BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

3 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Jack O'Connell came from Liverpool County FA. So many kids get missed as, as Sparks says local scouting at most clubs is pants.

Even the lads that don't make County level are very good, or had a bad trial etc...

My view is that our scouts should be watching District games every week and they are not.  PNE are very close to district football they give Preston support and watch their games....Blackburn & Darwen no longer play district football really...such a shame as it was always very strong in my day.

The highest level of football available to children outside of academy football.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Even the lads that don't make County level are very good, or had a bad trial etc...

My view is that our scouts should be watching District games every week and they are not.  

The highest level of football available to children outside of academy football.

Football is lazy Sparks, they want kids who are 'easy' to develop. The ones with some flaws, who just need something extra, some work, patience etc get ignored.  There is little viewing of grass roots football by clubs, for whatever reason, but with a million kids playing some must be good enough. Rovers would do well to better scout grassroots clubs as our area is saturated with them and some must be good enough.

But we both know player development in football is mainly rubbish. Which is a shame.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Football is lazy Sparks, they want kids who are 'easy' to develop. The ones with some flaws, who just need something extra, some work, patience etc get ignored.  There is little viewing of grass roots football by clubs, for whatever reason, but with a million kids playing some must be good enough. Rovers would do well to better scout grassroots clubs as our area is saturated with them and some must be good enough.

But we both know player development in football is mainly rubbish. Which is a shame.

I understand grassroots is difficult to scout. Rep football isn't, people like me have done most of the work for them.  They just need to turn up and watch....🙄 don't get me wrong there are local Rovers scouts you just don't see them as much as others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bazza said:
18 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I understand grassroots is difficult to scout. Rep football isn't, people like me have done most of the work for them.  They just need to turn up and watch....🙄 don't get me wrong there are local Rovers scouts you just don't see them as much as others.

Their busy playing Dream League Soccer on their laptops hoping to unearth a hidden gem 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

Their busy playing Dream League Soccer on their laptops hoping to unearth a hidden gem 

When will the next James Beattie, Matty Derbyshire, David Dunn, Paul Gallagher, Phil Jones(another of my lads) come through....? We win these shitty academy leagues but no real players come through anymore from the area.

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

You are correct he is a Rovers fan. What a player he is...left footed defender come wing back.  My captain was Lewis. Saw it years ago, played for Scotland U17s last season.👍 captain of his district and Lancashire.

We are at cross purposes - the lad I know is a keeper. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

We are at cross purposes - the lad I know is a keeper. 

That's Oliver. He was my keeper too. His dad is a nice chap.. was big into his cricket...I did not know he was a Rovers fan.😆

That's 2 Rovers fans signing Pro with the nobbers....I don't know who the other 2 support....one is Haslingden so might also be a Rovers fan...

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Grayson released.  Wonder where he will turn up🙄

Hmmm....

On a slightly related note, got a bit of grief off an irate Mercedes driver on the way to work the other day. The guy took offence to my correct use of the outside filter lane as he tried to sneak through on the inside lane off the M55 at the Kirkham junction.

The guy really needed to 'get real'.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2021 at 09:00, Sparks Rover said:

Ok mate, sorry.  Representative football. District and County...I run a District and manage at County level too...and we have a shit hot County mate you should be proud.

The 3 lads represented the same district and county.  👍 Lancashire La La La......Lancashire La La La.....

I have no idea how youth football development is done now. Can lads play for both a pro club and their school/district/county?

Just now, speeeeeeedie said:

I have no idea how youth football development is done now. Can lads play for both a pro club and their school/district/county?

Yep...its a long story...some don't like it.

Our knuckle dragging friends actively discourage their academy lads from participating.....I've banned their scouts👍

Most other actively encourage it...especially the nobbers in Lancashire more than any other club...

In our age groups now are players who play for Utd, Everton, Nobbers, Notlob,  a couple of the lesser ones like Morecambe and Accy.....its a very good standard of football without the sanitisation of academy football....Good players who aren't at academies get to compete against lads that are.....I love it.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yep...its a long story...some don't like it.

