BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] A New 1St Team Coach !

Board meeting.

"So, how do we get Coyle past the fans then?"

"Hmm, tough one. We can't tell them it's because of the links he has to ahem, certain people. And the Burnley thing won't help."

"Look I've told you before, we're going to pretend they never existed and he never heard of them.As for Burnley, that's his best asset for getting the job - we've got a way of spinning the fans hostility against him as mere tribalism rather than genuine concerns."

"Sorry. Perhaps we can have Coyle meet the manager specification. Make it sound like a considered choice after an extensive search."

"What criteria does me meet, other than the ones we can't mention? His record's been... mixed of late."

"Track record of success in this division? He did it once - years ago and flopped everywhere since but he has done it. Once."

"Meh - good enough. Track record of success. What else?"

"Well FFP is the normal excuse we use."

"Good one. We're skint. Perhaps if we say we can't afford to hire a whole management structure, that would work. Work with the existing guys. They seem really popular along with that bothersome Lambert chap who kept asking for things. Budgets, communication, who does he think he is? Anyhow I digress, let's say he has to work with the existing coaching team."

"Yeah, that'll limit the options, and make Coyle look like a better choice. Hang on, they won't want to work with him, and doesn't OC want his own guys in?"

"Well yes. Obviously he wants his own guys. We'll just delay that side of things and start hinting to Rob and Alan that they may want to move to pastures new once OC has got his feet under the desk. A copy of the job ads in their in tray should do the trick."

"Seems like we've got it sorted then. I'll put out a statement in the Telegraph with the criteria for our managerial search."

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just read that Kelly was in the dugout on Sunday for the U23 game at Notts County and wonder if he has been marginalised by Coyle. Why would he be there when Johnson and Dunn hold the managerial positions and responsibilities for that group. I recently saw several senior managers leave where I used to work because they were marginalised by a horrible man. They had responsibilities taken away from them for no reason and left because they were essentially undermined. Pure speculation on my part but once again there is a strange whiff coming from Ewood and Brockhall.

Coyle was at Meadow Lane as well and was with Kelly before the game. Johnson and Dunny were taking the team and issuing instructions. Kelly chipped in with advice on various points during the game.

Indeed. If anyone can put a positive slant on this one they want their bumps feeling.

Cheston will be a hero in Pune for saving a couple of grand a year and Coyle has solidified his position by surrounding himself with allies for the bumpy ride ahead.

Strap yourselves in boys and girls, Captain Kea... I mean Coyle is at the controls....

I really do think people are simply looking for an excuse to have a go at Coyle for anything now. I don't remember people being up in arms about Hughes when he ditched Tony Parkes in the most appalling manner. Managers like to surround themselves with their own staff. Souness, Hughes, Ince, Allardyce, Appleton and Lambert have all done the same and there is no reason why Coyle shouldn't do likewise. I seem to recall Irvine more or less saying as much when asked to advise on the new manager and stated that whoever came in might well appoint their own staff. Kelly and Rosler have worked together before so it's understandable that Kelly would accept an offer to become the assistant head coach at Fleetwood.

I really do think people are simply looking for an excuse to have a go at Coyle for anything now. I don't remember people being up in arms about Hughes when he ditched Tony Parkes in the most appalling manner

Funnily enough Parson I did exactly that. In the local rag too and got an invite for discussion with JW for my troubles. For the record he was very apologetic about the whole situation and the bad feeling among supporters that it had caused. Bad comparison that if you don't mind me saying.

As for the Coyle baiting, if you read between the lines it's aimed at the club. Downsizing, cost cutting, lying, it's all there. In spades. However, if you want to dress up the replacement of the highly respected Kelly with Ayr United's 1st team coach then knock yourself out.

Funnily enough Parson I did exactly that. In the local rag too and got an invite for discussion with JW for my troubles. For the record he was very apologetic about the whole situation and the bad feeling among supporters that it had caused. Bad comparison that if you don't mind me saying.

As for the Coyle baiting, if you read between the lines it's aimed at the club. Downsizing, cost cutting, lying, it's all there. In spades. However, if you want to dress up the replacement of the highly respected Kelly with Ayr United's 1st team coach then knock yourself out.

Except that's not what Parson's saying as you well know. Football managerial posse's are notoriously incestuous..they know who they like to work with and their assistants/coaches etc tend to follow their managers around as you well know.

Nowhere did Parson make comment on this fella's ability or not, that's an entirely different discussion.

The point I was making was that Hughes wanted people he knew working with him. Thus he wanted - and got - Glynn Hodges to run the Reserves rather than Tony Parkes. Hodges has run the reserves wherever Hughes has been. Hence I have no problem with Coyle working with Hendry, someone he knows and trusts. At least it shows the manager has a free hand to appoint his own backroom staff which has to be a positive rather than having one thrust upon him.

I wonder how long it will be , before there is some serious Coyle baiting ?

Wigan is my guess ...

I wonder how long it will be , before there is some serious Coyle baiting ?

Wigan is my guess ...

I hope he gets at least ten games before the fans make a judgement! If it's getting vociferous by the Wigan game I'll be gutted!

Coyle was at Meadow Lane as well and was with Kelly before the game. Johnson and Dunny were taking the team and issuing instructions. Kelly chipped in with advice on various points during the game.

