BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] More Respect And Awareness Needed When Posting

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the age thing discussed on the first page, I disagree. I love it when the older guys on here talk about the history of my favourite club in the world. It reminds me of the conversations I have with my dad, talking about how Phil Jones' debut reminded him of Duncan Edwards, and tales of George Best continuing a mazy dribble after his boot fell off. An age split is daft imo.

Re: posting with respect, it's why I requested my name be on full view. Real self-moderation. It definitely makes a difference even just knowing people's real names.

It's why I'd like to see the social aspect of the mb return and why I was trying to rouse interest in a golf day on ICBINF.

And in turn I like to converse with the 20's and 30's on here. They have a different slant on the game to my, probably old fashioned, one. However here I go again. Comparing Phil Jones to Duncan Edwards is like comparing Rudy Gestede to Alan Shearer. They have talent but they don't come close to Edwards and Shearer.

Looks like the golf day is a none starter Mike. Little or no interest shown. I'd like a get together though but after a match in the Blues Bar never seems to work.

• Moderation Lead

And in turn I like to converse with the 20's and 30's on here. They have a different slant on the game to my, probably old fashioned, one. However here I go again. Comparing Phil Jones to Duncan Edwards is like comparing Rudy Gestede to Alan Shearer. They have talent but they don't come close to Edwards and Shearer.

Looks like the golf day is a none starter Mike. Little or no interest shown. I'd like a get together though but after a match in the Blues Bar never seems to work.

I still maintain this would be a cracking idea to put names to faces.

• Backroom

Cracking idea re: blues bar, but it's getting ppl to agree. Perhaps 1st game of the season on the fanzone or something?

NAMETAGS FTW :P

I think the Edwards comparison stems purely from the 3 tackles and marauding run in the space of 10 seconds :P certainly it was the best debut I've seen since Bert and Amo vs Wolves.

There's nothing really stopping people from changing their usernames to their real names and adding a profile picture of themselves if they want to.

Making it compulsory would only mean the majority of casual posters or people that have good reason for keeping their real identity quiet would stop visiting(which really would be the final nail in the sites coffin i imagine and it would also likely just make the place cliqueyer than ever.

• Backroom

There's nothing stopping people from changong there usernames to therecreal names and adding a profile picture of themselves if they want to.

Making it compulsory would only mean the majority of casual posters or people that have good reason for keeping their real identity quiet would stop visiting)which really would be the final nail in the sites coffin)

For the sake of civility, that may be a good thing. No different to Facebook in terms of ensuring we're all real, and subject to malicious communication laws when acting like idiots.

We'll have to agree to disagree then,

I personally wouldn't want some idiot of here(or anywhere else) spotting me and confronting me in public and trying to be a smart arse, i have no time for gobs.... Away from here so that could get messy if they didnt have the sense to back off when asked(especially if they have a few brews inside them) and im sure that others on here may feel the same(i deffo wouldnt want to get on the chadsters wrong side in public :) )

Ive given my real name on here in the past and enough personal stuff about myself so that i could be easily recognised on here by people that know me in person.

Also with Facebook, twitter, ect.. You have a fair amount of control over who can and cannot see what you post and how much they can see.

• Backroom

We'll have to agree to disagree then,

I personally wouldn't want some idiot of here(or anywhere else) spotting me and confronting me in public and trying to be a smart arse, i have no time for gobs.... Away from here so that could get messy if they didnt have the sense to back off when asked(especially if they have a few brews inside them) and im sure that others on here may feel the same(i deffo wouldnt want to get on the chadsters wrong side in public :) )

Ive given my real name on here in the past and enough personal stuff about myself so that i could be easily recognised on here by people that know me in person.

Also with Facebook, twitter, ect.. You have a fair amount of control over who can and cannot see what you post and how much they can see.

The idea with fb is that you're friends with those who can see what you put. That's what it should be like on here (as it seemingly was during the Hughes era).

If you're worried about 'confrontation' just don't give people any reason to.

Personally, I feel that knowing a name and face immediately creates a mutual respect for any opinion given (whether agreed or not).

Before meeting Abbey and Tom (and adding on fb), I'll be honest, I didn't care much for what they put on here. Since meeting them, I consider them friends and people I look out for at Ewood. Ditto the likes of Sav, modes, seggie, Buckshaw Rover, david brent, Stuart and many others. In fact there are a few I chat to through FB who's usernames I've forgotten entirely :P

Interesting points raised. It's also good to have this kind of thread in the main forum rather than ICBINF so that opinions can come from those who don't frequent that area (with it's different culture).

One thing about real names and civility. I used to be a big advocate but someone (no idea who) recentl added me to a Facebook group and even with real identities on there it's full of nasty comments.

