Jump to content

BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s


Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Funny you should say that. He was always a forward.  Not a very good one really...played County level but I've seen better knocking around these parts.

Do you rate any of our u23s?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not really. Keeper is decent in the 23s, young Easty.

Alright, but you rate quite a few of Preston's youth lads. They don't have an u23s so let me rephrase so we can compare - do you rate any of our u18s?

The current u18s and previous ones currently in the u23s have pretty much all performed at a higher level than the Preston kids. Unless you think our youth teams are just very well organised/managed? Which I'm also expecting you'll say no to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Alright, but you rate quite a few of Preston's youth lads. They don't have an u23s so let me rephrase so we can compare - do you rate any of our u18s?

The current u18s and previous ones currently in the u23s have pretty much all performed at a higher level than the Preston kids. Unless you think our youth teams are just very well organised/managed? Which I'm also expecting you'll say no to.

I'm only commenting on ones I've seen plenty of.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not really. Keeper is decent in the 23s, young Easty.

You need to cast an eye on Isaac Whitehall - he's a talent. Jake Garrett is the same for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, JoeH said:

You need to cast an eye on Isaac Whitehall - he's a talent. Jake Garrett is the same for me.

Really like the look of Whitehall. Big lad who can get up and down from the games I've watched this season. 

 

Looks physically ready for mens football unlike alot of other youngsters 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Louie once again called up. Slovenia will be a good test for him while Gib should be favourites against Andorra - however with Lee Casciaro, Liam Walker and Jayve Olivero missing it's going to be a fairly experimental side. 17 year old Bilal Douah gets called up even though he's yet to play a single senior game at club level, so could be interesting to see how he performs. Game vs Slovenia will see two of the best goalkeepers in the world (if you believe Jan Åge Fjørtoft) go up against each other with Dayle Coleing in the Gib net and Jan Oblak likely starting for Slovenia.

Edited by inflikted
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, inflikted said:
Game vs Slovenia will see two of the best goalkeepers in the world (if you believe Jan Åge Fjørtoft) go up against each other with Dayle Coleing in the Gib net and Jan Oblak likely starting for Slovenia.

I've never seen nor heard of either of those players, nor of Mr Fjortoft, but I still have a hard time believing him for some reason...

(Edit - a quick google shows me it's a fair claim for Oblak. No, I don't keep up with football above our level much anymore 😛 After googling Fjortoft I do vaguely recall him from the 90s, but why is he bumming the Gib goalie who plays in Northern Ireland? I assumed he was the Gib boss or something but doesn't seem to be)

Edited by bluebruce
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Barnes and Pike look good too. Lots of talent coming through the Academy. 

Thank god for Jack's legacy. 

Need to go out on loan, I think, as Mowbray seems reluctant to give them a chance. We had no strikers for the bench at the end of the season and rather than feature McBride to gain experience and confidence for a few minutes, Mowbray had four or five central midfield options on the bench.

I think Barnes, Garrett and Whitehall could make it at Rovers but Mowbray's tactics and reluctance are major obstacles. Unconvinced by Dan Pike, but, again, a loan move will be a good test.

Given the dire showings from our first team, many of our U23 team should be backing themselves.

Edited by riverholmes
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I've never seen nor heard of either of those players, nor of Mr Fjortoft, but I still have a hard time believing him for some reason...

(Edit - a quick google shows me it's a fair claim for Oblak. No, I don't keep up with football above our level much anymore 😛 After googling Fjortoft I do vaguely recall him from the 90s, but why is he bumming the Gib goalie who plays in Northern Ireland? I assumed he was the Gib boss or something but doesn't seem to be)

The keeper basically went into FM goalkeeper glitch mode vs Norway and the Netherlands (until he got injured in the latter game anyway) and saved almost everything that came his way.

See here:

 

Edited by inflikted
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/05/2021 at 10:22, Sparks Rover said:

I've known this lad since he was 12.

I'm surprised he's still here. Maybe he's come on a bit but not for me. My opinions are my own.

My lad has played against him a few times. Always thought he was decent but never 'that' good

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Good news 

It’s a huge advantage having an academy - who would you rate as most likely to make some headway this season?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JBiz said:

It’s a huge advantage having an academy - who would you rate as most likely to make some headway this season?

