BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

managed to intercept Liverpool balls 9 times in the game, moved us forward well. I think he'll go a long way, remind me a lot of Nyambe at this age.

I don't think he will make a fullback. He might have a career in a different position.

4 hours ago, JoeH said:

I'd disagree. They play quite a clear 4-3-3. Burns often drifts to the right or left to create an overload on one side in possession, but in general you'll see Whitehall, Nolan and Garrett as your midfield three. 

It looked like a 4-4-2 to me, but, I must say, wasn't the clearest camera angle. It looked like Butterworth and Burns up top.

Cirino does look promising from what I've seen. On the other hand, Pike stands out as strong and with the physique of someone older but on the ball, he hasn't impressed me and defensively looks a bit slow. But, I do accept that I haven't seen anywhere near enough to reach a definite judgment. If he is 5 '8, might explain why he's right back rather than centre back. 

Edit: Watched more of the match recording and correct myself, it was a 4-3-3 type formation - but in effect, the way that Durrant, especially, and Butterworth, tracked back, it was often a 4-5-1. I think that is the way the formation should be played, with a disciplined 4-5-1 off the ball.

Edited by riverholmes

Yeah the 23's are more conservative with the 4-3-3. All three CM's in Whitehall, Garrett & Nolan move upwards and downwards together as a pack rather than three players in differing roles with differing responsibilities.

18 hours ago, JoeH said:

managed to intercept Liverpool balls 9 times in the game, moved us forward well. I think he'll go a long way, remind me a lot of Nyambe at this age.

What level do you think he will play. I think he will struggle to get in our first team.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

What level do you think he will play. I think he will struggle to get in our first team.

He's 17, not many lads that age are ready. Only rare ones like Elliott who come along and can play Championship football so young. Let's see how he develops but positive signs.

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

He's 17, not many lads that age are ready. Only rare ones like Elliott who come along and can play Championship football so young. Let's see how he develops but positive signs.

That's where our opinions differ. I don't see the positive signs that you do. I hope I am proved wrong, but only time will tell

Missed some bits but I'd say we look better second half than first, but hardly scintillating still. A few players have looked handy in moments but nobody grabbing the game by the scruff. Derby a strong side at this level though of course.

Edited by bluebruce

Tyler Magloire is getting game time at Motherwell but has not impressed the fans it seems, so far. He seemed to be at fault for a free header, after Motherwell had failed to stop a cross, in their Scottish Cup QF defeat to Hibs.

Hoping he does improve as we might need him and Carter next season.

8 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Tyler Magloire is getting game time at Motherwell but has not impressed the fans it seems, so far. He seemed to be at fault for a free header, after Motherwell had failed to stop a cross, in their Scottish Cup QF defeat to Hibs.

Beaten easily in the air for the opening Hibs goal where he barely got of the ground. Magloire doesn't appear to be able to jump of the ground and win a header, I noticed that the first time I saw him play. He'll never make it at any decent level as a centre back with that glaring problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Beaten easily in the air for the opening Hibs goal where he barely got of the ground. Magloire doesn't appear to be able to jump of the ground and win a header, I noticed that the first time I saw him play. He'll never make it at any decent level as a centre back with that glaring problem.

Shame on any of his coaches for not addressing this.  I know a personal trainer who looks after athletes and rugby players...part of his specialty is showing sportspeople how to get up high, technique of jumping.

If you watch Shane Long he is a perfect example of someone who has worked on that part of his game....immense for his size.

We really are a shell of a club. The quality of coaching is very poor, Benson etc.  Amateur at best.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Shame on any of his coaches for not addressing this.  I know a personal trainer who looks after athletes and rugby players...part of his specialty is showing sportspeople how to get up high, technique of jumping.

If you watch Shane Long he is a perfect example of someone who has worked on that part of his game....immense for his size.

We really are a shell of a club. The quality of coaching is very poor, Benson etc.  Amateur at best.

