Jump to content

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Burns (and others) was told during the week that he was getting released. 

If you didn't know you can tell by his body language after his goals and also the final whistle. This cup run is hopefully going to save and make his career.

Very surprise by this. I see Burns has having the ability to kick on. Can you post who the others are? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rovers in full control won 2-1. Liverpool manager says it was the worst performance of the season so we must have done something well Gave away a sloppy goal 10 min before the end. Keeper came flappin

Chaddy, it is impossible to defend the kick-off time for the Burnley game.  It's another kick in the teeth for supporters.  I can attend but friends who work can't attend.  If I had been working I wou

Excellent performance by the Under-21's last night at St. George's Park - and what an outstanding venue that is.   We really ought to have won by more than one and controlled the game for long pe

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Snarley02 said:

Sam Burns has subsequently been offered a pro..along with all second years except for Chanka Zimba.

Thanks. Must be a very difficult conversation for those at the club who have to tell a young man of 18 that unfortunately he's not going to make it. Even harder for him if he's the only one of his year who isn't going to go on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Snarley02 said:

Sam Burns has subsequently been offered a pro..along with all second years except for Chanka Zimba.

thanks for sharing. 

So just to clear, Sam Burns has been offered a pro contract here at Blackburn Rovers?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Thanks. Must be a very difficult conversation for those at the club who have to tell a young man of 18 that unfortunately he's not going to make it. Even harder for him if he's the only one of his year who isn't going to go on.

Tbh..in football you never know what's around the corner. Ben Winterbottom got released last year and then signed for LFC. Game of opinions but Sam Burns showed real maturity to put in a performance like that after hearing the news last week. The word is Mowbray personally got involved to get an offer tabled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Snarley02 said:

Tbh..in football you never know what's around the corner. Ben Winterbottom got released last year and then signed for LFC. Game of opinions but Sam Burns showed real maturity to put in a performance like that after hearing the news last week. The word is Mowbray personally got involved to get an offer tabled.

If true, good work by Mowbray.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Snarley02 said:

Tbh..in football you never know what's around the corner. Ben Winterbottom got released last year and then signed for LFC. Game of opinions but Sam Burns showed real maturity to put in a performance like that after hearing the news last week. The word is Mowbray personally got involved to get an offer tabled.

So, Mowbray doesn't look over the scholars and keep across the ins and outs......is he not sitting down with his junior managers and discussing each one in detail.  

Or, has he given a pro contract on the strength of one U18s game?

Just shows his apathy towards young players, Nyambe and Travis perfect examples of him stunting their growth 

Edited by Sparks Rover
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Snarley02 said:

The word is Mowbray personally got involved to get an offer tabled.

I like that. Seeing him there at the dressing room post match was mightily impressive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

So, Mowbray doesn't look over the scholars and keep across the ins and outs......is he not sitting down with his junior managers and discussing each one in detail.  

Or, has he given a pro contract on the strength of one U18s game?

Just shows his apathy towards young players, Nyambe and Travis perfect examples of him stunting their growth 

I would imagine First team staff get more involved with pros at 23's upwards. The club employs managers at different levels to make these decisions. It could be budgets, positions, etc that determines who gets what. Plus, the loan system for young pro's. To suggest a first team manager gets involved with every scholar decision would seem to stretch it a bit in my opinion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Snarley02 said:

I would imagine First team staff get more involved with pros at 23's upwards. The club employs managers at different levels to make these decisions. It could be budgets, positions, etc that determines who gets what. Plus, the loan system for young pro's. To suggest a first team manager gets involved with every scholar decision would seem to stretch it a bit in my opinion. 

Ok, Mowbray has undermined his junior managers then who have seen him for 2 years, on the strength of a game.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

So, Mowbray doesn't look over the scholars and keep across the ins and outs......is he not sitting down with his junior managers and discussing each one in detail.  

Or, has he given a pro contract on the strength of one U18s game?

