4 hours ago, riverholmes said:

I've been watching Motherwell's highlights in the last few games and, whilst Magloire has been starting and been part of a team on a decent run, it seems to me (based on the very limited evidence) that he hasn't quite found top form yet. It may be inexperience and hopefully, he grows into the role. Incidentally, their striker, Devante Cole, is the son of Andy Cole. Some of the finishes I've seen by him remind me of his dad.

On the Branthwaite signing - it may have been an opportunist/desperation signing, not knowing who else might become available. However, I don't think it made sense to sign two very young loanee defenders with hardly any first team experience. I would have signed one and sought to either utilise Nyambe, Magloire or Carter as back-up - or signed a more experienced loanee, if one was available.

I dont think we should have signed 2 kids and indeed a more experienced player would have made more sense in January to fix a problem entirely avoidable much earlier, but surely Carter and Magloire benefit more from playing every week elsewhere rather than sticking around as an at that time unknown quantity of a back up?

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rovers in full control won 2-1. Liverpool manager says it was the worst performance of the season so we must have done something well Gave away a sloppy goal 10 min before the end. Keeper came flappin

Chaddy, it is impossible to defend the kick-off time for the Burnley game.  It's another kick in the teeth for supporters.  I can attend but friends who work can't attend.  If I had been working I wou

Excellent performance by the Under-21's last night at St. George's Park - and what an outstanding venue that is.   We really ought to have won by more than one and controlled the game for long pe

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Meesh said:

Really gut-wrenching for Hardcastle.

Important thing is obviously being able to live, but he'll have invested so much time and sacrifice into the game as his career path, and the rug has been pulled from under his feet. Hope he can figure out another path and way of life. Good luck, Lewis.

On a more optimistic note, I'm glad his condition has been found early and treatment has been carried out. It's better than collapsing and dying on a football pitch. As you say, good luck, Lewis.

59 minutes ago, bazza said:

On a more optimistic note, I'm glad his condition has been found early and treatment has been carried out. It's better than collapsing and dying on a football pitch. As you say, good luck, Lewis.

Speaking as someone who actually had a heart attack on a football pitch he is a lucky lad. I imagine he will receive a reasonable insurance pay off to set him up for whatever he decides to do with his life. So he is lucky in that respect too, though on either count I doubt it will feel that way to him at the moment.

Edited by oldjamfan1
On 25/03/2021 at 13:55, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Mowbray said he wasn't playing our young CB's because it was a 'man's position' for seasoned Pro's, or words to that effect. He then signed Branthwaite and HB.

I can never work out if he's dishonest, or just making it up as he goes along. 

No commissions to be gained from playing our academy lads....just saying 

2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

No commissions to be gained from playing our academy lads....just saying 

He will be after some scouting role in the future, ....showing his sussies to whichever top 6 boss might want a look, whilst all the time weakening us. 

5 hours ago, bazza said:

Still young too, so plenty of time to change tack. I still didn't know what I wanted to do at 21, so he is on an even par with me at that age. 

31 minutes ago, inflikted said:

Annesley rested today, Ribas plans to start him vs Netherlands.

Is that Holland by chance?😉

You'll be calling The Rovers, Blackburn next....

Edited by darrenrover
54 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Is that Holland by chance?😉

You'll be calling The Rovers, Blackburn next....

Holland is actually just a region of the Netherlands, which is the official name of the country. Some Dutch also use the term to describe the whole country, but some actually find it offensive.

I don't know if you already knew that.

If that is accurate, 2 assists this season might be revealing as to an area where Pike could improve as a right back.

The very few times I've seen him, his style of play has reminded me of Jay McEveley, the left back who broke through under Souness. He's not the quickest or most technical but a very tough, strong competitor.

I do hope he gets a chance and continues to develop as he's been a mainstay in a successful U23 season.

With Nyambe possibly going, I do hope that a fast defender is sought out or that Pickering is just that.

4 hours ago, riverholmes said:

If that is accurate, 2 assists this season might be revealing as to an area where Pike could improve as a right back.

