BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brad Friedel to retire

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theres few players you can class as real legends, to me Brad is the best keeper we have ever had, and IMO second only to Schmeichel in the PL all time list.

I know he had aspirations of being a manager at one point, would be nice to see the big man back in that capacity in the future.

Without a doubt Rovers greatest Goalkeeper.

He used to win us 10 to 15 points a season.

Many astonishing games.

lucky enough to see the aforementioned Arsenal game and the game he scored in, at Charlton.

A true colossus and legend in the blue and white.

• Backroom

Brad should be proud of what he's achieved.

I've seen Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Suarez, Henry, Shearer and a plethora of football superstars play live in their prime.

None of them toppedal Brad's performances for us. MOTM in the Worthington Cup Final too.

A true hero and a fantastic professional.

If he'd have played at any of the top 4 clubs he'd have been lauded by the press. I've never had more confidence in a keeper to come and claim a cross in the 94th minute when you're 1-0 up against Man Utd.

BRAD'S!!!!!!!!!!!

Bit cruel this BUT how odd.... a thread on the great man, Brad Friedel and no comment as yet from Revidge Blue! C'mon Simon.... Hold your hand up! You'll feel better when you do. :rolleyes::P

Only read the first page or two of this ELEVEN year old link http://www.brfcc.com/mb/index.php/topic/13034-friedel/

but I also notice there has been no comments either from USABlue, Gavlar Somerset Rover, allroverasia, and Exiled in Toronto. What on earth were they thinking? A salutory lesson to all to take notice of nowt on here.

Still 'football is all about opinions' as the saying goes. ^_^

Easily the best keeper to play for us on my lifetimeand imo in the top 5 keepers of the prem leagues history and he was also great for his country, but not only that he was also a loyal player that played a massive part in our succeses during that 10year period.

There can't be many player left still playing from the promotion & cup winning Souness era, is duff still playing?

Duff has just been released by his Melbourne club.

Agree with sentiments about Friedel - best I've seen and we've had some pretty good keepers at the club over the years.

Bit cruel this BUT how odd.... a thread on the great man, Brad Friedel and no comment as yet from Revidge Blue! C'mon Simon.... Hold your hand up! You'll feel better when you do. :rolleyes::P

Only read the first page or two of this ELEVEN year old link http://www.brfcc.com/mb/index.php/topic/13034-friedel/

but I also notice there has been no comments either from USABlue, Gavlar Somerset Rover, allroverasia, and Exiled in Toronto. What on earth were they thinking? A salutory lesson to all to take notice of nowt on here.

Wow, you really must have a lot of spare time on your hands.

Maybe somebody can suggest a new hobby for theno to try?

A legend and best rovers keeper ever.

Seemed a top guy too, and gave us so many memories.

My best was him being in a one on one with Ferdinand (I think) in the League Cup final and thinking "crap they're going to score". Somehow Brad gets the ball off him.

Shame he didn't come back to rovers for a year or two (could we afford him, I wonder if we could sort out some sort of deal). Would certainly improve the keeping position. Regardless a true rovers legend who'll be missed from the game.

Brad is simply the best keeper I have had the pleasure of seeing wearing the Rovers colours.

Roger Jones was a great.

Paul Bradshaw was on his way to being a great but somehow money got the better of him and he ruined what could have been a great career by leaving for Wolves.

Terry Gennoe was a fantastic keeper for Rovers.

John Filan and Tim Flowers were great keepers.

Shay Given COULD and SHOULD have been a Rovers legend but instead we sold him instead of Flowers.

Jim Arnold had his senior moments in Rovers shirts, very often not appreciated by some at Ewood.

Brad simply tops the lot by miles.

Friedel is by far the best GK I have ever seen at Rovers, and for a time was my favorite Rovers player following Shearer. It is highly unlikely we would have gotten promoted back to the Premiership without him, won the League Cup, or stayed in the Premiership in a few seasons when it was touch-and-go. Clearly, he did so much for the club.

However.

There is no logic that can explain to me how it is ok to promise, in words, than you will not leave the club, and then do exactly that - for money. When you break your word to thousands of fans - that just does not sit right with me. It takes a lifetime to build a legacy at a club, but only a moment to shoot it to pieces. It's obvious footballers these days don't have much loyalty - but at least don't lie about it and say that you do. That was my take then, and that is my take now.

Friedel is by far the best GK I have ever seen at Rovers, and for a time was my favorite Rovers player following Shearer. It is highly unlikely we would have gotten promoted back to the Premiership without him, won the League Cup, or stayed in the Premiership in a few seasons when it was touch-and-go. Clearly, he did so much for the club.

However.

There is no logic that can explain to me how it is ok to promise, in words, than you will not leave the club, and then do exactly that - for money. When you break your word to thousands of fans - that just does not sit right with me. It takes a lifetime to build a legacy at a club, but only a moment to shoot it to pieces. It's obvious footballers these days don't have much loyalty - but at least don't lie about it and say that you do. That was my take then, and that is my take now.

He didn't leave for money - he left because of Ince.

As an explanation - at Rovers he never had an agent, he and John Williams used to sit down and agree terms for the next season over a cup of tea. he wanted to play football and turned more money down from clubs he thought wanted him as a back up whilst at Rovers.

The sad fact is we let a club legend go, and spent more money on a replacement who was worse for the sake of a couple of months of Ince. Friedel could play till he's fifty and be head and shoulders above our current crop.

However.

It was debatable that he couldn't play for Ince due to an issue when they played for Liverpool. However Brad effectively was bankrupted by the time of the financial crash when his investments in the US and in particular his Football academy in the US failed. (Villa's owner Randy Lerner was also involved I believe) BUT when your wealth is wiped out nearing the end of your career then earning as much money as possible in the remaining years becomes all important. No one should hold that against him.

Oh dear, I was one of those who wasn't happy at the signing of Freidel. We had a perfectly good keeper in Filan and I couldn't fathom what Souness was up to.

I even had an apoplectic rant when John Curtis dribbled a back pass beyond Big Brad on his debut even though it wasn't his fault! (To be fair, I did have a few on board that day)

He was an amazing keeper, a privilege to have watched him.

what a legend

Friedel:

"I'm 44-years-old tomorrow (Monday) and you can't complain about a career like that. I've had a fond affection with all the fans.

"Blackburn was probably the longest - it was an incredible club."

"I'll also love to go back to Liverpool, Villa and Blackburn at some stage as the years go by because I really did have a great time at each of those clubs."

source

http://www.football365.com/premier-league/9854333/-?

what a legend

Friedel:

"I'm 44-years-old tomorrow (Monday) and you can't complain about a career like that. I've had a fond affection with all the fans.

"Blackburn was probably the longest - it was an incredible club."

"I'll also love to go back to Liverpool, Villa and Blackburn at some stage as the years go by because I really did have a great time at each of those clubs."

source

http://www.football365.com/premier-league/9854333/-?

:rock:

Archived