BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I doubt we will play that though, so we will just be left with Muddled Mowbray and a weaker squad 

I am sure you are right about Mowbray. But I disagree about the squad being weaker.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Mowbray and Rovers have to be looking to get into the playoffs this season. Mowbray has to find a way to play and to the squad strengths this season. Of Course we would all like a new manager in place and for him to be putting his own stamp on the squad and making his own signings. 

We got rid of the deadwood of the squad like Bennett, Downing, Mulgrew, Evans and Bell surely thats the right decision?

It's extremely unlikely Mowbray will get us anywhere near the play offs though, isn't it? More likely a death spiral and we will be in trouble because the owners won't sack him. I hope he proves me wrong, but looking at it logically based off previous seasons , the signs aren't pointing that direction. 

Deadwood that used to play on occasion in Evans and Bell. Bennett and Mulgrew should have been gone the season before and spending a wage on Downing made no sense. You could say it was good to have his experience around, but going off his comments we just had an unhappy player, which would have the opposite affect. Things do not appear well in the camp and I have no doubt the players probably can't believe the manager is still here either. 

Do you honestly think we can get anywhere near the play offs? 

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

I am sure you are right about Mowbray. But I disagree about the squad being weaker.

It currently is weaker though. We don't know who we are signing and young players stepping up is an unknown quantity. Plus we will probably lose Armstrong and Mowbrays record of spending considerable money on strikers is pretty bad. Plus we still have no head of recruitment after 5 months. 

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It currently is weaker though. We don't know who we are signing and young players stepping up is an unknown quantity. Plus we will probably lose Armstrong and Mowbrays record of spending considerable money on strikers is pretty bad. Plus we still have no head of recruitment after 5 months. 

I don't see how the squad can be weaker when we have got rid of Amarii Bell and other deadwood !

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's extremely unlikely Mowbray will get us anywhere near the play offs though, isn't it?

We get close at times but we don't seem able to when we get close to take that next final step and push for the top 6 spot

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Deadwood that used to play on occasion in Evans and Bell. Bennett and Mulgrew should have been gone the season before and spending a wage on Downing made no sense. You could say it was good to have his experience around, but going off his comments we just had an unhappy player, which would have the opposite affect.

But now all have left the club and we move on now. 

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Do you honestly think we can get anywhere near the play offs? 

Thats should be aim for Mowbray this season. No excuses. We have been in the championship now for 3 years and top 6 place should be the aim this season

2 hours ago, rigger said:

round about tenth. With a more dynamic manager maybe play-offs

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

at least 3 players in right back Dan Pike, Conor McBride and Hayden Carter all should be part of the squad this coming season. 

Depends how we set up and who the replacement is for Armstrong. Plus I think Squad has talent within it as well as experience. Just need a few signings like back up left back, centre back, centre midfielder and winger plus a replacement for Armstrong if he goes. 

Where do you think we will finish then?

Whether the squad has talent and to what degree we can debate until the cows come home, but the key is that it will be the same manager. Why is he going to suddenly unlock that talent more consistently? The possession based nonsense and the wide striker and false 9 experiments wont suddenly be shelved under Mowbray.

To look at your scenario first rigger on the assumption that our only further signing would be another left back. And maybe an Armstrong replacement, which will be practically impossible to replace a 28 goal striker. So the same manager, and otherwise the same squad aside from some loanee returns and untested kids replacing Elliott, Harwood Bellis, Holtby, Evans etc. I cant see how the natural conclusion would be to finish in the top 10 from that. With a poorer squad (I am happy with the released players in that we had little value from them but without them yet no external replacements, we are undoubtedly weaker) I would suspect slightly lower than 15th.

If we was to assume that we have scope to sign players as per your scenario chaddy, there is a bit more scope for a higher finish but that is then reliant on Mowbrays recruitment and even then following an embargo to which we have no clue on when it will end, and other teams and players wont wait for us. We will need to replace the goals and assists of Elliott and maybe Armstrong, and Harwood Bellis will be a miss too. Not much scope for optimism under Mowbray. Mediocrity would be my guess, closer to the bottom 3 than the top 6.

Edited by roversfan99

48 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We get close at times but we don't seem able to when we get close to take that next final step and push for the top 6 spot

But now all have left the club and we move on now. 

Thats should be aim for Mowbray this season. No excuses. We have been in the championship now for 3 years and top 6 place should be the aim this season

It was the aim last season though and he is basically coming out putting a dampener on expectations for this season. 

Do you think there is any chance this squad under Mowbray can make the play offs? 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It was the aim last season though and he is basically coming out putting a dampener on expectations for this season. 

Do you think there is any chance this squad under Mowbray can make the play offs? 

