SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Alan Shearer Way

Ewooduknow

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Who cares. Once he was gone he was gone for me.

Bit harsh. With all due respect to the likes of Ronnie and Duggie, surely our greatest ever player. Expecting him to stay and play whilst we floundered under Harford is a bit like expecting him to play for Coyle.

They want a guaranteed full house plus a game with a bit of appeal to give something back to the fans. Many big English clubs go after the Scottish giants for players testimonials as playing them isn't a regular thing obviously. 

Playing the likes of Celtic is always an 'occasion' playing the likes of Rovers is run of the mill.

21 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why didn't we play Newcastle for Shearers testimonial? They played Celtic. 

Why would Newcastle choose Rovers or indeed allow Shearer to pick the club where Shearer won his only winners medal. The average Geordie would imo think Celtic a bigger club than us. Maybe a Geordie MB could answer you.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Why would Newcastle choose Rovers or indeed allow Shearer to pick the club where Shearer won his only winners medal. The average Geordie would imo think Celtic a bigger club than us. Maybe a Geordie MB could answer you.

I assumed a testimonial is more about what the players wants, as opposed to the club he currently plays at. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I assumed a testimonial is more about what the players wants, as opposed to the club he currently plays at. 

Me too but remember that the Geordies think they have always been a big club and that we are just a small town nobody even when PL champs.

19 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Bit harsh. With all due respect to the likes of Ronnie and Duggie, surely our greatest ever player. Expecting him to stay and play whilst we floundered under Harford is a bit like expecting him to play for Coyle.

Shearer was best striker in my time. Duggie the best footballer by a country mile. A genius with a football.

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

There is normally a committee formed and they decide who, where and when the opponents will be. They want to generate as much money as possible and know that Rangers or Celtic will swell the attendance. They usually organise other events throughout the year to boost the coffers.

28 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would of thought that Shearer would have wanted a big crowd and the money it would generate.

38 minutes ago, Hanks said:

I would of thought that Shearer would have wanted a big crowd and the money it would generate.

I would have thought it was more about his legacy. His best form and success came while in a Rovers jersey. For me, I would have looked at a testimonial as a spectacle to celebrate a players career. His hometown club V the club where he won the Premiership. Celtic have no relevance to Shearer whatsoever. I would have thought clubs could put petty grievances aside for such events and footballers would be more interested in playing games that highlight their careers, rather than playing a completely irrelevant team just to add more money to their bulging back accounts. I can understand players going for the big money games back before the Premier league years, when footballers genuinely did need one last big pay off to set themselves up for retirement, but not nowadays. 

• Guest changed the title to Alan Shearer Way

Archived