BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

1966 And All That

Paul

So 50 years ago today.

I recall the final vividly to the extent I can describe our lounge and where everyone sat. I was 12. I know my younger sister must have been there but have no memory of that.

Mum and Dad had no interest in football but watched. My uncle, grandfather - both avid football fans - and grandmother, no interest, came round as we had a telly.

My other abiding memory is getting a World Cup winners first day cover at the post office. The postmaster kept some back for people he knew well. Still have it somewhere.

I was 14 and sat down to watch on our B&W TV with Dad and 2 brothers. Dad gave us all a can of Tennants, the one with a picture of a very pretty lady on it. My first ever bevvy - soon had to go to the loo and missed Haller scoring the first. Great Great day never forgotten.

It was years before I saw the game in colour.

Some really good articles now on the BBC site: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-35288841

Just spotted the 50 year old photo of the England fans with a ''Down with FIFA'' flag in the above article.

So 50 years ago today.

I recall the final vividly to the extent I can describe our lounge and where everyone sat. I was 12. I know my younger sister must have been there but have no memory of that.

Mum and Dad had no interest in football but watched. My uncle, grandfather - both avid football fans - and grandmother, no interest, came round as we had a telly.

My other abiding memory is getting a World Cup winners first day cover at the post office. The postmaster kept some back for people he knew well. Still have it somewhere.

It is also 70 years ago (today) that my Mum was married. Luckily she is still with us.

I also have my World Cup Winners First Day Cover. We watched the final through the window of a tv shop in Taunton on the way back from a family holiday in Devon. That was the days of pre-motorways and very few families have television sets.

I am also too young (born in 75) .. But I do remember vividly watching the whole game for the very first time on a portable black n white telly with my uncle and cousin in a caravan one night during the summer holidays in Blackpool , it may well have been 1986 as a 20 years anniversary so they showed the whole game again

'Goal' the 1966 movie is brilliant.

Of the 2 documentaries, I thought Sky's was far superior (strange as BBC usually excel at them).

I've watched the full game a couple of times.

Is it treason to say: I found it a bit drab and uneventful for long periods ?

And I'm someone who loves historical archive football.

We set off back home extra early from a family caravanning holiday to watch the final on TV.

My ole man got three tickets for the Final before the tournament started but raffled them off because he didn't think England had a chance.

'Goal' the 1966 movie is brilliant.

Of the 2 documentaries, I thought Sky's was far superior (strange as BBC usually excel at them).

I've watched the full game a couple of times.

Is it treason to say: I found it a bit drab and uneventful for long periods ?

And I'm someone who loves historical archive football.

I didn't know about the Sky documentary before seeing your post and by great good fortune I can see it via S1 tonight just after 4 pm your time, so many thanks for the ups on this.

I have already seen the BBC one and enjoyed that.

I must look around for a copy of Goal, years since I saw it and that was way after it was made. I think 'Goal' was the first time I'd seen any of the game in colour. I've now got a complete copy of the game on my PC but it's in B&W, still watch it though.

I remember it well, it was the first year that I'd got interested in football, I was 15 and my 10 year old brother got banned from the Living Room during the final as everytime he came in to the room, Germany scored.

Really enjoyed watching 'The Boys of '66' and it led me on to doing a search on the unlucky man of '66, Jimmy Greaves.

I found this interview of Jimmy with Brian Moore:

If you like football, seeing a genius in action and a very entertaining and revealing interview then take time out to watch it regardless of your age.

It is brilliant.

This is a good thread and a complete break from the drudgery of following Rovers.

Coming back from Vue in Blackburn, having watched Jason Bourne (good recommendation), started listening to R2's coverage which was great. Got home & started playing the official film of the tournament - it was like going back to a by-gone age - I was approaching my 3rd birthday so have no recollection, my eldest who doesn't like football found it fascinating as an historic piece, my youngest who supports us, thought it was the "olden times", bless him!

Eee, bring back flat caps, standing up, waving rattles, throwing your programme in the air at a goal, and the wet sponge. But don't bring back career ending tackles where the refs waved play on!!

The Whole Tournament coincided with the annual family holiday. We watched the opening game against Uruguay before setting off on an overnight drive to Bournemouth, I think it was a Monday night. The next two games against Mexico and France I watched with my granddad on a black and white telly through a shop window in Bournemouth. On the way back we had stopped off at relatives in Bristol and spent a week with them watching the games against Argentina and Portugal there. My most abiding memory was the Rattin sending off and the uproar it caused. On the day of the Final we didn't get home until nearly half time, although we had a transistor on in the car so we knew the score and I think we were on Longsight road when the first two goals went in. Happy days, think I have the first day cover somewhere and the tournament programme which was given to me by a neighbour who was a big Everton Fan Happy Days.

Hanks we must have been in Bournemouth at the same time. My parents had friends who ran a B & B at Ringwood and we spent the first fortnight of the 1966 World Cup there. I don't really remember too much about it tbh but my dad certainly did, as the B & B was one of the few places around that had a colour TV and the bar was incredibly popular during that month!

Hanks we must have been in Bournemouth at the same time. My parents had friends who ran a B & B at Ringwood and we spent the first fortnight of the 1966 World Cup there. I don't really remember too much about it tbh but my dad certainly did, as the B & B was one of the few places around that had a colour TV and the bar was incredibly popular during that month!

Dad got us a colour TV just in time for the 1970 WC. Trouble was I was 18 by then and there was a lass from East Kilbride on holiday visiting neighbours in my street and I took a shine to her. I remember her name, Roma. Watched all the games though!

Dad got us a colour TV just in time for the 1970 WC. Trouble was I was 18 by then and there was a lass from East Kilbride on holiday visiting neighbours in my street and I took a shine to her. I remember her name, Roma. Watched all the games though!

Small world, EK is where I work these days lol

Chrished memories, Hank and Jam fan.

Can you remember your thoughts when you saw games in Colour for the first time?

Must've been magical.

It was, but funnily enough seeing snooker in colour on tv was even more magical, for some reason!!

It was, but funnily enough seeing snooker in colour on tv was even more magical, for some reason!!

I remember Pot Black in black and white, didn't know what the hell was going on half the time :lol:

I remember Pot Black in black and white, didn't know what the hell was going on half the time :lol:

That's right, giving us the famous Ted Lowe quote of "For those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green" lol

And your wife is called Roma, OJF? ;)

Unfortunately our guest house did not have a telly but being only ten at the time i was put to the front of the crowd watching the match through the shop window, it must not have been on the radio because we also watched it without commentary/

Must've been magical.

And for those of you (still) watching in black and white Liverpool are the team with the white shorts :rover:

Unfortunately our guest house did not have a telly but being only ten at the time i was put to the front of the crowd watching the match through the shop window, it must not have been on the radio because we also watched it without commentary/

Were there no bricks available ^_^ Oh just remembered those were more innocent ties pre 70s/80s ^_^

Must've been magical.

The first game I remember seeing in colour was the 68 F A cup final and it was a cause of great excitement at the time . Bear in mind apart from international games the cup final was the only live domestic game shown on TV all year, A week or so later I remember watching the United Benfica game on a colour Tv in the School Hall as it coincided with the confirmation service at St Leonard's Langho. The first half was missed due to the service and I watched extra time at home in B&W. My Brother came home and was a bit despondent about United winning. I couldn't understand why he didn't want an English team to win and he said words to the effect of "They get too much publicity now and this will just make it worse. "

Archived