BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

5 hours ago, philipl said:

Just a thought.

If we found ourselves with Arma, Gally and Brereton all unavailable at the same time (not a situation I am advocating!), that 18 year old kid we got from Celtic, Connor McBride, looks a unit, full of confidence, quick, knows how to work an opening and smack it into the net.  His link up work, timing of runs to avoid offside and assist for Brennan's goal were all top class as well. 

Thing is, Nuttall and Brereton smashed in loads of goals at that level too...McBride scored 1 goal in 14 matches for Stenhousemuir last season, in the Scottish League Two (fourth tier in the pretty poor Scottish leagues). Not that I'm writing him off because of that, and when I've looked up his minutes, he pretty much only played 6.84 full games worth. I'd just expect him to be able to break into, and regularly score, at such a piss poor level, if he really has a future at a decent level in the game. He's 19 btw, not 18. But players can learn and develop quickly. If people who have seen him are saying positive things about him, and he is smashing them in at the level he's playing for now, I'll certainly reserve judgement. I just really hope we don't suddenly have to rely on him, as things stand.

34 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Thing is, Nuttall and Brereton smashed in loads of goals at that level too...McBride scored 1 goal in 14 matches for Stenhousemuir last season, in the Scottish League Two (fourth tier in the pretty poor Scottish leagues). Not that I'm writing him off because of that, and when I've looked up his minutes, he pretty much only played 6.84 full games worth. I'd just expect him to be able to break into, and regularly score, at such a piss poor level, if he really has a future at a decent level in the game. He's 19 btw, not 18. But players can learn and develop quickly. If people who have seen him are saying positive things about him, and he is smashing them in at the level he's playing for now, I'll certainly reserve judgement. I just really hope we don't suddenly have to rely on him, as things stand.

I watched him against City in the first game where he played behind the striker and the game just passed him by untill he got a well-taken goal. After that you could see his confidence improved. Was well impressed last night when he came on. Has a decent turn of pace, excellent finishing for his goals and played a couple of excellent passes to Brennan including the assist. 

I don't think he is nowhere ready for the first time yet, but he has potential certainly. Credit to the U23 recruitment who seem to recognize talent, bringing in him and Dolan shows they know potential. Butterworth (when fit) and Vale would probably better options for the senior squad. Both are quite dynamic and should suit our style. I also like Sam Burns as a forward, still 18. He is small, but built like Dack with pace and plays a bit like Dickov with pressuring defenders, tackling etc.

• Like 2

Interesting replies.

What I liked about him against a tiring Leicester defence was

- intelligent runs staying onside and creating space for the passes from Chapman

- total cool when getting his goal scoring chances

- he had a hattrick chance well saved yet when he got another one he weighed up the situation and played in Brennan for an unmissable 4th goal.

• Like 1

Half time: 1-1

Jalil Saadi and Joe Grayson have been dreadful in my opinion. Both have looked completely out of depth and several steps below what's needed in this game. The lack of Dan Pike in this game is astounding, why he's on the bench i don't know, we're missing him. Whilst Grayson's passing range is bang on, his defensive and mobility abilities are poor.

I'd bring Mols on centrally for Saadi, get Pike down the right instead of Hayden Carter out of position. Brennan and McBride look electric when they have the ball, but neither of them are receiving as much service as we'd like. 

Big Sam Barnes fan, think he's got a big future for us, roams forward on the ball, solid defensively, reminds me of a young Phil Jones.

Edited by JoeH

Final score 2-2.

Completely unfair reflection on the game as Rovers young guns dominated that second half. Sam Barnes and Luke Brennan are stars in the making. Lewis Thompson has been the 23's player of the season so far for me, with Connor McBride again looking promising in the minutes he got before coming off. I was unimpressed by Joe Grayson and Jalil Saadi.

My man of the match has to go to Sam Barnes. Impressive in both possession and defensive duties, looks a real talent and definitely has a strong future with our club.

Little shout out to the extremely biased MUTV commentators who've decided at full time that United were somehow the better team in this game... That certainly wasn't the case AT ALL. 

Rovers remain unbeaten in the PL2 campaign.

Just now, JoeH said:

Final score 2-2.

Completely unfair reflection on the game as Rovers young guns dominated that second half. Sam Barnes and Luke Brennan are stars in the making. Lewis Thompson has been the 23's player of the season so far for me, with Connor McBride again looking promising in the minutes he got before coming off. I was unimpressed by Joe Grayson and Jalil Saadi.

My man of the match has to go to Sam Barnes. Impressive in both possession and defensive duties, looks a real talent and definitely has a strong future with our club.

Little shout out to the extremely biased MUTV commentators who've decided at full time that United were somehow the better team in this game... That certainly wasn't the case AT ALL. 

Rovers remain unbeaten in the PL2 campaign.

Grayson has been out for a year with a serious injury that has to be taken into consideration when rating his performance today.Barnes looked very good 

• Like 1