BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News Article -> Coyle Interview

Where did you get Fletcher from? His son on Twitter said it was someone else i'm trying to remember the name.

It's in the RoversPlayer interview, below. Owen Coyle attributes 'Paul Fletcher' as his lawyer in the video at 5:10.

A bit of googling reveals that Fletcher works at IPS Law, which is run by Chris Farnell, a company who in has in recent years has represented Jerome Anderson and SEM. I'd imagine though, in the football / sports world, when it comes to agencies, lawyers and consultants etc - it is a small circle and everybody knows and works with each other on occasions, like any other industry.

Edited by cop

@oldjamfan Thanks so much for that. What a wonderfully eloquent and precise letter (email) that is. Well done for getting all the significant issues across in a reasonable,thoughtful, but still firm and direct manner.

If I wore a hat I'd tip it in your direction.

Cheers!

• Like 2

The owners of this club are playing the fans for fools and most of them are happy to sleepwalk into oblivion. "Give Coyle a chance, Venky's are paying the bills". Frankly, these apologists don't deserve a club like Rovers.

• Like 2

The owners of this club are playing the fans for fools and most of them are happy to sleepwalk into oblivion. "Give Coyle a chance, Venky's are paying the bills". Frankly, these apologists don't deserve a club like Rovers.

Re being taken for fools, I agree. As for me, I have never been in Deliverance and I don't aim to start now..(.pigs, squeal etc)

tumblr_inline_nu6ldj1t1u1s5zaqn_500.jpg

@oldjamfan Thanks so much for that. What a wonderfully eloquent and precise letter (email) that is. Well done for getting all the significant issues across in a reasonable,thoughtful, but still firm and direct manner.

If I wore a hat I'd tip it in your direction.

Cheers!

Thanks. It was cathartic but I fear it will be unrequited.

Just to add to IPS law debate.

I recieved a letter from them when part of the action group regarding Jerome Anderson and what I said, of which my the reply was pretty much, "sue me"

Farnell was also the choice of lawyer when Venkys tried to castrate Derek Shaw.

They are a great law firm as they also leaked internal communication from the Raos to Shaw to the Action Group under club instruction asking us to make them public, im sure Shaw based on that would have his own law suit, considering Rovers paid the then club solicitors Brabners to write to us to ask us to remove them or they would sue.

So one club lawyer tells us to make public which we do and the othet club solicitor states now we have they are going to sue, which in itself suggest dark forces within the armoury of this whole mess.

Any idiot who is buying that there is no link needs to get their head out the sand.

FYI from the time

Dear Shebby,

I thought I would send yourself and the owners a summary of the Judges verdict on our application to remove the admission of liability to pay Henning Berg a salary calculation over 2 1/2 years.

You will recall Derek Shaw and Brabners admitted liability for this sum without informing the owners. This can be evidenced by Derek Shaws conversation with Brabners which is on the file where it states she will not like this but will have to do it and ease it into her.

Our Application on 16th April 2013 was to attempt to remove / withdraw the admission of liability and go to a trial to hear this matter in full.

You will be aware from my previous notes that upon investigating this matter further and going through the witness statement with Derek Shaw that I did have deep reservations about this matter going to full trial as a result of feeling that Derek Shaw would not make a reliable witness as he seemed to be unsure of key events.

In short, the Judge today has dismissed our Application to withdraw the admission. As such, the admission by Derek Shaw and Brabners will stand and a further sum of monies (approximately £50k) will have to be paid to Henning Berg on to of the monies already paid.

The Judge found that:

1) He did not believe the evidence as submitted by Derek Shaw;

2) Derek Shaw had not told Henning Berg or his advisors that he did not have the authority to enter into that contract;

3) Derek Shaw removed the 12 month notification period from the contract and it was, he found, acceptable for Henning Berg and his advisors to rely upon Derek Shaws authority to bind the owners;

4) There was contradictory evidence before him (letters regarding the investigation viz a viz notification on the Clubs official website that their was no investigation);

5) The Club had neither suspended nor terminated Derek Shaws contract therefore: -

he did not believe the admission should be withdrawn and Judgment should be entered against the Club.

The situation the Club faces itself in is, in my opinion, wholly unfair and results from the removal of the twelve month notification period and the initial admission of liability. This factor is even more frustrating when you consider the point at calculation of the monies owed to Henning Berg under the contract is higher than the amount of money he would have earned if he had remained at the Club for the full duration. We must not forget that payment ought to have been made within a ridiculously short length of time of 28 days. This again is a mistake that had been made either by the MD or by Brabners Chaffe Street when drafting the contract.

Next Step

In my opinion the Club now have to consider the following:

1. The position of the MD;

2. Whether there are any legal grounds to pursue a claim for damages against Brabners; and

3. Protection for the owners at Boardroom level.

I am happy to advise briefly (and in more detail if requested) as follows:

a) The actions by the MD, either deliberately or by mistake which may constitute gross misconduct and as such suspension / termination are available by way of remedy to the Club immediately. In addition, contractually the Club has the right to pursue such damages against the MD. The owners must consider this matter.