Our knuckle dragging friends actively discourage their academy lads from participating.....I've banned their scouts👍

Most other actively encourage it...especially the nobbers in Lancashire more than any other club...

In our age groups now are players who play for Utd, Everton, Nobbers, Notlob,  a couple of the lesser ones like Morecambe and Accy.....its a very good standard of football without the sanitisation of academy football....Good players who aren't at academies get to compete against lads that are.....I love it.

Thanks. I'd heard snippets that it's a complicated issue.

I can see both sides of it. Kids need to enjoy playing, only playing for an academy turns it into a win or bust scenario. Clubs want to develop players their way and don't want distractions. Clubs are selfish though, and will not hesitate to get rid quickly.

My nephew is being courted by a whole host of clubs. He's 8. It's daft. He has been to City a few times. He says that he won't go again as it's boring.

Unfortunately his team is now finished. Most of the players will be playing at academies come September. According to his dad, none of the lads who have gone are good enough, but their parents have gone starry eyed.

5 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Thanks. I'd heard snippets that it's a complicated issue.

I can see both sides of it. Kids need to enjoy playing, only playing for an academy turns it into a win or bust scenario. Clubs want to develop players their way and don't want distractions. Clubs are selfish though, and will not hesitate to get rid quickly.

My nephew is being courted by a whole host of clubs. He's 8. It's daft. He has been to City a few times. He says that he won't go again as it's boring.

Unfortunately his team is now finished. Most of the players will be playing at academies come September. According to his dad, none of the lads who have gone are good enough, but their parents have gone starry eyed.

What area does he go to school....?

No surprise we have released Grayson or Mols. neither were ever going to break into the first team football here. 

I think Grayson might end up at Fleetwood under his dad and Dunn there. Don't see Mols playing any higher than league 2 football sadly. 

Pleased we have extended the registration for Pike, Burns and Barnes. 

Also a shout out to the work that Billy Barr has done with the under 23's this season and Mike Sheron with the under 18's this season. They deserved praised for the work and results they have achieved this season

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Sparks said Mols was better than Buckley. I'm surprised Mols hasn't got fixed up with a Prem club already. I'm looking forward to seeing him on M0TD next season. 

You have a funny fixation with my opinion.  I'm flattered.

Look, this time last season  someone thought that Dolan wasn't good enough for the nobbers for a 12 months deal,  let alone do quite well in the championship.

Just my opinion mate.  You wouldn't have heard of young Grayson if he had a different dad, Mols was always a class above and it worries me that the club couldn't transfer that into a player.  Shame on Mogadon 

On 13/05/2021 at 15:22, Sparks Rover said:

When will the next James Beattie, Matty Derbyshire, David Dunn, Paul Gallagher, Phil Jones(another of my lads) come through....? We win these shitty academy leagues but no real players come through anymore from the area.

Fingers crossed the new guy they signed from PNE rectifies that. No excuse for missing the talent in your back yard. 

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

Fingers crossed the new guy they signed from PNE rectifies that. No excuse for missing the talent in your back yard. 

You mean Dolan? Not sure he has it in him myself.  They got another lad in the 23s that came from the nobbers.

11 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

You mean Dolan? Not sure he has it in him myself.  They got another lad in the 23s that came from the nobbers.

Think he means the coaching fella we took from their youth system a few weeks ago.

Personally I'm absolutely certain Dolan has it in him. Bags of talent. Some of the things he can do with the ball are just magical, he's very young and has the right attitude by all accounts. However, these are key development years and I just don't think TM is remotely the right manager for him, so we will see what happens.

IMO he has already lost something like 6 months worth of development this season.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 5

Brad Lyons and Tom White must be up there with some of the oddest signings we've made at this level. In hindsight it really just feels as though they were brought here to keep results moving in the PL2, before some loans and being let go.