BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

1 hour ago, inflikted said:

Any news on if Annesley has a new deal yet? Heard he's been offered one, can only think that if he signs he'll either be put in the fringes of the first team or get loaned out to a League One club.

I think Annesley will be kept in the development squad until he leaves. 

• Like 1

Both Birmingham and Nottingham Forest granted Category 1 academy status for next year.

All these other clubs growing and improving meanwhile Waggott wants us to knock ours down and lose it.

Note that these clubs are Championship not PL and don't have parachute money so we can put that little excuse to bed.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

That’s quality. A lad from Ossy that supports Rovers too! Good man.

I've known this lad since he was 12.

I'm surprised he's still here. Maybe he's come on a bit but not for me. My opinions are my own.

Edited by Sparks Rover

Perhaps it is just my way of looking at it. But he looks like another full-back that isn't very good at defending, but is fast as an attacking player. I must admit this is based on very limited viewing of the player. 

4 hours ago, rigger said:

Perhaps it is just my way of looking at it. But he looks like another full-back that isn't very good at defending, but is fast as an attacking player. I must admit this is based on very limited viewing of the player. 

Funny you should say that. He was always a forward.  Not a very good one really...played County level but I've seen better knocking around these parts.

40 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Funny you should say that. He was always a forward.  Not a very good one really...played County level but I've seen better knocking around these parts.

Do you rate any of our u23s?

15 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not really. Keeper is decent in the 23s, young Easty.

Alright, but you rate quite a few of Preston's youth lads. They don't have an u23s so let me rephrase so we can compare - do you rate any of our u18s?

The current u18s and previous ones currently in the u23s have pretty much all performed at a higher level than the Preston kids. Unless you think our youth teams are just very well organised/managed? Which I'm also expecting you'll say no to.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Alright, but you rate quite a few of Preston's youth lads. They don't have an u23s so let me rephrase so we can compare - do you rate any of our u18s?

The current u18s and previous ones currently in the u23s have pretty much all performed at a higher level than the Preston kids. Unless you think our youth teams are just very well organised/managed? Which I'm also expecting you'll say no to.

I'm only commenting on ones I've seen plenty of.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not really. Keeper is decent in the 23s, young Easty.

You need to cast an eye on Isaac Whitehall - he's a talent. Jake Garrett is the same for me.

8 hours ago, JoeH said:

You need to cast an eye on Isaac Whitehall - he's a talent. Jake Garrett is the same for me.

Really like the look of Whitehall. Big lad who can get up and down from the games I've watched this season. 

Looks physically ready for mens football unlike alot of other youngsters 

• Like 3

Louie once again called up. Slovenia will be a good test for him while Gib should be favourites against Andorra - however with Lee Casciaro, Liam Walker and Jayve Olivero missing it's going to be a fairly experimental side. 17 year old Bilal Douah gets called up even though he's yet to play a single senior game at club level, so could be interesting to see how he performs. Game vs Slovenia will see two of the best goalkeepers in the world (if you believe Jan Åge Fjørtoft) go up against each other with Dayle Coleing in the Gib net and Jan Oblak likely starting for Slovenia.

Edited by inflikted

1 hour ago, inflikted said:
Game vs Slovenia will see two of the best goalkeepers in the world (if you believe Jan Åge Fjørtoft) go up against each other with Dayle Coleing in the Gib net and Jan Oblak likely starting for Slovenia.

I've never seen nor heard of either of those players, nor of Mr Fjortoft, but I still have a hard time believing him for some reason...

(Edit - a quick google shows me it's a fair claim for Oblak. No, I don't keep up with football above our level much anymore 😛 After googling Fjortoft I do vaguely recall him from the 90s, but why is he bumming the Gib goalie who plays in Northern Ireland? I assumed he was the Gib boss or something but doesn't seem to be)

Edited by bluebruce

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Barnes and Pike look good too. Lots of talent coming through the Academy. 

Thank god for Jack's legacy. 

Need to go out on loan, I think, as Mowbray seems reluctant to give them a chance. We had no strikers for the bench at the end of the season and rather than feature McBride to gain experience and confidence for a few minutes, Mowbray had four or five central midfield options on the bench.

I think Barnes, Garrett and Whitehall could make it at Rovers but Mowbray's tactics and reluctance are major obstacles. Unconvinced by Dan Pike, but, again, a loan move will be a good test.

Given the dire showings from our first team, many of our U23 team should be backing themselves.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I've never seen nor heard of either of those players, nor of Mr Fjortoft, but I still have a hard time believing him for some reason...

(Edit - a quick google shows me it's a fair claim for Oblak. No, I don't keep up with football above our level much anymore 😛 After googling Fjortoft I do vaguely recall him from the 90s, but why is he bumming the Gib goalie who plays in Northern Ireland? I assumed he was the Gib boss or something but doesn't seem to be)

The keeper basically went into FM goalkeeper glitch mode vs Norway and the Netherlands (until he got injured in the latter game anyway) and saved almost everything that came his way.

See here:

Edited by inflikted
  • Like 1

On 27/05/2021 at 10:22, Sparks Rover said:

I've known this lad since he was 12.

I'm surprised he's still here. Maybe he's come on a bit but not for me. My opinions are my own.

My lad has played against him a few times. Always thought he was decent but never 'that' good

6 minutes ago, JBiz said:

It’s a huge advantage having an academy - who would you rate as most likely to make some headway this season?

From watching live games before pandemic ended us watching inside stadiums 3 names are Whitehall, Pike and Burns. Eastham could be good keeper for us. McBride did well last season in terms of goals but never seen him live

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Good news 

Makes sense, there very much seems to be an order at the moment. Any player within the senior squad with a contract about to expire, we cant do anything. Players on the fringes with likely very little if any interest elsewhere, or with serious injuries, Buckley, Dolan, Wharton and even Dack, we can just about get them done, although at least 2 or 3 of them mentioned how long it took. Kids nowhere near the first team, 4 year deal easily sorted.