BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] European Championship France 2016

Well that was an exciting night listening on the radio to the penultimate qualifiers. Scotland out (should have played Jordan, Gordon) Republic of Ireland faced with a knockout with Poland next week to decide on automatic qualification and Northern Ireland top of their group (well done from an Englishman !)

England and Wales already through of course so all leads up to a British invasion of France next year.

I am definately looking forward to it.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I saw flicking around.

Evans looked busy for Northern Ireland, super pass in the lead up to the first goal. The find of the night for me was Josh Magennis. Energetic striker, quick, strong in the air, was a handful all game, currently at Kilmarnock, but could definitely do a job at Championship level.

Hanley did ok for the most part against Lewandowski, one challenge in particular in the second half was straight out of the Bobby Moore textbook. He did however lend an arm for the Poland equaliser. Rhodes was never going to feature, Griffiths, Dorrans, Martin all ahead of him in the pecking order.

Luck of the Irish? Battered for the most part, but great finish from Shane Long!

• Moderation Lead

Yeah, should be easy enough for Germany I'd imagine. No other real standout teams, Spain not what they used to be, but they still have some super players.

Germany aren't what they were last year given some of their big hitters are either retired or no longer the players they were.

I fancy an upset. Not quite on the scale of the Greeks, mind.

Don't judge their players on indifferent club form or in qualifiers, as when it comes to their national team at tournaments the Germans always deliver..

On a positive note, I see no reason that england couldn't be opponents in the final..

100% record is pretty impressive. Roy deserves some respect for that (one game left obvs). Stattos - has any England manager achieved that?I guess the average friendly results has undercut that somewhat, but a great effort nonetheless.

Lets see how they get on against a decent team. I don't think it's helpful at all to have a walk-over of a group, you don't learn enough about the defensive aspects of your team, or the character of the players.

Personally not looking forward to Euro 2016 at all. 24 teams, how low can they put the bar? You need the finals to be top quality, this is going to be all about mediocrity. Was far better when there were 8 teams, 16 was ok but 24 is ridiculous. It's like the rugby thing where they have every team who play in the World Cup and most of the games are just meaningless bores. All for TV but rubbish for the people who want to watch it.

I like big tournaments to be honest. Small nations like wales and NI are normally locked out, and this will give them a chance, and there will be upsets. It won't be a procession of the big teams through, theyll be a surprise or two, there always is.

Don't really see the downside to a 24 team tournament, its just one extra knockout round. What's the big deal?

When is the draw for the groups?

!5th December.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCkQFjACahUKEwiMs4G7vLrIAhWFsxQKHRKVBr4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uefa.com%2Fuefaeuro-finals%2Fdraws%2Fround%3D2000448%2Findex.html&usg=AFQjCNEy5_MBJQEeG56772Ez6xlgX3aIfA&sig2=HwoAzHMIYorO3YIrQ1vx_A

Especially with third placed teams getting out of the group phase too, if England can't get to the knock out stages with that then they really are @#/?

Not all 3rd place teams qualify, only the best 4 (from 6)

England in - 100%

I know we are not as good as Spain and Germany, but our striker setup is excellent - Rooney, Sturridge, Walcott, Sterling, Kane, Welbeck (doubt vardy and Ings will stand test of time).

Probably best set of England strikers since I've followed football (from 1990). Only one maybe better was when Shearer, Owen and Sheringhams were all on top (98-2000). Not the depth we have now though. And the current strikers and attacking mids are all technically very good and pacy, of a standard much closer to top European teams.

Midfield and defence is a bit of a mess though. Only really Henderson and Cahill are certain starters and neither of them are top quality. Looks unlikely to me we will get the best XI sorted in time for the tournament. This is a massive problem as they need to learn the system and patterns of play (we've seen that with Rovers this season).

Woy has been unlucky with injuries, particularly Wilshire and Delph who he was building the system around.

but our striker setup is excellent - Rooney, Sturridge, Walcott, Sterling, Kane, Welbeck (doubt vardy and Ings will stand test of time).

Probably best set of England strikers since I've followed football (from 1990).

Shearer, Cole, Sheringham, Sutton, Ferdinand, Fowler, Ian Wright were all prolific in the mid 90's and some of them didn't get many caps at all - most of that lot would be first choice striker today pretty comfortably. Couldn't see the likes of Walcott or Welbeck (Rooney too looking at him at the moment) doing it when it matters in the knockouts of a major tournament.

For me there's no comparison between the current lot and those named above, although admittedly there are hardly any world class strikers around anymore in football in general compared to the huge amount in the 90's and early 00's.

Caps are given out like confetti these days, Johnjo Shelvey England class?? and let's face it we're not very good and he's not good enough to clean the boots.

The national side is shadow of its former self, and has been for 15yrs+ now. Something needs to change, to many foreign imports because they're cheaper than average homegrown players.

Money rules, and until money stops running our game the national side will continue to suffer.

We'll get humiliated in France next year, as soon as we come up against a decent side we'll get stuffed. Roy will be sacked and repeat over and over again for the next 20yrs.

Poor do really.

Hmmm... I feel like people do look at the past with ridiculously rose tinted glasses... Remember England failed to even qualify for '94, while Cole, Wright and Fowler all had numerous chances for England and all of them struggled to make any impression. Les Ferdinand, while an effective premier league striker, was equivalent to a battering ram. People would be up in arms if he was selected today as not technically good enough. Sutton was good for us, but a fringe player for Chelsea and had success in the Scottish Premier League whose standard was dire.

Ps. Gav - regarding JonJo Shelvey. Do you remember Des Walker, Carlton Palmer, Nick Barmby, Nicky Butt, Nick Barmby, Steve Stone... Players of average pedigree have always played for every team. And Shelvey is actually worth his call up as he's had an excellent start to the season for Swansea. And has played pretty well for England. Not sure why you would single him out.

Shearer was a top prem striker but for me fell short at club European and international level(too slow for that level). Ruud gullit the only man to dare question his abilities. The old boys club media never would..

For me, Michael Owen was the only top international striker we've had in decades.. His injury problems was a loss to us all..

Playing for us and Toon Shearer never really got a chance to play much club football at European level so he just cannot be compared fairly at that level with others.

At full International level Shearer with 30 goals in 63 games just shades Owen's 40 in 89.

They were both very very good.

Gullit was a plank.

Shearer was only 'slow' post his injuries. In his time at Ewood he was quick.

Look at the difference in his play up to and including Euro 96 and then the more of a target man he became in his Newcastle days.

He may have been quicker, but never quick. Certainly not the pace required in Europe and international football IMO..

Playing for us and Toon Shearer never really got a chance to play much club football at European level so he just cannot be compared fairly at that level with others.

At full International level Shearer with 30 goals in 63 games just shades Owen's 40 in 89.

They were both very very good.

Gullit was a plank.

Hmm, let's compare gullits playing achievements to shearers.. No contest mate..

Archived