BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

56 minutes ago, JoeH said:

CW has hardly set the world alight. We've faced him in the PL2 several times and he's not looked above what we have here. Currently on loan in League Two I think? Not the biggest loss in the world I don't think considering we got some money for him. Hope the lad does well of course.

Had to google him, but you're right, just gone to Cheltenham for a second spell, it seems. 21 now, too. Apparently did well for them last year, so would've been interesting to see how he would have progressed at Rovers over the last few years.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

If Philips is that good how much of him will we actually see? I was excited about Phil Jones but he was off before his career had really started. 

Was just thinking that myself. Might be poached before even making the seniors.

3 hours ago, 47er said:

If Philips is that good how much of him will we actually see? I was excited about Phil Jones but he was off before his career had really started. 

One could argue that his career still hasn't started.

Some good players coming through the academy over the past few years but it's been a while since we've produced a real top PL level player. Will definitely watch some U23 matches on RoverTV going forward. Last year Pike caught my eye, but that's about it.

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Whatever happened to Brennan? 

Leeds et al were sniffing around him last year - he went on loan to Fylde and disappeared. 

He was great for the U18, signed a new contract when big clubs were sniffing, and also made is debut. But he hasn't really kicked on since. While a lot of that U18 batch has really taken to U23 level like Cirino, Pike, Burns, Garrett, Whiltehall, it seems that he has struggled more. 

Going to be 20 this year and I'm not sure he going to make it here. Is getting to an age where he needs to prove himself either at U23 level or on loan. This will probably the season for him to do it. If McBride or Vale goes on loan (both have outgrown U23), he might get a chance to do it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, arbitro said:

I thought there were several strong performances last night in an enjoyable watch. As somebody said earlier both sides missed plenty of chances but in the bigger picture we have some real promise coming through. Phillips is only 16 and he was probably the biggest player on the pitch. His touch, pace and passing were really good and I'd be surprised if he isn't joining the first team training sessions this season. If he continues his progress I hope the club really don't look to sell him for a comparatively meagre amount or that some greedy agent doesn't ruin him.

Not only he is 16, he just turned 16 at the end of June! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Cerino ha looked good from albeit the limited action Iv watched, for those that attend regularly can we save a few bucks by not needing a backup to Pickering?

No. We need another left-back, Cerino, at the moment, is nowhere near good enough for the championship.

• Like 2

On 16/08/2021 at 21:50, JoeH said:

Heard a bit about Ash Phillips but he has to be seen to be believed! Turned 16 in June and he’s an absolute mammoth. Only a scholar but already got an England call up at U17’s level and has basically skipped the U18’s at Rovers altogether!

6ft 3” and still growing, physical, able on the ball. Wow. Definitely one to watch!

Hopefully get him tied down long term then before he's another one gone on the cheap 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lucimo said:

Hopefully get him tied down long term then before he's another one gone on the cheap 

Don't think they can sign pro terms until they're 17. Although I assume you can get a pre-contract agreement in place.

10 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Don't think they can sign pro terms until they're 17. Although I assume you can get a pre-contract agreement in place.

Maybe you're right I don't know how it works. I've not seen the lad but those who have are speaking highly of him. Would be nice if there were some guarantees for us so the Premier league vultures don't steal our talent. 

28 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

Maybe you're right I don't know how it works. I've not seen the lad but those who have are speaking highly of him. Would be nice if there were some guarantees for us so the Premier league vultures don't steal our talent. 

Tbf I'm going off Football Manager here lol, but their attention to detail on the systemic things is generally spot on. We would still be due some compensation if he moved before pro terms, but it would be small potatoes compared to what you'd normally hope to get from a Prem side. I think that's what happened with Callum Wilson (if I'm remembering the name right) when Leicester swooped in. We got something like 500k or 1 million I think.

42 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Tbf I'm going off Football Manager here lol, but their attention to detail on the systemic things is generally spot on. We would still be due some compensation if he moved before pro terms, but it would be small potatoes compared to what you'd normally hope to get from a Prem side. I think that's what happened with Callum Wilson (if I'm remembering the name right) when Leicester swooped in. We got something like 500k or 1 million I think.

Yep that's what worried me. Mind you Callum Wright(I believe it's that, Wilson is at Newcastle) hasn't really kicked on. Not as yet anyway. 

• Like 1

On 16/08/2021 at 21:50, JoeH said:

Heard a bit about Ash Phillips but he has to be seen to be believed! Turned 16 in June and he’s an absolute mammoth. Only a scholar but already got an England call up at U17’s level and has basically skipped the U18’s at Rovers altogether!

6ft 3” and still growing, physical, able on the ball. Wow. Definitely one to watch!

Can he jump high, though.

9 hours ago, JohnGo said:

He looked in total control on Monday, Everton didn’t get a sniff in the air.

Well apart from the two corners they scored from. And a couple of chances from corners in the first half. Notice a theme ?

Edited by rigger

7 hours ago, rigger said:

Well apart from the two corners they scored from. And a couple of chances from corners in the first half. Notice a theme ?

Did you go to the game. I did and yes agree with your statement, but beg to differ. He was not at fault for the goals, from my recollection it was the other young centre half that should have cut out the crosses. 

A goal for Ash Phillips who I refuse to stop raving about. Thunderb*stard from Pike who's had a few of those efforts hit the bar in his career so far in the 18's and 23's. Unfortunate to lose but results not the big sticking point here.

15 hours ago, JohnGo said:

Did you go to the game. I did and yes agree with your statement, but beg to differ. He was not at fault for the goals, from my recollection it was the other young centre half that should have cut out the crosses. 

Yes I did go. I never said Phillips was at fault for their goals.  The statement I disagreed with was, that everton won nothing in the air. 

Edited by rigger

11 minutes ago, rigger said:

Yes I did go. I never said Phillips was at fault for their goals.  The statement I disagreed with was, that everton won nothing in the air. 

As the discussion was about Phillips it would have been beneficial if you’d have said that.

A close friend was at last nights game and eulogised about Rovers saying we were the better team until the last knockings when some indiscipline kicked in. No Rovers fans were officially allowed in but he assumed that a group who celebrated the goals were players families.