Two under 23 games this week (Spurs home, Liverpool away) then nothing until January. 

So looks like neither Dack nor Travis will get a lower level run out unless they suffer training set backs.

Buckley's problem is he looks like an awkward 12 year old. If you get past his physical appearance , it is possible to see why fellow professionals at Rovers rate him.

Davenport on the other hand now looks the real deal.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rovers in full control won 2-1. Liverpool manager says it was the worst performance of the season so we must have done something well Gave away a sloppy goal 10 min before the end. Keeper came flappin

Chaddy, it is impossible to defend the kick-off time for the Burnley game.  It's another kick in the teeth for supporters.  I can attend but friends who work can't attend.  If I had been working I wou

Excellent performance by the Under-21's last night at St. George's Park - and what an outstanding venue that is.   We really ought to have won by more than one and controlled the game for long pe

Posted Images

Buckley got better at RB towards the latter stages of the game. Put in several cracking tackles and played a part in our equaliser.

However, he was absolutely awful until then and we were fortunate that Brentford didn’t focus more attacks down their left side because Buckley was really struggling to cope.

I do rate Buckley and think he’s had a few decent performances in midfield for us this season and last season. He just needs to keep developing his physicality. 

The criticism of Buckley on the second goal seems harsh and rather unfair.

He was isolated against a ball running winger. He correctly seeks to hold up the attacker so that others can come and support him.

As he does so, he can see another Brentford player going down the line, effectively creating a 2 v 1 situation for a moment.

Buckley's jockeying does enable other players to get back. However, the Rovers player (can't tell who it is) who comes to directly 'support' Buckley neither confronts the winger nor tracks the full back. This leaves Buckley not knowing who to track and what his team mate is doing.

Arguably, he made the mistake to go with the full back. However, also culpable is the backtracking Rovers player who does nothing, except to create further confusion. Then there was another Rovers player inside who allowed the Brentford to get his excellent shot away.

Buckley might've made mistakes elsewhere but in this case, I would lay more blame on the inadequate backtracking player, than the makeshift right back.

6 hours ago, riverholmes said:

The criticism of Buckley on the second goal seems harsh and rather unfair.

He was isolated against a ball running winger. He correctly seeks to hold up the attacker so that others can come and support him.

As he does so, he can see another Brentford player going down the line, effectively creating a 2 v 1 situation for a moment.

Buckley's jockeying does enable other players to get back. However, the Rovers player (can't tell who it is) who comes to directly 'support' Buckley neither confronts the winger nor tracks the full back. This leaves Buckley not knowing who to track and what his team mate is doing.

Arguably, he made the mistake to go with the full back. However, also culpable is the backtracking Rovers player who does nothing, except to create further confusion. Then there was another Rovers player inside who allowed the Brentford to get his excellent shot away.

Buckley might've made mistakes elsewhere but in this case, I would lay more blame on the inadequate backtracking player, than the makeshift right back.

Armstrong makes a bonkers belated run back which distracts Buckley and leaves both Brentford players free for the second goal. The scorer then goes on to ride a half-arsed challenge by Rothwell but by then is inside the area so Rothwell presumably didn't fancy a red card.

19 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, I am not sure that anyone has been "really hard" on Buckley, indeed there has been a common and consistent understanding that he was played in an alien position that didnt suit him and in which he struggled in. The question was more as to whether he amidst undoubtedly minimal choices was the most natural player to be put at right back.

There is one particular poster who treats John Buckley like his arch nemesis of course...

13 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Butterworth is back on the grass...

Fantastic! Almost like he saw my posts the other day and said 'fuck you Bruce I'm fine'. Hopefully he holds up well, been horrendously unfortunate and it must be so frustrating for him. Probably be a first team regular or semi regular by now without the injuries.

Just now, bluebruce said:

Fantastic! Almost like he saw my posts the other day and said 'fuck you Bruce I'm fine'. Hopefully he holds up well, been horrendously unfortunate and it must be so frustrating for him. Probably be a first team regular or semi regular by now without the injuries.

Hopefully he'll pull up his top over his head to reveal a T-shirt with that on when he scores tonight. 

No streams anywhere but we conceded after just 3 minutes.

Stirgiakos getting a challenging introduction to English football- he has let in 7 in little over an hour of competitive football!

Edited by philipl

I went to the Spurs website earlier to see if they were doing any reporting. I was amazed to find that they have one page with pictures of the U23 players with biographies behind them, the table page has last year's table on it and the stats page is blank. No articles whatsoever about their team. Clearly not Mourinho's priority.

8 minutes ago, philipl said:

0-2 Pochettino scored; any relation to the former Spuds chef?

Goal #Rovers 0-2 Spurs If a goal summed up an opening half hour... Stergiakis’ attempted pass out goes straight to Pochettino on the edge of the box and he fires into the empty net.

The Spurs website does have a profile of him. It doesn't mention who his Dad is but does say he was born in Barcelona and has lived in Paris and Southampton, so presumably yes!

52 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Hopefully he'll pull up his top over his head to reveal a T-shirt with that on when he scores tonight. 

If he does, I'll forever consider him a legend. Even if next week he has to buy a stair lift.

Well this is better. Apparently a brilliant run by Chapman which set up a Lyons header 1-2.

Butterworth came through his 45 minutes well 

And..

093TGn4U_bigger.jpg

Excellent Stergiakis saves, tipping over a Harvey White shot and then keeping out Tobi Omole’s header from the resulting corner. In other Stergiakis news, he’s a dead ringer for Patrice from The Inbetweeners.