BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

Whether Pike's ready or not he may well get his chance soon. I would expect him to be at least on the bench on Wednesday and if Lenihan's ban is not overturned he might have to play if Nyambe is needed at centre back. As long as he doesn't tell anyone his name he should be OK.

Whatever you feel about Buckley (and there seem to be some wildly differing opinions), I can't see any justification for being really hard on him for yesterday. Surely no one believes he's the ideal right back and I'm sure he won't have asked to play there but been told.

• Like 3

To be fair, I am not sure that anyone has been "really hard" on Buckley, indeed there has been a common and consistent understanding that he was played in an alien position that didnt suit him and in which he struggled in. The question was more as to whether he amidst undoubtedly minimal choices was the most natural player to be put at right back.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Who else come you have played there yesterday?.

Once Lenihan went off, my assumption was that Bell was going to come on and slot in, although with Douglas going off soon after it would have needed a further change anyway. Probably someone with more defensive nous and experience, maybe Trybull.

Buckley seemed a particularly weak option and obviously was really poor for the second goal.

I certainly would prefer not to see Buckley at RB again, to be honest I suspect that Mowbray thinks likewise ie that we always have a senior option available.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Once Lenihan went off, my assumption was that Bell was going to come on and slot in, although with Douglas going off soon after it would have needed a further change anyway. Probably someone with more defensive nous and experience, maybe Trybull.

Buckley seemed a particularly weak option and obviously was really poor for the second goal.

I certainly would prefer not to see Buckley at RB again, to be honest I suspect that Mowbray thinks likewise ie that we always have a senior option available.

Bell at right back? 

Wasnt Douglas on a yellow so taking him off was right call. 

Buckley was probably the best option from the options we had available. I can see Dan Pike being on bench if not starting on Wednesday night

But has Trybull ever play there? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Who else come you have played there yesterday?.

Simon Garner on Radio Lancashire thought that Trybull should have gone to RB. But I do believe that Buckley has played in that position before. He is definitely not a RB.

Buckley at right back was dreadful yesterday, he desperately needs a loan in January he is not even close to being ready to play at this level.

So many times they got past him like he wasn't there including for the second goal where his defensive effort was pitiful. Thankfully Frank took pity on him and took off Canos and Henry and focused on attacking down the other flank which allowed us back into the game.

21 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Buckley at right back was dreadful yesterday, he desperately needs a loan in January he is not even close to being ready to play at this level.

So many times they got past him like he wasn't there including for the second goal where his defensive effort was pitiful. Thankfully Frank took pity on him and took off Canos and Henry and focused on attacking down the other flank which allowed us back into the game.

Bit harsh , Buckley isn't a RB and only play's there in training to make up the numbers, plus only option left in game. Seeing how BB ,JR, SJ  and others are now first team level , I hope Buckley & co will soon come of age . patience

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, slowmo said:

Bit harsh , Buckley isn't a RB and only play's there in training to make up the numbers, plus only option left in game. Seeing how BB ,JR, SJ  and others are now first team level , I hope Buckley & co will soon come of age . patience

He'll be playing in the lower leagues if not non league in a few years. There are a lot of players like him down at that level good on the ball but unable to handle the physicality of the game and ends up getting bullied. Yesterday the Brentford lads down the left were going past him like he wasn't there.

1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

He'll be playing in the lower leagues if not non league in a few years. There are a lot of players like him down at that level good on the ball but unable to handle the physicality of the game and ends up getting bullied. Yesterday the Brentford lads down the left were going past him like he wasn't there.

Game of opinions, but I would be absolutely amazed if it turns out like that. Genuinely shocked. 

I can't agree that he's nowhere near ready either. He's only doing it in flashes at the moment, but when he gets it right he can already see passes which nobody else in the side can, perhaps Holtby at an absolute push. Even yesterday he showed some lovely touches with the ball at his feet.

He's a bit lightweight and inconsistent, I'll grant you. Patience with this lad will be rewarded by the bucketload. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I predict you will be wrong about Buckley.Only a few months ago Brereton was destined for a career in the lower leagues according to you.

No point judging buckley on his performance at right back. He gave it a go that's all you can ask he obviously has no future there.

I must say I was surprised when he came on and even with knowing it all worked out okayish in the end I'd have gone for Trybull. He is smooth in possession and is a much better defender than buckley as a midfielder so I'd have just moved him back there. 