It's a highly unusual set of circumstances though PB. I personally have never heard of a first team coach in the Technical Area for a reserve game, let alone 'advising' the reserve team management. I believe it also grossly undermines Johnson and Dunn.

Irvine and Kelly have jumped ship before it sinks. And I don't blame them.

I don't know why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist about the day to day news about the Rovers.

We all KNOW that from Saturday 5pm we will be bottom of the league and remain there throughout the season.

Our club is a stinking mess and we're going down.

It makes me so angry.

The point I was making was that Hughes wanted people he knew working with him. Thus he wanted - and got - Glynn Hodges to run the Reserves rather than Tony Parkes. Hodges has run the reserves wherever Hughes has been. Hence I have no problem with Coyle working with Hendry, someone he knows and trusts. At least it shows the manager has a free hand to appoint his own backroom staff which has to be a positive rather than having one thrust upon him.

This is a really strange argument and ignores the discussion point.

NOBODY has a problem with a manager bringing in his own people. Ironically Lambert was the only Venkys appointment since Kean to be allowed to do so (although Kean's seemed more stage managed).

The issue is that one of the reasons we were asked to accept Coyle, a man nobody wanted and who wasn't shortlisted, was that the NEW manager would not be able to bring in his own men and would have to work with the existing team.

It would appear that wasn't quite true and that actually the issue was not to have to pay compo. Well that has been averted very neatly and the outgoings put down to normal happenstance, and "their choice to leave". Yet here we are. Somewhere other than where we should be, with the entire Lambert experiment scrapped at minimal cost and the new (unwanted, excuse-laden) manager and his team in place instead. Look how that happened.

It might have been mentioned but what I want to know is how come changes like this get an immediate ok yet signing players allegedly can't get a go ahead for love nor money ?

Once a coach is going another is in before the door has swung shut. Unless of course the stable supplying these doesn't need clearance :o

It's a highly unusual set of circumstances though PB. I personally have never heard of a first team coach in the Technical Area for a reserve game, let alone 'advising' the reserve team management. I believe it also grossly undermines Johnson and Dunn.

Johnson and Dunny seemed more than happy with the way it was going. The bond between Kelly and Johnson/Dunny is probably slightly different as Kelly was at the club with them earlier in his career. It's certainly not the first time that I've seen a first team coach getting involved in Reserve matches from the touchline.

It might have been mentioned but what I want to know is how come changes like this get an immediate ok yet signing players allegedly can't get a go ahead for love nor money ?

Once a coach is going another is in before the door has swung shut. Unless of course the stable supplying these doesn't need clearance :o

Great point.

NOBODY has a problem with a manager bringing in his own people. Ironically Lambert was the only Venkys appointment since Kean to be allowed to do so (although Kean's seemed more stage managed).

The issue is that one of the reasons we were asked to accept Coyle, a man nobody wanted and who wasn't shortlisted, was that the NEW manager would not be able to bring in his own men and would have to work with the existing team.

It would appear that wasn't quite true and that actually the issue was not to have to pay compo. Well that has been averted very neatly and the outgoings put down to normal happenstance, and "their choice to leave". Yet here we are. Somewhere other than where we should be, with the entire Lambert experiment scrapped at minimal cost and the new (unwanted, excuse-laden) manager and his team in place instead. Look how that happened.

I think you'll find that Appleton brought in his own staff as well as Lambert. As for how Coyle happened, it happened because Lambert walked and the club appointed a new manager.

I think you'll find that Appleton brought in his own staff as well as Lambert. As for how Coyle happened, it happened because Lambert walked and the club appointed a new manager.

I think you'll find that Lambert walking was as a result of the problem and not the cause of it. Both that and the appointment of Coyle are symptoms of our current illness: a really bad case of the Venkys.

Anybody else and I'd be saying 'wake up' but you know better Parson.

That's a cheap and unnecessary shot Parson.

Didnt Appleton and Bowyer bring in their own staff???

That's a cheap and unnecessary shot Parson.

If Lambert had stayed Coyle wouldn't be here - that's a fact. He couldn't work with the owners and so we have Coyle. Once Lambert left it was always going to be a cheap option. I think Lambert was the last roll of the dice for Venkys and they believed that Lambert would be able to guide us to the play-offs last season. It was never a realistic proposition and once Lambert started talking about this window being the time for major investment I think that's went Venkys started to backtrack and left him out on a limb. I think it is was around March when it became clear that Lambert was visibly less involved on the touchline, results went south and that was when I think Lambert decided he'd had enough.

If Lambert had stayed Coyle wouldn't be here - that's a fact. He couldn't work with the owners and so we have Coyle. Once Lambert left it was always going to be a cheap option. I think Lambert was the last roll of the dice for Venkys and they believed that Lambert would be able to guide us to the play-offs last season. It was never a realistic proposition and once Lambert started talking about this window being the time for major investment I think that's went Venkys started to backtrack and left him out on a limb. I think it is was around March when it became clear that Lambert was visibly less involved on the touchline, results went south and that was when I think Lambert decided he'd had enough.

Can't argue with that but how you remain so passive and objective when all this is happening to the club you love is a mystery.

Lambert leaving was a major alarm bell ringing and indeed the fins straw for another few thousand fans.

Archived