BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Messiah Returns

I'll second that. One of the most accurate crossers of the ball I've seen here. Absolute legend.

Funnily enough Simon Garner was a brilliant crosser as well. If Windy Miller could have crossed as well as Garner, then the latter would probably have racked up 300 goals for The Rovers!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leeds United at home....Flowers gets sent off after 5 mins. Shearer runs the whole of the front line for the whole of the match. Scores the only goal and we win 1-0.

No wonder we cried that July morning in 1996.

I think Leeds equalised from penalty spot with about 5mins to go?

Leeds United at home....Flowers gets sent off after 5 mins. Shearer runs the whole of the front line for the whole of the match. Scores the only goal and we win 1-0.

No wonder we cried that July morning in 1996.

Gary McAllister scored for Leeds.

That was a great game - we did well to draw. Hendry had a heroic clearance off the line too.

I've seen 'em all since 1962 and if I had to chose a player to play to save my life it would be Bryan Douglas. There's not many players out there who could beat teams on their own but he could. For the kids - imagine a very fast Tugay playing just behind the strikers when Douglas played in midfield or a trickier version of Damian Duff when Douglas played on the wing. That's what you had. Nearest player to him playing in the Premier League is Eden Hazard when he's on top form. He still scored the best goal I've ever seen at Ewood Park. A mazy dribble from the half way line through almost the entire WBA team finished off into the top corner, cool as you like.

Plus the fact he didn't crap on us.

Duggie wanted to leave at one stage .... but the club wouldn't let him. That was the end of it, he got with the job and played out his career with us.

Duggie was the best footballer I've seen in a Rovers shirt, and he was better than Tom Finney too. One of those players who made the game "beautiful". No one comes close to him in terms of ability though Keith Gillespie had a similar running style.

Have to say that Shearer was better than Fred Pickering but I'd love to have seen them both in the same team !

Duggie wanted to leave at one stage .... but the club wouldn't let him. That was the end of it, he got with the job and played out his career with us.

Duggie was the best footballer I've seen in a Rovers shirt, and he was better than Tom Finney too. One of those players who made the game "beautiful". No one comes close to him in terms of ability though Keith Gillespie had a similar running style.

Have to say that Shearer was better than Fred Pickering but I'd love to have seen them both in the same team !

I think I read years ago that he said " Roma " wanted him after that game when he ran " The Italian League " ragged at Highbury. That was when Denis Law, Joe Baker, Gerry Hitchens and John Charles had recently been out there.

• Backroom

The goal against qpr, thunder strike, leaves the crossbar wobbling, I think its still wobbling now.

Probably my favourite goal ever - still remember his interview 'sometimes they end up in the back of the stand'

Probably my favourite goal ever - still remember his interview 'sometimes they end up in the back of the stand'

Unbelievable goal, if it had ended up in the back of the stand it probably would have killed someone!

I loved the keeper's reaction. Dived about half a second after it had thundered off the bar, immediately stood up, turned around, put his hands on his hips and just stared at Shearer like he'd just grown an extra head or something.

Unbelievable goal, if it had ended up in the back of the stand it probably would have killed someone!

I loved the keeper's reaction. Dived about half a second after it had thundered off the bar, immediately stood up, turned around, put his hands on his hips and just stared at Shearer like he'd just grown an extra head or something.

That was some shot. We've had one or two who could hit a ball over the years but I can't recall a harder one than that.

Reidy's against Wigan is the only one that probably (just about) pips it for me.

Yep, that was a real blaster as well but Reidy had put dozens into row Z before that one went in. Shearer got most of his shots on target. We had a winger when I first started going to Ewood called Mike Harrison who could really bang the ball with either foot. He had legs like Mark Hughes.

Yep, that was a real blaster as well but Reidy had put dozens into row Z before that one went in. Shearer got most of his shots on target. We had a winger when I first started going to Ewood called Mike Harrison who could really bang the ball with either foot. He had legs like Mark Hughes.

Was he the guy that opened the sports shop in Darwen?

Was he the guy that opened the sports shop in Darwen?

I don't know but I doubt it. He was only a youngish guy when he left. It was usually the retired players that opened shops.

We had a counter attacking move at that time were the goalkeeper would throw the ball out to Harrison standing out on the left wing just outside the penalty area. Harrison would immediately launch a 70 yard arrow of a diagonal cross field pass straight to Mike Ferguson on the other wing who'd sprinted forward as soon as the goalkeeper threw the ball out. We caught several teams out with it before word got around. Games weren't on TV much then and I don't think much pre fixture scouting went on either so you could get away with it for quite a while. Obviously you could only use it once per game.

• Backroom

That was some shot. We've had one or two who could hit a ball over the years but I can't recall a harder one than that.

I'd put Pedersen vs Fulham (home), Tugay vs Spurs (home), Bentley vs Reading (away) in contention, as well as Reid vs Wigan.

Awesome and brilliant as it is, Reid's against Wigan and Tugay's against Tottenham regularly feature in the top 10 fastest ever recorded.

I can only assume the technology hadn't come in yet for Shearer's against QPR, or its not quite as fast as it looks. I think its easier to get the pace on a ball that's off the ground, Tugay's was a volley and Reid's sat up slightly on like its third bounce. Whereas Shearer's was pretty much rolling when he hit it.

Harrison took the penalties for Rovers in those days and always blasted them home with all his laces showing. No sidefooting the ball with him.

You only think he blasted them Jim, he actually side footed them but with the power of most players giving it everything. I've got a couple of photo's after successful pens were from his body position it was obvious he had just side footed the ball. He had tremendous power in those tree trunk lie thighs. Of all our penalty takers he'd be the guy to take one to save my life.

• Backroom

Another favourite

Remember this being the only time I've felt bad for an opposition player, we destroyed them (7-1 I think) Bryan Gunn the Norwich keeper just looked desperate then it came out that the same week he lost his daughter to Leukaemia

Archived