The very few times I've seen him, his style of play has reminded me of Jay McEveley, the left back who broke through under Souness. He's not the quickest or most technical but a very tough, strong competitor.

I do hope he gets a chance and continues to develop as he's been a mainstay in a successful U23 season.

With Nyambe possibly going, I do hope that a fast defender is sought out or that Pickering is just that.

I am not so much bothered if the defender is fast, what I want is a good defender. I don't get your logic with Nyambe and Pickering as they play in different positions.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There aren’t many good slow fullbacks.

Not in the modern game anyway. A 442 you could get away with it but these days FBs are expected to be wingers too.

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There aren’t many good slow fullbacks.

I would say there are no slow professional footballers. More that some are faster than others. Give me defenders who can defend over ones that the main part of their game is attacking. If you want wide attackers then play wingers.  

On 27/03/2021 at 14:54, bluebruce said:

Holland is actually just a region of the Netherlands, which is the official name of the country. Some Dutch also use the term to describe the whole country, but some actually find it offensive.

I don't know if you already knew that.

We did and it’s still Holland 😁

On 27/03/2021 at 21:30, rigger said:

I am not so much bothered if the defender is fast, what I want is a good defender. I don't get your logic with Nyambe and Pickering as they play in different positions.

Having at least one pacey defender can make a big difference, regardless of which position they play. It probably means the defence plays several yards further upfield. Ideally, a team would have a few. A slow defence means having to play deep and more defensive - though it can work. Houllier's Liverpool team with Henchoz, Hyypia etc in defence did well grinding out results but it does rely on near perfect defending and having forwards that take their chances.

1 hour ago, riverholmes said:

Having at least one pacey defender can make a big difference, regardless of which position they play. It probably means the defence plays several yards further upfield. Ideally, a team would have a few. A slow defence means having to play deep and more defensive - though it can work. Houllier's Liverpool team with Henchoz, Hyypia etc in defence did well grinding out results but it does rely on near perfect defending and having forwards that take their chances.

As a defensive strategy, I would say that is a load of bollocks. If the defence played further up because you have one faster than most defender, the attackers would just target one of the other defenders. You need a co-ordinated defence, ideally with a plan that has been practiced in training. 

On 25/03/2021 at 10:51, briansol said:

As a Norwegian, great credits to Gibraltar for the effort. They played with big hearts and commitment. Great goalkeeper! 

Was interested to see how Annesly would cope, but hard to judge since the quality gap is so large. Gibraltar played two banks of defensive lines with an energetic striker who tried to chase the ball the few times it crossed the oppo half. 

Yeah Tjay De Barr is a real problem for defenders cos he's very quick and pretty decent with the ball at his feet - it means he gets kicked around a bit and wins a lot of free kicks (including the one Liam Walker converted for their first win as a FIFA nation against Latvia). Problem for him is lack of service, although both his goals for the national team have come from effective counter attacks. There's a reason he got signed by Real Oviedo in Spain's second tier in 2019, shame he returned to Gib this season due to uncertainty about Covid at the time. Hasn't exactly been banging them in at club level either because he's been pushed out wide in favour of Kike Gómez, a Spanish-Filipino striker. Dayle Coleing (the keeper) should be playing in the EFL within a couple of years.

Annesley starts again tonight vs the Netherlands. The Dutch are managed by Frank De Boer so honestly anything could happen.

Edited by inflikted
2 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Report: Sunderland Under-18s 0-2 Rovers Under-18s - News - Blackburn Rovers

U'18's doing well. I've read a few reports recently and Gilsenan and Baker always seem to be involved in the goals. Anybody seen them play? Any good?

I've seen Baker around four times now at PL2 level with the 23's and he definitely seems a bit deer in the headlights on that stage, but seems to impress at 18's level. Gilsenan has also featured for the 23's a few times and was good in the FAYC run of 19/20 for the 18's. 

Article from Lancs Live about Blackburn's PL2 title bid: https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-pl2-title-challenge-20338260

Would be great for Rovers to win it and play in the UEFA Youth League next season against some of Europe's best. Especially considering the side is largely home grown compared to the amount of money invested by more illustrious rivals.