BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There aren’t many good slow fullbacks.

I would say there are no slow professional footballers. More that some are faster than others. Give me defenders who can defend over ones that the main part of their game is attacking. If you want wide attackers then play wingers.  

On 27/03/2021 at 14:54, bluebruce said:

Holland is actually just a region of the Netherlands, which is the official name of the country. Some Dutch also use the term to describe the whole country, but some actually find it offensive.

I don't know if you already knew that.

We did and it’s still Holland 😁

On 27/03/2021 at 21:30, rigger said:

I am not so much bothered if the defender is fast, what I want is a good defender. I don't get your logic with Nyambe and Pickering as they play in different positions.

Having at least one pacey defender can make a big difference, regardless of which position they play. It probably means the defence plays several yards further upfield. Ideally, a team would have a few. A slow defence means having to play deep and more defensive - though it can work. Houllier's Liverpool team with Henchoz, Hyypia etc in defence did well grinding out results but it does rely on near perfect defending and having forwards that take their chances.

1 hour ago, riverholmes said:

Having at least one pacey defender can make a big difference, regardless of which position they play. It probably means the defence plays several yards further upfield. Ideally, a team would have a few. A slow defence means having to play deep and more defensive - though it can work. Houllier's Liverpool team with Henchoz, Hyypia etc in defence did well grinding out results but it does rely on near perfect defending and having forwards that take their chances.

As a defensive strategy, I would say that is a load of bollocks. If the defence played further up because you have one faster than most defender, the attackers would just target one of the other defenders. You need a co-ordinated defence, ideally with a plan that has been practiced in training. 

On 25/03/2021 at 10:51, briansol said:

As a Norwegian, great credits to Gibraltar for the effort. They played with big hearts and commitment. Great goalkeeper! 

Was interested to see how Annesly would cope, but hard to judge since the quality gap is so large. Gibraltar played two banks of defensive lines with an energetic striker who tried to chase the ball the few times it crossed the oppo half. 

Yeah Tjay De Barr is a real problem for defenders cos he's very quick and pretty decent with the ball at his feet - it means he gets kicked around a bit and wins a lot of free kicks (including the one Liam Walker converted for their first win as a FIFA nation against Latvia). Problem for him is lack of service, although both his goals for the national team have come from effective counter attacks. There's a reason he got signed by Real Oviedo in Spain's second tier in 2019, shame he returned to Gib this season due to uncertainty about Covid at the time. Hasn't exactly been banging them in at club level either because he's been pushed out wide in favour of Kike Gómez, a Spanish-Filipino striker. Dayle Coleing (the keeper) should be playing in the EFL within a couple of years.

Annesley starts again tonight vs the Netherlands. The Dutch are managed by Frank De Boer so honestly anything could happen.

Edited by inflikted

2 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Report: Sunderland Under-18s 0-2 Rovers Under-18s - News - Blackburn Rovers

U'18's doing well. I've read a few reports recently and Gilsenan and Baker always seem to be involved in the goals. Anybody seen them play? Any good?

I've seen Baker around four times now at PL2 level with the 23's and he definitely seems a bit deer in the headlights on that stage, but seems to impress at 18's level. Gilsenan has also featured for the 23's a few times and was good in the FAYC run of 19/20 for the 18's. 

Article from Lancs Live about Blackburn's PL2 title bid: https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-pl2-title-challenge-20338260

Would be great for Rovers to win it and play in the UEFA Youth League next season against some of Europe's best. Especially considering the side is largely home grown compared to the amount of money invested by more illustrious rivals.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, inflikted said:

Article from Lancs Live about Blackburn's PL2 title bid: https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-pl2-title-challenge-20338260

Would be great for Rovers to win it and play in the UEFA Youth League next season against some of Europe's best. Especially considering the side is largely home grown compared to the amount of money invested by more illustrious rivals.

Isn't the UEFA Youth League done on a more invited along style basis, based on Champions League teams at senior level? Manchester United have been involved with that for some time despite their league position often being in the 2nd division of the PL2 or the mid-table of the PL2 Div 1.

Edited by JoeH

On 07/04/2021 at 23:32, inflikted said:

Do they have to win the league to enter that? Second won't suffice?

• Like 1

Having researched it. The UEFA Youth League is comprised of the teams at senior level who play in the UEFA Champions League and then one other side, the U18's top team in the domestic U18's division. Not 23's level.

4 hours ago, JoeH said:

Having researched it. The UEFA Youth League is comprised of the teams at senior level who play in the UEFA Champions League and then one other side, the U18's top team in the domestic U18's division. Not 23's level.

My bad, that's a shame then. I knew it was often the youth teams of the senior sides who made it + the actual youth league champions (if that team's senior side isn't in the CL) but forgot the age level. This year would've had a youth team of a second tier Russian side take part if it had gone ahead.

Edited by inflikted
  • Like 1

Behind due to two sloppy mistakes in the midfield which allowed Everton to counter. With Everton's pace on the break being their main threat, the mistakes completely left the defence exposed and they had no chance. Though Everton fell victim to a similar error which allowed Rovers back into the game and the team have been growing back into it since then.

• Like 1

It is refreshing to watch a game of football involving Rovers where you feel like there is some interest in winning...

These lads all look very good technically, and hungry, temperamental. Bodes well for the future, ceteris paribus 😉

Edited by WIR Second Coming
Latin is a language as dead as dead can be, it killed the Ancient Rovers, and now it's killing me
  • Like 1

In attack we are much more creative and can get the ball into the box from midfield with little fuss. Very enjoyable. We seem to turn possession into chances very quickly.

I thought it was striking that our main weakness was losing the ball when the full back was pushed way too far up the pitch. Both goals came from the gaping hole that the LB left. We also seem very keen to take short set pieces to the point that the Everton commentators straight up laughed at how badly wasted one free kick was.

Commentators going off about how McBride must've had a bad game to be taken off, only for their golden boy Broadhead to get taken off seconds later.

Though in the first half they were talking in a very condescending tone about how Barnes started his career with Marine and Annesley is only an international for Gibraltar so best off ignoring everything they say.

Edited by inflikted

21 minutes ago, bazza said:

Sorry but this is like watching Mowbray football.

I've finished.

I disagree, we keep possession, but try to get it through midfield quickly. A problem that seems to be re-occurring same as the first team, is the quality of crosses. Obviously not important enough to practice them.