BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Alan Shearer Way

Ewooduknow

A statue of Shearer and Sutton holding the Prem Trophy aloft...right next to Jack,simply perfect.

There you go Mr Myers,another free idea for you.

I like the idea of a Alan Shearer way. It'll also rub salt into the Geordie Trophy Barrenlands.

The Sutton Shearer Jack Statue is a must. It would be all about Rovers, the achievement and the glory. lets for once put aside our reserved Lancashire ways and show off what this club has done.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent tribute. Celebrating our rich history is something I wish we did more of.

I agree entirely. We aren't big headed enough. Those lot down the road kept a high profile in the 80s by harping on about and even making up things about themselves. Most clubs would shout out loud about a history like ours. (As a side issue it rankles with me that on our honours bridge it says '1913/14 Div 1 Champs'. Should say English Champs)

On the small town issue. To me Blackburn is Blackburn ie 105,000. If we're going to include Darwen and liken us to the size of eg Miiddlesbrough then we should be looking at Teeside's population. We get hammered enough for support without having to be compared to clubs with much bigger catchment areas.

So on this occasion I'll take the small town tag!

I agree entirely. We aren't big headed enough. Those lot down the road kept a high profile in the 80s by harping on about and even making up things about themselves. Most clubs would shout out loud about a history like ours. (As a side issue it rankles with me that on our honours bridge it says '1913/14 Div 1 Champs'. Should say English Champs)

On the small town issue. To me Blackburn is Blackburn ie 105,000. If we're going to include Darwen and liken us to the size of eg Miiddlesbrough then we should be looking at Teeside's population. We get hammered enough for support without having to be compared to clubs with much bigger catchment areas.

So on this occasion I'll take the small town tag!

Sorry.....just realised a few people have already covered the above.

A statue of Shearer and Sutton holding the Prem Trophy aloft...right next to Jack,simply perfect.

I think that's a great idea SG. Possibly in a more prominent position, like the main entrance to the BBE.

I'm not sure I would go with Sutton but I completely agree with the sentiment. I would have statues of Shearer and King Kenny erected near Jack's.

As for Alan Shearer way it's not much but it's the very least he deserves. Inexplicable he wasn't given a prominent stretch when Oakdale was built.

• Backroom

I'm not sure I would go with Sutton but I completely agree with the sentiment. I would have statues of Shearer and King Kenny erected near Jack's.

As for Alan Shearer way it's not much but it's the very least he deserves. Inexplicable he wasn't given a prominent stretch when Oakdale was built.

Surely Shearer and Sutton are inseparable re: our history? SAS ffs!

Although Alan has received godlike status amongst Rovers fans and quite rightly so, naming roads and streets after footballers is naff in my opinion. Silly.

I agree and personally I think Alan didn't stay here long enough to become a "legend".

If legend status is purely about trophies - then surely there should be a road named after Andrew Cole (as he won Rovers 2 trophies :P).

Timing probably rev! when Oakdale was being built seventeen, eighteen years ago. Would it have been wise back then to name a road after Alan Shearer.

I don't post very often on here these days, and this may be out of tenor with a lot of the posts I used to make; but I totally agree with this. I have a number of friends in Newcastle who follow their big city team and ever since Shearer left us so suddenly, I've referred to him in conversation with them as "Iscariot; the Newcastle No. 9".

Remind me again; how close to the start of the season was it before he decamped to his home town team? And remind me again; how many trophies did they win while he was playing for them?

Although Al rended my heart out by leaving, and comments he made around the time before doing so rankle somewhat, I can't truly hold it against him that he left us to go to his home town team. I'd have done it too. If I had Shearer's ability, I'd have gone to Rovers at the first opportunity, and remained there for at least as long as they were in the top flight, without question.

What actually hurts and offends me more than the fact he went to Newcastle is that by his own admission, if he hadn't gone to them he would have gone to Manure (assuming Jack would have ever sanctioned it, which is questionable). It never happened, and I'm glad of that, but that he had the intention is still painful to me to this day.

Definitely gave the club enough to merit a poxy road name though!

I think Shearer must represent the best piece of business in Premiership history. Took a gamble by paying a British record fee for him, and yet still made five times that money back when we sold him. Tons of goals, happy memories, and a championship into the bargain. Even with Jack's drive and money and Kenny's leadership, how long would it have taken for us to win that trophy without him, if ever?

• Backroom

Blackburn MP for years wasn't she?

A quick google search says she was. 1945 - 1979

She was the longest serving female MP in the history of the House of Commons until her record was broken by Gwyneth Dunwoody in 2007.

A quick google search says she was. 1945 - 1979

She was the longest serving female MP in the history of the House of Commons until her record was broken by Gwyneth Dunwoody in 2007.

B Castle (Labour) 1945-1979

J Straw (Labour) 1979-2015

ex-councillor (Labour) 2015-

The town has gone from strength to strength with a Labour MP for the past 60 years! :blink:

• Moderation Lead

B Castle (Labour) 1945-1979

J Straw (Labour) 1979-2015

ex-councillor (Labour) 2015-

The town has gone from strength to strength with a Labour MP for the past 60 years! :blink:

Wrong thread :tu:

Archived