There is always a chance in football. See Switzerland, or Ukraine

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If we was to assume that we have scope to sign players as per your scenario chaddy, there is a bit more scope for a higher finish but that is then reliant on Mowbrays recruitment and even then following an embargo to which we have no clue on when it will end, and other teams and players wont wait for us. We will need to replace the goals and assists of Elliott and maybe Armstrong, and Harwood Bellis will be a miss too. Not much scope for optimism under Mowbray. Mediocrity would be my guess, closer to the bottom 3 than the top 6.

Harwood-Bellis will be replace by Wharton and Ayala. 

Elliott will need replacing but I confident that's players like JRC and Dolan can fill some of the void plus we still need a wide signing for me. 

Replacing Armstrong will be tough but they are players who I feel can replace him and score goals. I've suggested in the past Who I would target. 

If you have no optimism for next season what's the point in getting a season ticket and attend games? 

Been over recruitment several times with yourself so I dont feel the need to do so again. 

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Of course there is otherwise what the point in a season getting another 25 million pounds in debt if we aren't going to promotion? 

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Elliott will need replacing but I confident that's players like JRC and Dolan can fill some of the void plus we still need a wide signing for me. 

Replacing Armstrong will be tough but they are players who I feel can replace him and score goals. I've suggested in the past Who I would target. 

If you have no optimism for next season what's the point in getting a season ticket and attend games? 

Been over recruitment several times with yourself so I dont feel the need to do so again. 

Of course there is otherwise what the point in a season getting another 25 million pounds in debt if we aren't going to promotion? 

Because it's Venkys and this is what they do? Just because they squander £25 million a season, doesn't guarantee us any success and you know that.  2 wins in 17 last season. Downings comments. No head of recruitment. 

The signs are not good. Of course you are entitled to be optimistic if you so choose and I hope you're right, but the signs look clear to me and they don't look good. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wharton isn't back until September, so when will he actually start a game? We better hope Ayala has a much different season than last one. Would you bet now that Ayala will play more than 20 games? 

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

There’s a difference between you believing that millions of quid being pumped in should mean the club aims for promotion.

But you actually believe this squad of players is good enough to do it?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

So, you think that the new money, circa 25 million, is for a promotion push and will be used to strengthen the squad sufficient enough to achieve that.

Mowbray reckons it takes 100 million quid.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

There’s a difference between you believing that millions of quid being pumped in should mean the club aims for promotion.

The manager is a bigger problem for me. To get promoted under him we would need a squad far, far superior to the rest of the division (as in League 1) to negate his influence. There is no chance of that happening so, in my view, there is no chance of promotion even if we theoretically had a squad capable of achieving it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

One would have thought they might have asked themselves 'what is it that we are getting wrong and how can we change things for the better.'  

Havent we been saying this years and other Roves who met the owners have told the same

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Keep Armstrong and sign a couple of quality players we should be looking at Playoffs. Look Barnsley as Example of it's not need millions of pounds but a proper football infrastructure and proper football management. 

53 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

So, you think that the new money, circa 25 million, is for a promotion push and will be used to strengthen the squad sufficient enough to achieve that.

Mowbray is talking BS there. 

Its takes good management, signings players that fit into his tactical approach, take opportunity to get into the top 6..

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Havent we been saying this years and other Roves who met the owners have told the same

Keep Armstrong and sign a couple of quality players we should be looking at Playoffs. Look Barnsley as Example of it's not need millions of pounds but a proper football infrastructure and proper football management

Mowbray is talking BS there. 

Its takes good management, signings players that fit into his tactical approach, take opportunity to get into the top 6..

Which we don't have, so that's why people are struggling to see why you think we can make the play offs? 

It's depressing, but there is no point ignoring reality. 

As for keeping Armstrong, my prediction is we sell him too late to sign a replacement 

Any word of a new head of recruitment? Wonder why it's taking so long. 5 months now. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Any word of a new head of recruitment? Wonder why it's taking so long. 5 months now. 

I answered this yesterday why keep repeating time after time. If you that's bothered contact the club or one of the local journalists or Nicko but respectful stop asking me now

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I answered this yesterday why keep repeating time after time. If you that's bothered contact the club or one of the local journalists or Nicko but respectful stop asking me now

I don't remembering you answering it.

No point asking them, they don't know. It doesn't make sense that 5 months later this key role is unfilled. Nobody is surprised though. 

Ps, I hope you see the irony of saying I repeating time after time 

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wharton isn't back until September, so when will he actually start a game? We better hope Ayala has a much different season than last one. Would you bet now that Ayala will play more than 20 games? 

What odds are you giving ?

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Mowbray doesn't know his arse from his elbow