B) Potentially, as a result of the advice that has been given by Brabners, and in some cases not given, could lead to a potential action against Brabners for damages. We should consider this in detail; and

c) Currently the owners do not appear to have any one of their representatives on the Board and as such, I am concerned that the owners are not protected at Boardroom level. Consideration should be given to (perhaps yourself) being appointed to the Board and therefore being in a position to carry out the owners wishes. In addition, the position of the MD could also be reviewed (please see my earlier point).

I have to say that for this situation to arise at MD level of a Plc is quite extraordinary and in my view in football is unprecedented.

I would strongly urge for an urgent review of the structure and corporate governance of the Club in order to avoid a repeat or confrontation between the Board and the owners, both of which would be highly damaging to the Club.

Undoubtedly the Club has received over the last few days some bad publicity as a result of the Henning Berg situation and may do so in tomorrows press. I would therefore expect that the fans and the press will expect the owners to act decisively on this matter.

I wish to reassure both yourselves and the owners from a legal point of view that everything that could be done was done.

In addition, the Club will also be liable for not only its own legal costs but those of the advisors to Henning Berg.

Should you wish to speak with me to discuss please do not hesitate to contact me on my mobile (07748 980 707)

Kind regards

Yours sincerely

Chris Farnell

Partner

IPS Law LLP

(dictated not read)

David House

10-12 Cecil Road

Hale

Cheshire

WA15 9PA

DDT: +44 (0)161 830 4717

Fax: +44 (0)161 830 4711

Edited by glen9mullan

Thanks Glen.

" I have to say that for this situation to arise at MD level of a Plc is quite extraordinary and in my view in football is unprecedented...
...I would strongly urge for an urgent review of the structure and corporate governance of the Club in order to avoid a repeat or confrontation between the Board and the owners, both of which would be highly damaging to the Club."

And yet he continued in his Job for nearly 3 years and without apparent sanction. And we continue to have a dysfunctional Board structure.

And some people STILL think Venkys are our only option.

• Like 2

• Backroom

Aye, reading that letter it is incredible to think that anybody who really knew or cared about what was going on at the club would keep Shaw in place. It was a question asked at the time, and still relevant today - why was Shaw never removed from his position? Much like Kean, he simply ended up resigning when it was convenient for him.

It is actually heart breaking to read this, posted by GM and goes to show we have no chance of surviving under these owners. How the authorities can allow this to continue, beggars belief.

• Like 1

Fasten your seat belts

http://orangeintheoven.com/2016/05/07/owen-coyles-job-line/

Unfortunately the team which he assembled in his own image has shown itself to be a steaming pile of garbage. If this really is the team Coyle wanted then the only conclusion is that he has no idea what he’s doing. If that is the case– and it certainly looks more and more likely that it is– then Owen Coyle must be fired.

Coyle’s tenure with the Dynamo has been very poor.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

Fasten your seat belts

Unfortunately the team which he assembled in his own image has shown itself to be a steaming pile of garbage. If this really is the team Coyle wanted then the only conclusion is that he has no idea what he’s doing. If that is the case– and it certainly looks more and more likely that it is– then Owen Coyle must be fired.

You only have to watch the highlights on Sky Sports. Late goals conceded, terrible defending. Excuses galore, remind you of any other Scottish Manager he may or may not share an agent with.

• Like 1

Fasten your seat belts

Bloody Hell!!! :(

Edited by MCMC1875

The FL are too busy rebranding themselves

Yes funny they have the money to do that, when only a few years ago in a BBC documentary they said they do not have the manpower or finance to track down who the real owners of clubs were in the Football League.

Still I'm sure the EDL (oops see how is easy it is to mistype) EFL will be having a jolly good time patting themselves on the back about the new product launch with not a thought in the world about mismanagement of their member clubs. Could be worse of course like the Premier Leagues new Disney inspired Lion king logo

Edited by perthblue02

Fasten your seat belts

Ah but I can hear the people who want to give him a chance saying 'what do the Americans know about football'? Didn't the Bolton fans nickname him clueless and the comments from Dave Whelan are similar to the Houston supporters comments.

The man is a bullshitter and has blagged his way into jobs and (with one exception) crashed and burned. His interviews are full of superlatives (he likes the word magnificent), something that makes me wary straight away.

This was the email message I sent to Mike Cheston about the appointment of Owen Coyle, and I now know that he has read it.

Dear Mike

I hope this finds you well, and refreshed after your holiday.

I have supported the Rovers since 1970 and seen all the lows and highs we have had during that period. We are lucky enough to have experienced some unforgettable highlights, though we are obviously enduring leaner times these days.

For the past 20+ years I have made the 450 mile round trip from Glasgow, having ‘emigrated’ there for work purposes, though sadly in these days of Sky TV and with the large number of midweek fixtures in the Sky Bet Championship, I am restricted to Saturday afternoon games and gave up my season ticket a couple of years ago. I normally get to 10 – 15 games every season.