Lots of tall guys aren’t great at getting off the ground. Some smaller guys are really good, Denis Law, David Speedie, Kevin Keegan - all capable of out jumping bigger guys. Matty wasn’t bad either.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Lots of tall guys aren’t great at getting off the ground. Some smaller guys are really good, Denis Law, David Speedie, Kevin Keegan - all capable of out jumping bigger guys. Matty wasn’t bad either.

Little guys must jump even as kids, but lanky kids don't have to and so don't. It is bizarre as if they were trained from a young age the height they could achieve would be quite the advantage. Cannavaro was amazing in the air but very short for a CB. I think you are both right, development in football needs rethinking.

12 hours ago, Ulrich said:

I think you are both right, development in football needs rethinking.

I don't think development in football at a national level needs ANOTHER re-think. Perhaps at Rovers there's a conversation to be had about our coaching but the general coaching in the UK and the EPPP are all fairly modern and up to standard with the rest of the EU.

All England have ever done in youth development is copy other countries, that's poor for the home of football. Belgium, Spain, France for example, kids are not physically developed well, nor mentally and this is an issue. Football is not run by the right people and until the FA sees serious reform, nothing will change.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

All England have ever done in youth development is copy other countries, that's poor for the home of football. Belgium, Spain, France for example, kids are not physically developed well, nor mentally and this is an issue. Football is not run by the right people and until the FA sees serious reform, nothing will change.

Not technically true, FA had a huge shake up pre Southgate - well England did and all youth teams, not sure on anything else though.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fa-sent-gareth-southgate-see-9375629

15 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Martin Taylor had the same problem as Magloire. That's when we were a properly owned and managed club. Little Alan Wright could out jump most others.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Shearer was no giant either but boy he could leap!...look at photo's of his winning headed goal against Newcastle on VE Day '95: he was 4 foot above anyone else.

• Like 2

Just now, darrenrover said:

Shearer was no giant either but boy he could leap!...look at photo's of his winning headed goal against Newcastle on VE Day '95: he was 4 foot above anyone else.

He was brilliant at giving himself a yard or two and getting a run on the defender. A 5'10" striker gives himself a good chance against a 6'+ defender if he buys himself that space. Jansen and Speedie were also terrific in this regard. Fabulous readers of the game who saw the whole picture. Its what separates the top, top players from the also-rans.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

He was brilliant at giving himself a yard or two and getting a run on the defender. A 5'10" striker gives himself a good chance against a 6'+ defender if he buys himself that space. Jansen and Speedie were also terrific in this regard. Fabulous readers of the game who saw the whole picture. Its what separates the top, top players from the also-rans.

I'm amazed at the number of professional footballers who don't seem to be able to "read" the game.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, bazza said:

I'm amazed at the number of professional footballers who don't seem to be able to "read" the game.

There is far too much emphasis on pace in the modern game. Being quick is undoubtedly an asset but all the best players I have seen have an uncanny knack of being in the right places despite not having great pace. Probably the best example of this, Bobby Moore once said that the first few yards were in your head. Maybe it's more of a natural trait rather than being coached but I agree entirely with your assertion.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Not technically true, FA had a huge shake up pre Southgate - well England did and all youth teams, not sure on anything else though.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fa-sent-gareth-southgate-see-9375629

Thanks for the link, it was an interesting read. Whilst I think it is good that steps have been taken, the reality is that England teams meet very infrequently and only encompass a very small number of players. For me a better focus is needed on developing the right 'traits' in young players across the board. For example hardwork or applying ones self is a fundamental part of success in any arena and this is what I meant. Clubs/coaches etc do not develop these key personality traits to ensure kids potential is realised and fulfilled. Dealing with failure, negativity and so on are crucial considerations in sport, but do not seem to be developed at a younger age. Physically most young players are weak and yet puberty is the best period in life to develop physical traits, but again we do not seem to do this. It's all about habit formation, trait creation and empowering the kids with the skills they need to succeed. It needs work for me as at national level we clearly have talent but always fall short.

• Like 1