BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Relegation Thread

Big Sam is a professional football manager who decided to use that strategy. Do I think;

A) my recollections of the havoc it caused in the box must be imagined and BS had no idea what he was doing.

Or

B) I remember it perfectly and some stay away fan who's still probably convinced sacking Sam was a good idea knows sod all?

Big Sam is a professional football manager who decided to use that strategy. Do I think;

1) my recollections of the havoc it hardly caused in the box must be imagined and BS kept doing it because it worked once

Or

2) I remember it perfectly and fans who quickly resort to insults and arrogance rather than discuss it like adults were convinced like Sam that it was a good idea to squander possession cheaply with little reward?

​It was a bit like MGP's insistence on trying to score from corners when he didn't have the angle. Whereas the same strategy from free kicks was deadly.

Either way talk to the hand :D

Edited by Rover_Shaun

Showing your naïveté and lack of experience of football here Shaun.

The reason why Big Sam is probably one the best English managers of recent time is because the methods he uses are effective, not pointless.

How many trophies has he won ? The best win trophies .
  • Like 1

That's what it's all about. Some would like to think it's hovering around in mid to low table. Ask an Arsenal fan in 40 years what they have the fondest memories of. The trophies or the time they came 4th in 2012? Obviously only a hand full of clubs can win something and at the time of Sam was a good appointment in these days where cash is more important than the sport.

My fondest memories are Full Members Cup, Play off win, League title, Promotion, League cup and not finishing 7th in 1996. Obviously the Sam era will be looked at with twisted rose tinted glasses because "those that will still not be protested against" ballsed it all up. But at the time prior to the Indian storm it was akin to just existing and not living. He was a justifiable means to an end but you can't blame fans for the folly of dreams. (bloody stupid damn venkys) Only Notts County and Bolton haven't sack him, he's that good

Even Schteeve McClaren, the wally with the brolly has a trophy to his name. Who did he beat in the final pray tell? ;)

Anyway we have digressed. So lets return to discussing possible Relegation and the common opinion that Spurrs long throws are a waste of time ;)

Edited by Rover_Shaun

Yes you are correct, Steve Davis of Crewe made history as the most successful English manager of recent times then... JPT?

Realistically though Abigail, if Big Sam had managed a big club for a long time, he'd have won at least 1 cup IMO. Came pretty close in 2004 at notlob and if you think he did sod all in his last two jobs... Well then it's pointless discussing anything with you.

Is it this simple black and white debate again, a striker scores goals or he's @#/?, a manager wins trophies or his @#/? etc etc etc

​It was a bit like MGP's insistence on trying to score from corners when he didn't have the angle. Whereas the same strategy from free kicks was deadly.

Either way talk to the hand :D

Crazy.

See, as a season ticket holder at the time I seem to remember Pedersen having a cracking assist rate from set pieces and corner...

Sorry if I'm remembering things a bit too fondly, I'd take Big Sam and where we where a million times over recent times.

Even Schteeve McClaren, the wally with the brolly has a trophy to his name. Who did he beat in the final pray tell? ;)

Anyway we have digressed. So lets return to Relegation and the common opinion that Spurrs long throws are a waste of time ;)

Steve Mclaren. The main who's proved that having a good agent is better than tactics. Irony that you'd select him as an example- what was his most recent attempt? Failed promotion with arguably the best team in the division.

Oh and Spurr - I'd use it because it's another chance to get the pressure on in the box. Whether it's useful or not depends more on other teams preparing for it and our prowess with it.

I would like to see us mix it up if I'm honest. When teams expect the long throw, it's great to throw a short one now and then.

Edited by Jbizzle

Yes you are correct, Steve Davis of Crewe made history as the most successful English manager of recent times then... JPT?

Realistically though Abigail, if Big Sam had managed a big club for a long time, he'd have won at least 1 cup IMO. Came pretty close in 2004 at notlob and if you think he did sod all in his last two jobs... Well then it's pointless discussing anything with you.

Is it this simple black and white debate again, a striker scores goals or he's @#/?, a manager wins trophies or his @#/? etc etc etc

Who are you calling Abigail ? Stop flaming ( I have been warned for that yesterday ...is Phil t consistent) .

Nearly won ? Haha that's out of bowyer phrase book . Nearly winning is still A LOSER.

I nearly won £350 quid but Utd er LOST .

It's black and white ...3 managers are winners come May the rest are losers and also rans

Would you take souness or Sam?

Edited by ABBEY

Who are you calling Abigail ? Stop flaming ( I have been warned for that yesterday ...is Phil t consistent) .

Nearly won ? Haha that's out of bowyer phrase book . Nearly winning is still A LOSER.