 

From watching live games before pandemic ended us watching inside stadiums 3 names are Whitehall, Pike and Burns. Eastham could be good keeper for us. McBride did well last season in terms of goals but never seen him live

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Good news 

Makes sense, there very much seems to be an order at the moment. Any player within the senior squad with a contract about to expire, we cant do anything. Players on the fringes with likely very little if any interest elsewhere, or with serious injuries, Buckley, Dolan, Wharton and even Dack, we can just about get them done, although at least 2 or 3 of them mentioned how long it took. Kids nowhere near the first team, 4 year deal easily sorted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Makes sense, there very much seems to be an order at the moment. Any player within the senior squad with a contract about to expire, we cant do anything. Players on the fringes with likely very little if any interest elsewhere, or with serious injuries, Buckley, Dolan, Wharton and even Dack, we can just about get them done, although at least 2 or 3 of them mentioned how long it took. Kids nowhere near the first team, 4 year deal easily sorted.

Rovers offered new terms top Nyambe, JRC and Rothwell last season but none of the players accept the terms. I have no idea what they terms were but they were offered new terms. Think Miller11 posted a while back that JRC won't sign a new contract cos of concerns over playing position. Not everything is down to money. 

We need to be signing our good quality players to long term contracts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers offered new terms top Nyambe, JRC and Rothwell last season but none of the players accept the terms. I have no idea what they terms were but they were offered new terms. Think Miller11 posted a while back that JRC won't sign a new contract cos of concerns over playing position. Not everything is down to money. 

We need to be signing our good quality players to long term contracts

When the club cant agree contracts with any first team players (Armstrong aside, none would be huge losses individually perhaps but that makes it even more galling) aside from ones done after a lengthy negotiation period that have either not established themselves in the first team or have suffered serious injuries, it just shows where we are at at the moment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rovers have snapped up former Wolves & Manchester United midfielder Harley O'Grady. Former captain of United's U13's despite playing a year up, the 16-year old becomes another player in a long line to have made the switch from Man Utd to Rovers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

When the club cant agree contracts with any first team players (Armstrong aside, none would be huge losses individually perhaps but that makes it even more galling) aside from ones done after a lengthy negotiation period that have either not established themselves in the first team or have suffered serious injuries, it just shows where we are at at the moment. 

I disagree. 

I can see why Rothwell hasn't sign a new deal I would suggest it's more over his role in the team and position. Similar to what has been posted about JRC on here. 

But I would say now it's even more important we have to keep developing and bringing through our academy players 

Edited by chaddyrovers
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I disagree. 

I can see why Rothwell hasn't sign a new deal I would suggest it's more over his role in the team and position. Similar to what has been posted about JRC on here. 

But I would say now it's even more important we have to keep developing and bringing through our academy players 

Rothwell played regularly all season in a central role so that makes no sense. And I have heard 2 different rumours on here about Rankin Costello, that he wants to play a different position and that he is still on a pitiful wage that we arent willing to noticeably increase.

Either way, its pretty depressing to see that 2 players we want to keep, we are unable to do so and ae struggling with contract negotiations. One is made of glass and has been ok when he has played. The other has talent but 9 times out of 10 doesnt turn up. Id like to keep both ideally but the fact that even players like this we cant sign up again is not a good sign.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Rothwell played regularly all season in a central role so that makes no sense. And I have heard 2 different rumours on here about Rankin Costello, that he wants to play a different position and that he is still on a pitiful wage that we arent willing to noticeably increase.

Either way, its pretty depressing to see that 2 players we want to keep, we are unable to do so and ae struggling with contract negotiations. One is made of glass and has been ok when he has played. The other has talent but 9 times out of 10 doesnt turn up. Id like to keep both ideally but the fact that even players like this we cant sign up again is not a good sign.

How many starts did Rothwell make last season? And as you say doesnt impact games enough. Will his talent ever develop into the player he should or would it take a different manager to make this happen?

On Rankin-Costello, the one I heard was he wants to play in a more attacking position and not as a full back. Now we Pike coming through Mowbray has no excuses now to use him wide right or left. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

But you want to build the midfield around Bucko instead.?  

You're confusing yourself with your argumentative ways.

You say this, but then you’re on at the lad with every post he makes yourself!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.