BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

We really need to be seeing Connor McBride feature for the first team, not only for his development, after a fantastic season with the U23s as both a goalscorer and creator - but also, to ensure we keep him. If he's frozen out this year, I don't see him staying too long. It was an inspired signing by whoever the scout was who spotted/recommended him but we need to make the most of it now.

Edited by riverholmes

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Under 18s match abandoned after 2-0 up, anyone know why? 

The only information we got that was the the required medical support (paramedic ?) was not on site.  There was a delay to kicking off as they waited for one to arrive but the game started and was only called off at half-time.  

0-0 in the U23s game versus Everton, approaching half-time. Teams are:

Eastham, Cirino, Phillips, Annesley, Saadi, Nolan, Haddow, Garrett, Burns, Vale, McBride. Subs: Dowling, Brennan, Weston, Durrant, A. Wharton

Tyrer, John, Anderson, Astley, Welch, Butterfield, Hughes, Whittaker, Dobbin, Price, McAllister. Subs: Barrett, Cannon, Garcia, Mills, Warrington

Edited by riverholmes

2-0 soon turned to 2-2. We looked in complete control before we chucked it away. What really stood out tonight was the truly abysmal finishing. A dozen or so gilt-edged chances and the only way we could score were rebound tap-ins. The academy seems to be producing loads of players who are comfortable on the ball and who can happily tap it around all day but no-one who can put it in without fuss. Too many 8s and 10s and no 9s.

To be fair, it isn't just us. Look at England. More creative midfielders than you can dream about playing, totally at home stroking the ball about, but if Kane were injured...

• Like 2

Heard a bit about Ash Phillips but he has to be seen to be believed! Turned 16 in June and he’s an absolute mammoth. Only a scholar but already got an England call up at U17’s level and has basically skipped the U18’s at Rovers altogether!

6ft 3” and still growing, physical, able on the ball. Wow. Definitely one to watch!

9 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Heard a bit about Ash Phillips but he has to be seen to be believed! Turned 16 in June and he’s an absolute mammoth. Only a scholar but already got an England call up at U17’s level and has basically skipped the U18’s at Rovers altogether!

6ft 3” and still growing, physical, able on the ball. Wow. Definitely one to watch!

Great to hear. Know anything about his background Joe? I.e. has he been at Rovers for a while, or was he another let go from United/Liverpool?

13 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Great to hear. Know anything about his background Joe? I.e. has he been at Rovers for a while, or was he another let go from United/Liverpool?

Struggling on that front. I've ruled out former Man City as I've just spoken to someone in the know on the youth set up there. He's a Welsh lad who's just switched his allegiance to English with the call up to U17's level. I don't know yet if he's fully "ours" or came as a scholar from elsewhere but one things for certain, this lad is going right to the very top!

40 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Struggling on that front. I've ruled out former Man City as I've just spoken to someone in the know on the youth set up there. He's a Welsh lad who's just switched his allegiance to English with the call up to U17's level. I don't know yet if he's fully "ours" or came as a scholar from elsewhere but one things for certain, this lad is going right to the very top!

I mean, nothing is certain when it comes to 16 year old footballers, but it's great to hear that he looks really promising. Is he a centre half? Was he wearing number 4? As somebody mentioned our number 4 being a beast on FB.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I mean, nothing is certain when it comes to 16 year old footballers, but it's great to hear that he looks really promising. Is he a centre half? Was he wearing number 4? As somebody mentioned our number 4 being a beast on FB.

Yes #4. Played in the middle of a 5. Obviously nothing is truly certain, just a figure of speech, but he's a diamond.

9 hours ago, JoeH said:

I saw him in the Lancashire Senior Cup final a few weeks ago and coincidentally his family were sat behind me. His mum told me he was off with the Welsh under 17's a couple of days later as he is eligible for Wales and England and had to decide soon what his intention was. She did say his dad wanted him to play for Wales and his mum had a Manchester accent which probably adds to his dilemma.

I agree that he looks like a top player in the making and significantly Stuart Harvey spoke to him at length in the Technical Area when he came off last night. He seemed bigger last night than when I saw him play a few weeks ago 😁😁.

16 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Stuart Harvey, as in the guy who went to Sunderland? How is it possible that he was even in the technical area???

He probably means Mike Sheron

Nice to hear we’ve stepped again in the u23s, especially with losing Barr and many being in the first team

18 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I meant Stuart Jones who is the Academy Director.

Phew!

It was only the first time I saw Phillips last night. I'm no expert, but if he's as good as people think he is and he develops quickly, he'll soon give the other CBs a run for their money.

I was quite impressed with Annesley last night also.

42 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Phew!

It was only the first time I saw Phillips last night. I'm no expert, but if he's as good as people think he is and he develops quickly, he'll soon give the other CBs a run for their money.

I thought there were several strong performances last night in an enjoyable watch. As somebody said earlier both sides missed plenty of chances but in the bigger picture we have some real promise coming through. Phillips is only 16 and he was probably the biggest player on the pitch. His touch, pace and passing were really good and I'd be surprised if he isn't joining the first team training sessions this season. If he continues his progress I hope the club really don't look to sell him for a comparatively meagre amount or that some greedy agent doesn't ruin him.

34 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I thought there were several strong performances last night in an enjoyable watch. As somebody said earlier both sides missed plenty of chances but in the bigger picture we have some real promise coming through. Phillips is only 16 and he was probably the biggest player on the pitch. His touch, pace and passing were really good and I'd be surprised if he isn't joining the first team training sessions this season. If he continues his progress I hope the club really don't look to sell him for a comparatively meagre amount or that some greedy agent doesn't ruin him.

Hopefully the boy who went to Leicester can act as an example not to follow, in that respect. Would have surely got decent game time for Rovers by now had he stayed with us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Phew!

If Philips is that good how much of him will we actually see? I was excited about Phil Jones but he was off before his career had really started. 

36 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Hopefully the boy who went to Leicester can act as an example not to follow, in that respect. Would have surely got decent game time for Rovers by now had he stayed with us. 

CW has hardly set the world alight. We've faced him in the PL2 several times and he's not looked above what we have here. Currently on loan in League Two I think? Not the biggest loss in the world I don't think considering we got some money for him. Hope the lad does well of course.