BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

Looks a really big test for the U23s. Arsenal are near the bottom of the table and on an indifferent run but they won 6-0 in the reverse fixture. Emile Smith Rowe scored back then and, though he won't play, first team fringe strikers, Nketiah and Balogun start for Arsenal, alongside Moller. Reiss Nelson also in the team.

Antonis Stergiakis not involved, for some reason.

Rovers team: Eastham, Pike, Saadi, Garrett, Cirino, Durrant, Annesley (c), Whitehall, Nolan, Burns, McBride
Dowling, Gent, Baker, Connolly, Harlock

Arsenal: Okonkwo; Alebiousu, Dinzeyi, Monlouis, Lopez; Azeez,Taylor-Hart, Nelson, Nketiah, Balogun (c), Moller,
Bola, Lewis, Smith, Cirjan, Akinowla

Edit:

3-0 to Rovers at h-t. 

Arsenal playing from the back unsuccessfully and Rovers closing down and working very hard, forcing numerous errors.

Edited by riverholmes

Rovers U23s look like a real team. Very good attitude, organised and pressing the opponents constantly, with McBride and Burns leading by example up front. In fact, most of Rovers chances came from Arsenal losing the ball in their own third, after trying to play out from the back. The Rovers first team could learn a lot from watching them, I think, in terms of intelligent positional play and closing down as a team.

Arsenal, by contrast, were incoherent and resembled, in a way, Rovers first team at times, in terms of not tracking back or maintaining positional discipline. They evidently have some really gifted individuals -  but not a team. A clear contrast was at corners; time and again, Rovers had the short corner on. Rovers defenders, on the other hand, were always looking to pick up the short corner from Arsenal.

I don't think there's standout talent in the Rovers team, as Arsenal have in Reiss Nelson, but all the players look comfortable on the ball and tough and hardworking. Garrett and Whitehall were very solid in the middle. Durrant looked clever on the ball. McBride and Burns worked tirelessly and linked up well. In defence, Annesley played well and, perhaps, the pick of the players was Cirino, at left back. He was fouled for the penalty and he looked very quick, skillful and strong in the tackle. Pike, who's been talked about a lot, did ok but, at times, looked uncomfortable against the pace of Nelson. Eastham deserves credit too. He fairly confident with kicking and handling and shot-stopping was excellent as Arsenal pressed for a late consolation.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Rovers v Brighton U23s is LIVE on Rovers YouTube at 2 pm

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2021/march/watch-rovers-under-23s-v-brighton--hove-albion-under-23s-live/

Confusion being Rovers think 19th March is/was a Wednesday.

I think it is today.

Think ill tune in again. 

Says it all when I get more joy out of watching our kids play than I do the senior team.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Think ill tune in again. 

Says it all when I get more joy out of watching our kids play than I do the senior team.

If Mowbray is still here next season. I will be going to watch the U23s, to get my Rovers fix. 

• Like 1

Stefan Mols back in is interesting having been on trial with the Dingles down the road.

Louie Annesley to fill in at Left-back apparently. Live from 1:55pm.