BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

I've no doubt that it will Parson. But why do I have this nagging feeling that we're relying on these big cash sales to keep filling a bucket with a chuffing great hole in the bottom?

If we are. And I'm sure we are. Then it's only a matter of time before we appoint a manager who stops producing these players. Hell, we might have already. Thus far we've been living off the canny dealings Bowyer made. How long can this last?

The worrying thing is under Bowyer we were at least paying fees for some of those players which entitled us to look up a little higher up the food chain. Trying to turn freebies into saleable assets is a different thing.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are any of the more financially savvy folk on here able to advise the likely benefit of putting these transfer fees into reducing debt? What I mean by that is, is it actually helping out situation or just keeping the wolf from the door for another couple of months? Is it making a difference in getting us back on an even keel?

CeCe Peneston?

Last I heard we owed over 100 million in debt, but about 90% of that was owed to Venkys as an interest free loan. The balance I presume is owed to the Bank of India.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Bank of India paid off. Interest is money in the bank's pocket which we could have used on the playing field.

As to transfers, here's my wish list:

Nick Rimando, GK, currently with DC United.

Matt Bessler, LB, currently with Kansas City.

Steven Birnbaum, CB, currently with DC United.

Darlington Ngabe, MF, currently with Portland.

Chris Wondolowski, Forward, currently with San Jose Earthquakes.

The worrying thing is under Bowyer we were at least paying fees for some of those players which entitled us to look up a little higher up the food chain. Trying to turn freebies into saleable assets is a different thing.

Exactly Scotty. What's our outlay this summer? 3 freebies and 2 loans. We'll do well to turn a profit on any of them. So its over to the academy. I'm not well versed on the lads we have coming through. But it's realistic to think it'll be a minimum of 2 years before even our best become saleable assets.

I should add. Like him or loathe him I don't think Bowyer wasted a single penny on transfer fees. Tactically inept maybe and his loans were iffy. But credit where it's due.

Last I heard we owed over 100 million in debt, but about 90% of that was owed to Venkys as an interest free loan. The balance I presume is owed to the Bank of India.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Bank of India paid off. Interest is money in the bank's pocket which we could have used on the playing field.

As to transfers, here's my wish list:

Nick Rimando, GK, currently with DC United.

Matt Bessler, LB, currently with Kansas City.

Steven Birnbaum, CB, currently with DC United.

Darlington Ngabe, MF, currently with Portland.

Chris Wondolowski, Forward, currently with San Jose Earthquakes.

Nice to see you posting again smossy. It's been a while.

I can't believe I'm writing this but in the interests of balance and fairness:

If the plan is to sell a player a year to get the debt down I'm all for that at this point, but its important to come out and tell the fans thats the plan and not to expect it to go back into the playing side. The only problem with this approach is the side gets weaker and the plan falls flat on its face once the assets are sold, fans lose interest and you hemorrhage money from elsewhere in the club.

You need to have football people involved to make a success of this, not just an accountant, so it'll probably not work here...

#venkys out :tu:

It was done mistake Adam actually. All sorted now.

10 mil is the figure. With that we can invest in 3 or 4 players.

1 centre back, 1 left back, a keeper and a pacey striker.

Wheater no thanks.

Brown no thanks.

Stuart, no replying to you cos I cant be bother to you.

So you believe we will get 10M for Hanley and then we "can" invest in 3 or 4 players?

We could but we won't. This is a regular pattern and you obviously haven't been following.

I suspect the Bank of India will receive most of the fee we get for Hanley or any other player we sell. Brown seems the likely replacement. Personally, I'd like to see Lenihan given a chance at centre back. Whenever he's played in that role he's looked comfortable and is a good reader of the game.

How much will the Coyle family stand to pocket from the sale of Grant ?

How much will the Coyle family stand to pocket from the sale of Grant ?

JAL, we don't know if Coyles got a deal like Holloway had at Bpool, do you know?

You'd started to post in more coherent way recently, don't go back to this kind of repetitive nonsense please.

A number of us said that selling Rhodes could strengthen the team 'IF' the money was reinvested in the team. We're now saying the same about Hanley. It won't, and we will be weaker. it'll be a couple of freebies at best.

A number of us said that selling Rhodes could strengthen the team 'IF' the money was reinvested in the team. We're now saying the same about Hanley. It won't, and we will be weaker. it'll be a couple of freebies at best.

It's pretty clear that Coyle won't see any of the Hanley cash but I reckon we could be OK with Duffy, Ward, Brown, Lenihan and the prospect of Wharton making the breakthrough. We need to keep Duffy though and he needs to stay professional and not sulk if he doesn't get a move to Celtic or a newly cashed up Wolves.

Error prone? Did you watch him at all last season?

He is our best player, losing him would be a massive blow even if we could spend most of the money.

You probably only watched him last season. Granted (no pun intended) he might have improved, but prior to last season, he clearly wasn't a fans favourite you know.

It doesn't matter what fee we receive for Grant Hanley if we don't use the proceeds to replace him/strengthen the squad. We will get a worse replacement in than him, that's for sure....

We already have Wes Brown lined up ;)

I'm surprised Iceman that you write so authoritatively on Hanley and question rf99, as neither you nor I get to many games.

I watched a lot of games on Rovers player (just a couple at the ground) and Hanley was head and shoulders above the rest of the team. A few players had decent seasons but I was under they impression most people felt that Hanley won player of the year award by a country mile.

He didn't have the best time the previous season but he was carrying an injury. He has had some good performances in the past but last season he really came of age (as you might expect for a 24 yr old centre back) and was one of the best in the league.

It is also worth noting that Duffy and Ward played better when partnered with Hanley. This may be in part down to their preferred positions, Hanley left side and other two right, but I would guess a lot of that is also due to Hanley. As he has gotten older and more experienced his leadership and organisational skills have improved, being an outsider it is hard to tell.

As for transfer fees, this summer they have gone even crazier, look at prices quoted for Sissoko, M. Keane, Matt Ritchie, Dwight Gayle, Jordan Ibe and so on and so on. While 8m for Hanley may look crazy but in the current atmosphere it's quite normal.

Duffy on the other hand, although I'd like to keep him, I think given the circumstances if one has to leave it should be him. Duffy came on a lot last year, we had a very good defensive record last year, hence our two centre backs being linked away, and although part of it may be because of better midfield protection, there has still been a lot of improvement.

Duffy is prone to too many mistakes but he is almost without equal for his (defensive) heading prowess and he has gotten better with feet, even some of his passes are good occasionally.

However he only has one year left on his contract. How the club has let this happen I don't know but it has been stupid. Duffy should have been offered a new contract ages ago, same with Marshall, we ALL know who the 3 guys who might be worth something left are, but two of them have been left with just a year left on their contracts... I do wonder if it was part of Lambert's frustration that he couldn't get permission to sort out these two's contracts (as well as the large number of others whose contracts were running out) in January, February or March.

Ward looks a decent to good player, he likes the right side and is another good player in the air so if needs must I think he and Hanley could make an excellent partnership so if one HAS to go I'd choose Duffy.

Archived