Tbf to Mowbray he came out and explained his rationale. That in training 10 v10 games buckley slots in at right back a lot as he we have so many midfielders. So the logic is he knows the angles better, fair enough? Think downing might have worked better though, intelligent player and their left winger was coming inside onto downings stronger foot

I would rather give Pike a go on Wednesday over carter should it come to it. I'd rather carry a right back who isnt upto standard yet than a centre half.

29 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I predict you will be wrong about Buckley.Only a few months ago Brereton was destined for a career in the lower leagues according to you.

I still think that is where he will end up. He's had a few decent performances this season but nothing outstanding and like with the team as a hole his best performances have come against 10 men.

34 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Game of opinions, but I would be absolutely amazed if it turns out like that. Genuinely shocked. 

I can't agree that he's nowhere near ready either. He's only doing it in flashes at the moment, but when he gets it right he can already see passes which nobody else in the side can, perhaps Holtby at an absolute push. Even yesterday he showed some lovely touches with the ball at his feet.

He's a bit lightweight and inconsistent, I'll grant you. Patience with this lad will be rewarded by the bucketload. 

Technically there is no doubting him but physically he is just not cut out for this level of football. If he was 17-18 then I would say fair enough he's only young and growing but he's already 21 and he had the same problem ever since he got into the first team which is that he is too lightweight.

Two under 23 games this week (Spurs home, Liverpool away) then nothing until January. 

So looks like neither Dack nor Travis will get a lower level run out unless they suffer training set backs.

Buckley's problem is he looks like an awkward 12 year old. If you get past his physical appearance , it is possible to see why fellow professionals at Rovers rate him.

Davenport on the other hand now looks the real deal.

Buckley got better at RB towards the latter stages of the game. Put in several cracking tackles and played a part in our equaliser.

However, he was absolutely awful until then and we were fortunate that Brentford didn’t focus more attacks down their left side because Buckley was really struggling to cope.

I do rate Buckley and think he’s had a few decent performances in midfield for us this season and last season. He just needs to keep developing his physicality. 

The criticism of Buckley on the second goal seems harsh and rather unfair.

He was isolated against a ball running winger. He correctly seeks to hold up the attacker so that others can come and support him.

As he does so, he can see another Brentford player going down the line, effectively creating a 2 v 1 situation for a moment.

Buckley's jockeying does enable other players to get back. However, the Rovers player (can't tell who it is) who comes to directly 'support' Buckley neither confronts the winger nor tracks the full back. This leaves Buckley not knowing who to track and what his team mate is doing.

Arguably, he made the mistake to go with the full back. However, also culpable is the backtracking Rovers player who does nothing, except to create further confusion. Then there was another Rovers player inside who allowed the Brentford to get his excellent shot away.

Buckley might've made mistakes elsewhere but in this case, I would lay more blame on the inadequate backtracking player, than the makeshift right back.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, riverholmes said:

The criticism of Buckley on the second goal seems harsh and rather unfair.

He was isolated against a ball running winger. He correctly seeks to hold up the attacker so that others can come and support him.

As he does so, he can see another Brentford player going down the line, effectively creating a 2 v 1 situation for a moment.

Buckley's jockeying does enable other players to get back. However, the Rovers player (can't tell who it is) who comes to directly 'support' Buckley neither confronts the winger nor tracks the full back. This leaves Buckley not knowing who to track and what his team mate is doing.

Arguably, he made the mistake to go with the full back. However, also culpable is the backtracking Rovers player who does nothing, except to create further confusion. Then there was another Rovers player inside who allowed the Brentford to get his excellent shot away.

Buckley might've made mistakes elsewhere but in this case, I would lay more blame on the inadequate backtracking player, than the makeshift right back.

Armstrong makes a bonkers belated run back which distracts Buckley and leaves both Brentford players free for the second goal. The scorer then goes on to ride a half-arsed challenge by Rothwell but by then is inside the area so Rothwell presumably didn't fancy a red card.

19 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, I am not sure that anyone has been "really hard" on Buckley, indeed there has been a common and consistent understanding that he was played in an alien position that didnt suit him and in which he struggled in. The question was more as to whether he amidst undoubtedly minimal choices was the most natural player to be put at right back.

There is one particular poster who treats John Buckley like his arch nemesis of course...