BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Those Were The Days...

Pedro

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The camardaderie on the BBE was one of the reasons we stood around chatting waiting for news on what had happened to Watford !

That was the play off semi final 1st leg, '88/'89 season.That was the game in which Garns (having checked that the attention of the match officials was elsewhere) proceeded to elbow Graham Roberts in the mouth with incredible force!

Good days!

I've heard a lot about Tucker the _ucker. Wasn't he the enforcer for the local bobbies? Well known for beating lads up. Proper old school police brutality.

Yes that definitely sounds like Raymond Tucker.

He died a few weeks ago incidentally. Ex Mill Hill St Peter's boy.

That was the play off semi final 1st leg, '88/'89 season.That was the game in which Garns (having checked that the attention of the match officials was elsewhere) proceeded to elbow Graham Roberts in the mouth with incredible force!

Good days!

It was indeed. We thought we had buggered it up in first leg but then got a victory down at Vicarage Road which 2 matches later led to the worst day of my 18 year then life down at Selhurst Park. Stick your Dave Clark 5 up yer arse. Have never forgiven Palace and their fans for that day i am afraid.

I love the footage of the first leg when Speedie get's his goals in the 2nd half and the two tiny kids keep trying to run on the pitch........also the clear footage of the teenage fan on the fence giving Derby the V's...............THEY'RE UNSTOPPABLE!!

I wonder who the were?

Could you see anyone doing a Moran these days for the equaliser at t'baseball ground?

What a night that was at thre Baseball End - looked like getting a bit tasty at the end too - Speedie got a boot up his arse that night if i remember rightly. Was living in Berkshire at the time and London Blues sorted me a ticket. What a night - imagine - going to Wembley with the potential of the promised land just one game away. Moran was immense - he was like a frieght train for that goal nobody or nothing was going to stop that........EI AYE EI AYE EI AYE O..............

It was such an amazing time to be a Rover. I turned 17 soon after the wembley win. The atmosphere at Ewood for that 2nd leg was amazing............I particularly liked standing on the Darren End when we took it over in the early 90's........There's only the Kop I never got to watch a game from

From sitting on the Blackburn End wall wathcing us getting owned by Micky Droy to Champions of England in 8 years!

It was indeed. We thought we had buggered it up in first leg but then got a victory down at Vicarage Road which 2 matches later led to the worst day of my 18 year then life down at Selhurst Park. Stick your Dave Clark 5 up yer arse. Have never forgiven Palace and their fans for that day i am afraid.What a night that was at thre Baseball End - looked like getting a bit tasty at the end too - Speedie got a boot up his arse that night if i remember rightly. Was living in Berkshire at the time and London Blues sorted me a ticket. What a night - imagine - going to Wembley with the potential of the promised land just one game away. Moran was immense - he was like a frieght train for that goal nobody or nothing was going to stop that........EI AYE EI AYE EI AYE O..............

6 of us from Southport Blues (where I lived at the time) were in the middle of the Derby fans in the stand above the Rovers fans.....not the most pleasant evening evening apart from the Moran goal and the result.

Sitting over the wall by the BBE/Nuttal St. corner flag, and watching Mike Harrison charging down the touch line towards us. My God I thought we were always going to be killed in the collision.

Walking to Ewood from Audley, via Crossfield St and Rockcliffe St, under't Mucky Brig and on down to Bolton Road. The excitement increased with every step.

Standing outside the players entrance after the game to get Duggies, Dobing's and Dougans autographs. I still have them except Dougans, I burnt that.

I recall doing exactly the same things, same players too.

My walk started from Ripon Street

I recall doing exactly the same things, same players too.

My walk started from Ripon Street

Round about that time I would be over the wall towards the Darwen end. Either a walk from Hope Street or Kirby Rd. I remember throwing the ball back to Bobby Moore got a smile and a thanks. Good times.

Edit: checking the records that had to be the 1-2 loss at home in 1965. I would have been 13 years old and I wondered why was I over the wall - then remembered I was a titch until about 16 years old

My Grandad used to take me and the first thing we did after getting of the bus into town was to go to the Sarsaparilla stall.

Who remembers the bloke who come round at half time and put the scores up from all the other games by slotting metal plates into a wooden frame. The excitement as he walked past the front of the Blackburn end and he would let you know if Burnley were losing before he put the scores up.

The guy who used to make the sasparella died and took his recipe to the grave, the new stuff tastes distinctly different, my dad says the old guy knew how to take the germoline type flavour out, which the new guy doesnt do

• 4 weeks later...

Bolton away. Cannot remember date or year but Dougie scored at the Railway end. We were at the other end but opposite where he hit it. The ball bent and went into he top left hand corner, this was in the days when footballs did not bend. Bolton keeper who I don't remember his name but should, had no chance. Wonderful goal.

Anybody who can remember the Bolton keeper? Please advise. I think he played for England on a couple of occasions.

Bolton away. Cannot remember date or year but Dougie scored at the Railway end. We were at the other end but opposite where he hit it. The ball bent and went into he top left hand corner, this was in the days when footballs did not bend. Bolton keeper who I don't remember his name but should, had no chance. Wonderful goal.

Anybody who can remember the Bolton keeper? Please advise. I think he played for England on a couple of occasions.

Eddie Hopkinson

Eddie Hopkinson.

Sorry, there's an echo in here.

I remember going to Bolton once when we were in Div 2 I think. The referee was a bloke called Maurice Fussey, he was a big lanky guy with the party trick of all of a sudden sprinting backwards !

Anyway we were losing 2-0 or 2-1 and there was about 15 minutes left when he blew for time and took all the players off. This was in spite of the main stand at Burnden Park having a bloody huge clock that said 4-25 !

After about 5 minutes of complete confusion all over the ground the players re- emerged putting their shirts back on and re doing up their boots. Something had gone wrong with his watch apparently !

In spite of the reprieve of the extra 15 mins we still lost 2-1.

• Guest changed the title to Those Were The Days...

Archived