A halfway house on this site that I've suggested before is real first names - even if they are fictional. It just makes for better manners in my view - in the main at least.

The idea with fb is that you're friends with those who can see what you put. That's what it should be like on here (as it seemingly was during the Hughes era).

Personally, I feel that knowing a name and face immediately creates a mutual respect for any opinion given (whether agreed or not).

Before meeting Abbey and Tom (and adding on fb), I'll be honest, I didn't care much for what they put on here. Since meeting them, I consider them friends and people I look out for at Ewood. Ditto the likes of Sav, modes, seggie, Buckshaw Rover, david brent, Stuart and many others. In fact there are a few I chat to through FB who's usernames I've forgotten entirely :P

Good post.

Especially the bit about FB 'friends' creating better understanding. That does add to the community feel on here ironically.

I've being dying to add Chaddy as a friend on FB but I doubt he'd have me! Since I've seen that he's friends of friends it makes it more 'real'. I still don't agree with his opinion on lots of stuff - particularly his contradictory posts but I do think I can relate to him better. Partly because I can see that he isn't a kid as I had previously, and erroneously thought. Probably sounds a bit stalker-ish that but hopefully it makes a point.

Cracking idea re: blues bar, but it's getting ppl to agree. Perhaps 1st game of the season on the fanzone or something?

NAMETAGS FTW :P

I think the Edwards comparison stems purely from the 3 tackles and marauding run in the space of 10 seconds :P certainly it was the best debut I've seen since Bert and Amo vs Wolves.

We've tried it several times and first it's so busy that it is really hard to meet one another. I have done this and met Tris and Dawn, Bob, Glenn and JPW. It's a start but hardly a big get together. We need something else to get people to attend and after a match most people just want to get home for their tea. We need more ideas.

Well im not like you and we all want different things out of this.

I just want the latest rovers gossip from the football side and mostly lighthearted chat about things im interested in on the non-football, im not looking for real life buddies on here(but at the same time i not looking for enemy's either)

but it just seems the non footballing side is just dominated by posters that want to take everything to seriously and use the place just to air their bigotries and arrogance(under the guise of"debate")

I just want the latest rovers gossip from the football side and mostly lighthearted chat about things im interested in on the non-football, im not looking for real life buddies on here(but at the same time i not looking for enemy's either)

but it just seems the non footballing side is just dominated by posters that want to take everything to seriously and use the place just to air their bigotries and arrogance(under the guise of"debate")

How long have you been posting on here, David (in whatever guise)? I've found I'm more into the community side of it with ever year that passes.

• Backroom

It's ok I still don't care what you and abbey have to say :P

Funnily enough it's true you are always more tolerable of the people you have met and can put a face to, rather than just being a faceless opinion posters become real people with lives outside the messageboard.

How long have you been posting on here, David (in whatever guise)? I've found I'm more into the community side of it with ever year that passes.

about 5 years, I was completely unaware of this website until a workmate started bangin on about 'nickos's 11 o'clockers' (So my presence here is another thing you can blame nicko for :D )

Can I just add that sending abusive PM's to people isn't the way to go if you want light hearted chat. You need to accept people might have bigoted views and arrogance, you have to accept it not abuse people.

Just my opinion by the way.

"Abusive pms" give it a rest, the only time ive sent pms is when I've been fed up with certain idiots personally insulting me in threads for no good reason, so instead of dragging the threads further down hill ive let them know exactly what i think of them via pm instead.(and ive only had to do this with 3/4 posters in all the time ive been on this site.

And no i won't accept constantly having to read the opinions of nasty arrogant old biggots,why should I, especially when they high jack every thread they can with there trash, im not going to pretend to respect people/online personas that dont warrant my respect, ill try and ignore them up tp a point but thats it.

"Abusive pms" give it a rest, the only time ive sent ms is when ove been fed up with certain idiots insulting me in threads, so instead of dragging the threads further down hill ive let them know exactly what i think of them via pm instead.(and ive only had to do this with 3/4 posters in all the time ive been on this site.

So stop with the manipultive bs and calling me a keyboard warrior, because trust me im far from it.

I wasnt going to say anything but I thought it was an absolute joke you of all people starting this thread and i new that youd never be able to keep it up. "Just my opinion by the way"!

You need to grow up a bit David, you actually need banning permanently, no hiding behind different names or IP proxies, just banning because you're incapable of having a grown up debate.

Sadly a distinct lack of decisive moderation means posters like David, who are only ever 1 post away from meltdown, are not dealt with and continue to abuse fellow posters by PM if the public forum doesn't allow it.

How can we have messageboard harmony with PM abuse going on in the background?

I've just gone and destroyed my own thread, but it needs saying.

Archived