BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derby County @ Ewood Park, 21/10/15

Worryingly GB said after the Ipswich match that (in his view) some teams you can press against and some you can't. I have a bad feeling he'll be taking tonight as a 'can't' . The only way for us to beat these good sides is to meet them head on, they should have realised that by now.

Hmm. I hope not. We pressed high up against QPR, Fulham and Ipswich - all strong teams on paper at least - and played well as a result.

Anyway I don't see what other option we have unless Koita is fit. We don't have the pace to sit back and play on the break all game. Akpan and Olsson have the athleticism to play box to box, but no one else does. And no point playing the long ball if Lawrence and Rhodes are up top. It will come straight back 4 out of 5 times.

I really think we have to press high up. Let's see what Gaz does.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only prediction I can make is that Derby will score. In the corresponding game last season they footballed us to death and Chris Martin gave a lesson on how to play the lone striker role. I agree with many of the previous posts that we should press high up and pack midfield when they want to get their passing game going. I feel Tom Lawrence could play a pivotal role here. However I think Bowyer will revert to type and allow them time and room to pull us all over.

Hmm. I hope not. We pressed high up against QPR, Fulham and Ipswich - all strong teams on paper at least - and played well as a result.

Anyway I don't see what other option we have unless Koita is fit. We don't have the pace to sit back and play on the break all game. Akpan and Olsson have the athleticism to play box to box, but no one else does. And no point playing the long ball if Lawrence and Rhodes are up top. It will come straight back 4 out of 5 times.

I really think we have to press high up. Let's see what Gaz does.

Well we sat in the game v these lot last season and got mullered until the last ten mins after they had made subs to shut up shop. Did similar against Norwich etc hence our poor record v the top sides last season.

I just think we need to approach all the home games in the same manner as we did Ipswich, not gung ho but closing down across the park.

I think everyone is more than happy with our standard pressing 442 developed since the Fulham game. The issue is Henley is suspended and people are worried about Marshall at right back, quite legitimately in my view, and looking how to compensate for it.

I guess it comes down to what's happened on the training ground. If Rovers have practiced 352 and are comfortable with it then its an option.

However I think that's unlikely as we've only played 4 at the back formations - 4231/451/442/411 - never three at the back in the last year at least.

And as Chaddy alluded - if Derby lineup 433 they would love us to go 352 as it would give a lot of space to their wide players.

I dont think Bowyer has ever played 3-5-2 since becoming Manager.

He has always played 4 at the back.

Playing 3 at the against 1 Derby striker would be a waste.

We need to 4-4-2. Lawrence is key for us tonight. I agree with ppl who has said our best chance is to closed them down and press high

We need to 4-4-2. Lawrence is key for us tonight. I agree with ppl who has said our best chance is to closed them down and press high

You sound a bit desperate pinning your hopes on one loan player chaddy.

Sack it, lets get in their faces and attack them.

STEELE

KILGALLON - HANLEY - DUFFY

MARSHALL - EVANS - WILLIAMSON - AKPAN - CONWAY

LAWRENCE - RHODES

Bold and in my opinion BRILLIANT! But I pretty sure this couldn't be further away from the Manager's mind!!

• Moderation Lead

If you'd seen him play you'd pin your hopes on him too! A very promising player indeed.

Cos he is playing 10 role so crucial for us attacking wise and also droping deep to help the centre midfield out.

Plus He is a very good player with good techinque and Skill.

Maybe you should come down and watch the game

Is this on TV?

Nope.

One positive from last season's game which I can see, is that Will Hughes is out for them with a cruciate injury. He absolutely controlled the midfield last season which was key in the way the game panned out until I think it was Tunnicliffe came on and nullified his effect. By then it was too late.

This, coupled with the fact that Akpan and Evans seem to have put together a decent partnership, gives me some hope of getting something tonight.

• Backroom

I've seen a few people say 'no rb since Neill'... did they forget Sam seeming to stock up on them when we had Emerson, Salgado and Jacobsen? It was once our very strongest department!

What I wouldn't give for someone of that quality now...

would love to see us win this one with the unwashed ones coming to town on Saturday, the confidence needed for that game would be there.

if we lose tonight I fear we would take that mentality into Saturday and get beat there again which is very grim!

positive mentality breeds success!

3-1 Rovers with a suprise performance that many will be gutted they missed...

I've seen a few people say 'no rb since Neill'... did they forget Sam seeming to stock up on them when we had Emerson, Salgado and Jacobsen? It was once our very strongest department!

Emerton bombing on past Bentley either could beat a man or whip an excellent ball in, that was a great combo.

• Backroom

Emerton bombing on past Bentley either could beat a man or whip an excellent ball in, that was a great combo.

With Warnock and Pedersen offering a similar dynamic on the left. Friedel in goal, Nelsen and Samba at the back, Sav and Tugay in the middle, Benni and Roberts up front. That team was magical to watch.

*sigh*

Not forgetting Chimbonda, who Sam then tried converting to left back, rather unsuccessfully !

Not forgetting Chimbonda, who Sam then tried converting to left back, rather unsuccessfully !

It did result in him making Steven Fletcher look silly before slotting it past Jensen in the game vs Burnley...

However, yes you're right. Remember his 'performance' at Old Trafford.

I'm sticking with a 2-1 win for Rovers. It's essential to get something from tonight's games to set us up for the Inbreds. Derby are one of the Championships better squads so we must get of to a good start and not allow Derby to score first. If they do it may well be a lost cause for us. I fear for us as tonight's Ref is a card happy fellow.

It did result in him making Steven Fletcher look silly before slotting it past Jensen in the game vs Burnley...

However, yes you're right. Remember his 'performance' at Old Trafford.

He did well that day for sure but he struggled mostly at LB, crazy to think we sold a decent left back just to stock up on right backs although I could see Allardyces idea of getting Salgado here in the hope of more following. Pity the club couldn't back him on that one :(

Having nearly got over the massive let down of Saturday we need a win tonight to boost the fans and the teams morale before Saturday. Derby have not lost away all season (ok only 5 games) so I'm concered we could go into the weekend on the back of two defeats. Where that leaves us is anyones guess as no one is going to get moved on no matter what. I think it could be grim on Saturday if it all goes wrong.

Ok Rhodes to score 1-0 backs to the wall win.

I've correctly backed the wrong team vs. Rovers for the last 6 games.

I've backed a Derby win here. So, as always I suggest doing the exact opposite. Put your money on a Rovers win.

Archived