debate I had with you where you said you wouldn't have any of the younger players in the first team squad. I think Nyambe was at the heart of the discussion. What has changed your mind?

Apologies if it wasn't you as my memory isn't what it used to be.

I have been pushing Tomlinson all season. He was excellent in pre season for the first team.

Mahoney is getting better aswell.

But I dont think Nyambe is ready for the 1st team yet.

But at the end of the day we need a manager who will bring these players through

Don't know why Bowyer can't include the U-21's more in the match squad. One or two them should easily have replaced Williamson and Delfouneso on the bench on saturday.

Maybe we need some Serie A rules where you can name 12 players on the bench to get them involved.

I don't know why we don't have a couple of them on the bench. He seems to have settled (almost) on a first 11 so why not supplement that with a few from the U21's.

Him not playing them does fly in the face of people accusing him of just try to make a quick buck on players. If that was his remit then why not throw a few in. If Mahoney came in scored a couple then his value would rocket.

Great result. Can't see anyone mention that which is indicative of how this message board has been used recently.

If the results this season in the youth sides are anything to go by, within a few seasons we may be seeing some genuinely good graduates. Looking at Southampton in particular, this has basically helped propel them forward.

That is good for the club. Just basically writing it off as pointless because you don't like the manager- boring, repetitive dross not worth even posting.

• Moderation Lead

Great result. Can't see anyone mention that which is indicative of how this message board has been used recently.

If the results this season in the youth sides are anything to go by, within a few seasons we may be seeing some genuinely good graduates. Looking at Southampton in particular, this has basically helped propel them forward.

That is good for the club. Just basically writing it off as pointless because you don't like the manager- boring, repetitive dross not worth even posting.

Let's see if Bowyer picks them or not before lauding this as a potential success. As an aside, I wouldn't be too averse to him not picking them, as if he did pick them, then they started playing well, he'd be pimping them out in the LT as per.

Jack O'Connell who was in our youth team was on the bench for Brentford on Saturday. Not good enough for Rovers, but good enough for a team that finished above us last season, and is above us this season.....

Edited by K-Hod

I know a relative of one of our current u21 squad members. I've heard how there is a bit of frustration from those pushing for the first team as they're being told different things. One minute Bowyer is telling them they'll be given a shot in the first team then just the other week he came out and said how he wouldn't. Despite his youth coach background, I hear he's not universally liked.

Let's see if Bowyer picks them or not before lauding this as a potential success. As an aside, I wouldn't be too averse to him not picking them, as if he did pick them, then they started playing well, he'd be pimping them out in the LT as per.

Jack O'Connell who was in our youth team was on the bench for Brentford on Saturday. Not good enough for Rovers, but good enough for a team that finished above us last season, and is above us this season.....

Why does it come back to Bowyer again? I'm bored of this - point is we have potentially good youth players. We have one particularly good keeper who the manager was absolutely blasted for playing 5 times this season but let's not bother getting into that. There is little acknowledgement of the improvement in the youth under Johnson, and I will repeat - this indicative of the current nature of this message board!

O'Connell- whilst not knowing how good he is, based on a Rochdale fan I know he should've stayed. That said, if his contract was up or the offer was good, it's hard to disagree with the decision made without knowing the full details.

I know a relative of one of our current u21 squad members. I've heard how there is a bit of frustration from those pushing for the first team as they're being told different things. One minute Bowyer is telling them they'll be given a shot in the first team then just the other week he came out and said how he wouldn't. Despite his youth coach background, I hear he's not universally liked.

Sigh. Now it's "rumours" I'm honestly aghast at the level you can stoop to to bring every thread to the same conclusion.

Very close to doing a PB! I'm sure that'd please some but maybe it'd help me more.

Why does it come back to Bowyer again? I'm bored of this - point is we have potentially good youth players. We have one particularly good keeper who the manager was absolutely blasted for playing 5 times this season but let's not bother getting into that. There is little acknowledgement of the improvement in the youth under Johnson, and I will repeat - this indicative of the current nature of this message board!

O'Connell- whilst not knowing how good he is, based on a Rochdale fan I know he should've stayed. That said, if his contract was up or the offer was good, it's hard to disagree with the decision made without knowing the full details.

It's about time we produced some good homegrown talent as it's been distinctly lacking for a while. Although, I do think that was more due to the nature of the Prem, where young English prospects rarely make it.

It is good to see that the u21s are performing so well. Always nice to see a former player doing well at the club in some capacity. I'd say he's been far more successful than Short has in his influence.

I guess it does come back to Bowyer as it's useless developing the players if they won't get a game. O'Connor, O'Connell and R.Hanley are notable (supposed) talents who have left quite recently. Hope to see the likes of Lenihan, Mahoney and those on the brink of the first team get a shot soon. Rather see them succeed at Rovers than elsewhere.

I guess it is a ray of light from the dark clouds encircling Ewood.

• Moderation Lead

Sigh. Now it's "rumours" I'm honestly aghast at the level you can stoop to to bring every thread to the same conclusion.

Very close to doing a PB! I'm sure that'd please some but maybe it'd help me more.

Course it comes back to Bowyer mate, you're celebrating our youth teams success (understandably), then the next phase of how successful that really is, would be if they graduate to the first team and remain there wouldn't it? Surely, that's the ultimate aim, like you said?

Course it comes back to Bowyer mate, you're celebrating our youth teams success (understandably), then the next phase of how successful that really is, would be if they graduate to the first team and remain there wouldn't it? Surely, that's the ultimate aim, like you said?

Not really the point- I was saying it's good to see and compared Southampton. Regardless of who comes in or after, at least seems we are at least showing semblance of creating possible first team players.

To be fair on the rumours, there where a couple of relatves on hear backing up those rumours.