I nearly won £350 quid but Utd er LOST .

It's black and white ...3 managers are winners come May the rest are losers and also rans

Would you take sourness or Sam?

If you didn't like being called Abigail, don't refer to me as anything other than my username pet.

Good/ bad, Black/white - there is an in between a you know.

Edited by Jbizzle

See, as a season ticket holder at the time I seem to remember Pedersen having a cracking assist rate from set pieces and corner...

Sorry if I'm remembering things a bit too fondly, I'd take Big Sam and where we where a million times over recent times.

No idea why you needed to add the 'season ticket holder at the time' part weren't we all? It adds as much to the debate as calling Abbey Abigail.

I said his free kicks were deadly. Sadly his corners (because he kept trying to score) and long throws were good keeper catching practice.

And we'd all take Sam over the current malaise with the benefit of hindsight.

Edited by Rover_Shaun

No idea why you needed to add the 'season ticket holder at the time' weren't we all? It adds as much to the debate as calling Abbey Abigail.

I said his free kicks were deadly. Sadly his corners and throws were good keeper catching practice.

Shauny wauny! If I had a quid for every time Abs has missed out the B in my username, I'd be able to pay off the debt and get Yakubu back for a season on a free.

In terms of the ST. It's important to validate views that I saw what I'm saying. See, I have that mentality, don't like discussing, arguing, praising or moaning about stuff I haven't seen.

Shauny wauny! If I had a quid for every time Abs has missed out the B in my username, I'd be able to pay off the debt and get Yakubu back for a season on a free.

In terms of the ST. It's important to validate views that I saw what I'm saying. See, I have that mentality, don't like discussing, arguing, praising or moaning about stuff I haven't seen.

I'd argue everyone who visits here from all 4 corners of the globe has seen it. You don't need to see it repeated ad-finitum to garner a view on it .I tend not to mention anything prior to 1983 but saying that adds nothing to the debate.

Think it's a bit of both. I can imagine a decent manager doing better with a "relegation favourite" and punching above their weight - but I hardly think they'd be winning the title.

Basically The Champions league has ruined everything - rewarding constant failure (i.e. - Arsene Wenger). As posted earlier I'm pretty sure that fans have better memories of the cup win rather than 'finishing 4th'.

No idea why you needed to add the 'season ticket holder at the time' part weren't we all? It adds as much to the debate as calling Abbey Abigail.

I said his free kicks were deadly. Sadly his corners (because he kept trying to score) and long throws were good keeper catching practice.

Causing trouble about Allardyce again? ;)

It's fair to say you weren't his biggest fan. And Jbizzle is right. To this day you seemingly don't understand the long throws heaped physical and physcological pressure on opponents, created further opportunities from set plays, maintained field position, allowed us to box in the opposition, and perhaps most importantly with modern day brain dead footballers, was easy for them to understand and follow and implement. Everyone hated playing us. We need that back one day but it won't be under 1-0 down Gaz.

Would you have fancied stopping Samba every time it went out for a throw? I bet the opposition centre halves cursed everytime it was kicked out. I bet opposition managers addressed it when preparing against us and even discussed it pre-match. Your bias against Allardyce always limited your ability when discussing his approach.

Edited by onlyonejackwalker

I can definitely recall conceding a lot of goals from counter-attacks after sending Samba and Nelsen forward for every set-piece.

But you never saw us score from set pieces under Allardyce?

Can't have it both ways.

I can definitely recall conceding a lot of goals from counter-attacks after sending Samba and Nelsen forward for every set-piece.

He had the players seriously fit though. The sheer number of times they came forwards per match was unreal. I do remember discussing at the time though that later in games they were absolutely shattered and it caused us one or two probs.

Would you take souness or Sam?

Sam! His sides always got better season by season, Souness' got worse. He was a short-term proposition was Souness.

Who needed hindsight for that one?

• Like 1

Who needed hindsight for that one?

Everyone. I'm in a minority but all it needed was a proper appointment and modest investment. Sadly we had no nowt buffoons in charge directed by crooks.

All the *there's nobody but sam who could have kept us going* is frankly ridiculous, as West Ham will show. I'm still of the opinion that we were 2/3 seasons off going down anyway due to lack of investment. Sam would have bailed to save his skin under the spurious retirement excuse he was already hatching at the time.

Anyway it's old and boring and it's been done to death. Back to discussing being relegated again because the right idea was executed by the wrong people :(

Edited by Rover_Shaun

Shane Duffy has an epiphany and totally nails how to do well in this league. Nodody has ever thought of this before...

"We just need to get on a good run. Four or five wins in this league and you never know where you can be."

What can possibly stop us now?

Edited by Rover_Shaun