Very rarely during these 46 years as a supporter have I felt the need to write to the club, but events since Paul Lambert’s tenure as manager have compelled me to contact you for some clarification on certain matters.

Before I get into that can I stress that this is absolutely nothing personal against Owen Coyle, a man who I have met on occasions and whose immediate family (wife and sister) actually taught both of my children in Bishopbriggs. He seems a decent man, and I also have no problem with the fact that he has managed Burnley (or Bolton for that matter) or even that he appeared to criticise the Rovers fans' ‘treatment’ of Steve Kean a few years ago. Playing for or managing rival clubs has always been part and parcel of football and it's not as if he supports the Clarets or even left them on good terms. Sticking up for Kean was no doubt partly LMA solidarity and partly because he actually does know Steve personally. That said, I think it was a brave/reckless* decision to appoint such a divisive figure, at a time when the club should be doing everything in its power to unite an already fractured fan base.

*delete as necessary

However, I do have concerns over Owen Coyle’s previous links to SEM and/or Kentaro and they have not been assuaged by Owen completely denying any knowledge of SEM during his first interview as Rovers manager. There appears to be strong evidence to the contrary available and I think it would be hugely helpful for a statement to be put out by the club clarifying this matter, because in this age of social media the perception of a link to a previous situation at the club is growing arms and legs by the day. Until that perception is removed (assuming it can be) then Owen will have no chance of being accepted by a significant proportion of the fan base here at Ewood Park. We had to endure a previous situation where manager and supporters were practically enemies when Steve Kean was promoted beyond his capabilities, and I fear it would finish the club off for good were it to happen again.

Leaving that aside, I also have some concerns about the process of Owen’s recruitment, and I know that many long standing supporters – and as a finance man yourself you’ll understand that these are paying customers of the club - are similarly mystified by it.

These are the concerns I have:

1. On the basis that Owen Coyle himself said he had been approached in relation to the post (and not the other way round) and the aforementioned suspected previous links with him and SEM/Kentaro – despite his denial of any knowledge of SEM - were they or any of their offshoot organisations involved in the recruitment of Mr Coyle, the approach to Mr Coyle or the advising of the owners/club to approach him? The ability to answer this question openly and put supporters’ minds at rest is crucial.

2. Mr Coyle does not seem to fit the person specification for the position as outlined publicly by your good self. He is, in fact, the polar opposite of what the club was supposed to be looking for in respect of bringing through young players - this is not Owen Coyle's forte.

3. The club, according to your interview with the Lancashire Telegraph, had supposedly carried out all the manager interviews before you went on holiday on 20th May. This was before Owen Coyle had even left his job in the USA, which was announced on 25th May. Could you please explain how this was possible.

4. If the answer to Q3 is that he became available after the four initial interviews had been completed and the club subsequently decided to approach him, his record over the past 6 years simply does not stand up to any scrutiny. How does this make him the best candidate for the job? While one couldn't expect you to go as far as to name the other four candidates, can you confirm that they have an even worse recent record than Owen Coyle (who has roughly a 33% win ratio over his last three jobs, one of which was at a significantly lower level than the Football League Championship)? If so that speaks volumes about the current state of Blackburn Rovers Football Club. As if the previous manager activating a ‘get out’ clause – almost unprecedented I would suggest – wasn’t enough to send a negative message out to any wannabe managers.

As a long standing supporter of the club, who has to travel long distances even for home games, I am on the verge of withdrawing my support after 46 years, if the above questions cannot be answered satisfactorily, and I know for certain that there are many more people who feel the same way. While we have to accept that, as far as results and which division the club plays in goes, there is nothing guaranteed and we are certainly not entitled to enjoy top flight football at Ewood Park forever and a day, football doesn’t work like that other than for the super rich clubs, but the ‘dumbing down’ of the club since the Venkys assumed ownership has been painful, to say the least. Not helped by the contemptuous way they seem to be treating supporters with their lack of communication, and their apparent scant regard for their views. I certainly don’t envy the person who takes on the recently advertised liaison role, that’s for sure!

I’m not necessarily expecting a personal or direct response to this email Mike, I would imagine you’ll be inundated with similar emails and from the outside looking in you would appear to be doing enough multitasking as it is, but it would be good if the points I have raised could be addressed somehow.

Kind regards, and good luck in your new role.

Excellent letter that encapsulates all our feelings.On the Coyle appointment, after all the supposed interviews had taken place,I think the requirement to facilitate keeping Irvine and Kelly was uppermost in the decision.

Excellent letter that encapsulates all our feelings.On the Coyle appointment, after all the supposed interviews had taken place,I think the requirement to facilitate keeping Irvine and Kelly was uppermost in the decision.

Why?
  • Like 1

Why?

Cheston referred to it in a statement on what type of manager they were after.Ideally they wanted somebody who would keep them in place.Presumably the four managers interviewed required their own back up team.The importance of Kelly and Irvine might not be as apparent to us as to those who work behind the scenes.However this in no way justifies Coyle's appointment,just a different slant on the reasoning.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.