Just shows his apathy towards young players, Nyambe and Travis perfect examples of him stunting their growth 

"Him stunting their growth"

Mmm,well that's one take on it, I don't think it is the right one though. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Thanks. Must be a very difficult conversation for those at the club who have to tell a young man of 18 that unfortunately he's not going to make it. Even harder for him if he's the only one of his year who isn't going to go on.

I suppose it's part and parcel, so I would hope they are realistic. Still not easy though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ok, Mowbray has undermined his junior managers then who have seen him for 2 years, on the strength of a game.....

Quite possibly, but that game was against several youth internationals and he played really well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Snarley02 said:

Quite possibly, but that game was against several youth internationals and he played really well. 

Strange isnt it.  His direct managers had him for 2 years and didn't see his potential.....or are they right and he just had a worldie?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ok, Mowbray has undermined his junior managers then who have seen him for 2 years, on the strength of a game.....

That's how hierarchical management works. It's not undermining. It's leadership and making a decision. He could hardly just accept every decision a manager below him makes with regards what players are kept on. 

If he kept some on and it didn't work,I am sure some would be asking why he offered the contract. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's how hierarchical management works. It's not undermining. It's leadership and making a decision. He could hardly just accept every decision a manager below him makes with regards what players are kept on. 

If he kept some on and it didn't work,I am sure some would be asking why he offered the contract. 

He must miss a few then 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/03/2020 at 02:09, bluebruce said:

Christ, you've got some memory, remembering the names of up to seven youth team players from 1958 who never made it!! Fair play!

Griffiths

Wells, Pickering

England, Newton Leech

Ratcliffe, Bradshaw, Jervis, Daly, Mulvey

Barry Ratcliffe played a good few first team games for Rovers but when Ferguson and Harrison came along that was that.

Vinnie Leech had a good career at Bury and Rochdale. I played against his younger brother John, he was top amateur midfielder.

David Wells was doing really well at Rochdale when he broke his leg.That finished him.

Alan Bradshaw was a stalwart of the Rovers Central League team for years with the odd first team appearance.

Jervis, Daly and Mulvey had a few games for various teams in the old Fourth Division. A old pal of mine played with Daly for Manchester School boys. He was doing some scouting for City years later and came across Paddy Daly still playing amateur football when he was about 45 and he was still running the game.

Barry Griffiths just drifted out of football.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

U23s Burnley game at Curzon Ashton??? Tameside.2.00pm on a Thursday.  What the bloody ell is going on?

Burnley usually play reserve matches at Curzon Ashton. The odd part is that they've already tried having it at Morecambe and Oldham.

Things get even more complicated when you consider that tonight we are playing Wolves in the knock out stages of the competition, before completing the group stage 3 days later.

So if we lose tonight we are out of the competition, but then have to prepare for our final group game v the dingles.

Mental.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Griffiths

Wells, Pickering

England, Newton Leech

Ratcliffe, Bradshaw, Jervis, Daly, Mulvey

Barry Ratcliffe played a good few first team games for Rovers but when Ferguson and Harrison came along that was that.

Vinnie Leech had a good career at Bury and Rochdale. I played against his younger brother John, he was top amateur midfielder.

David Wells was doing really well at Rochdale when he broke his leg.That finished him.

Alan Bradshaw was a stalwart of the Rovers Central League team for years with the odd first team appearance.

Jervis, Daly and Mulvey had a few games for various teams in the old Fourth Division. A old pal of mine played with Daly for Manchester School boys. He was doing some scouting for City years later and came across Paddy Daly still playing amateur football when he was about 45 and he was still running the game.

Barry Griffiths just drifted out of football.

 

Great things were expected of Daly as i recall. Little bloke wasn't he? Think i remember being called the new Douglas!

Funny how some things don't work out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 47er said:

Great things were expected of Daly as i recall. Little bloke wasn't he? Think i remember being called the new Douglas!

Funny how some things don't work out.

Yeah, he wasn't very big. We've had a few " New Bryan Douglas's ". My pal really rated Daly highly when they were lads, he was one of the few who could give Nobby Stiles the run around in schools football. My pal also played against Stiles and he reckoned getting tackled off Nobby was like getting an electric shock up your leg !

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.