Brexit

How many bottles do you want Jim,

we can deliver

Coming out of Brexit and the fall in pound doesn't that mean we need to be making and delivering our own home made products and not imported products or are we just going to sink further and further into the debtors arms and be that financial prisoner? Edited by JAL

Coming out of Brexit and the fall in pound doesn't that mean we need to be making and delivering our own home made products and not imported products or are we just going to sink further and further into the debtors arms and be that financial prisoner?

what?

Should we be peddling foreign goods right now instead of creating our own !

Seems to me like Brexiteers want the foreign goods but not the foreigners.

you mean like a bogof, buy a BMW and an immigrant thrown in for free!

I think you will find that Brexiteers want to trade globally, not just limited to the new version of the old USSR.

Maybe it's in the small print if you buy a Tuk Tuk it comes with a driver

Edited by yoda

Legal wrangling was always going to ensue. There are no rules for leaving the EU.

Not sure why the :) , den. British democracy is being decided in the courts by highly paid lawyers - almost certainly being funded by the banking industry and rich London-centric elite.

Court rules that Theresa May cannot trigger article 50 without going through Parliament. Pound rises 1% against the dollar on the news.

:)

A minor delay only. If Parliament were to go against the expressed wishes of the people there would have to be resignations and a general election.

Not sure why the :) , den. British democracy is being decided in the courts by highly paid lawyers - almost certainly being funded by the banking industry and rich London-centric elite.

Absolutely wrong Stuart. The judgement says only parliament can give the people their rights and only parliament can take them away. Triggering article 50 (apparently) takes away all our rights. It isn't for a small minority of conservatives to trigger article 50, it's for parliament to do it. That's democracy in action and should be welcomed by all of us surely?

I think you will find that Brexiteers want to trade globally, not just limited to the new version of the old USSR.

Ridiculous statement. Comparing the EU to the USSR is silly and we already trade "globally" - and have done for centuries.

Good to see the High Court give the government a lesson in democracy today. May and Fox said they were "disappointed" by the decision - I'll bet they were - spitting feathers more like. Now will MPs who overwhelmingly want to remain do the right thing for the good of the country?

A minor delay only. If Parliament were to go against the expressed wishes of the people there would have to be resignations and a general election.

Exactly- that is what we want in order to reverse this nonsense.

This is what's called parliamentary democracy. It's the system that I thought we had in the UK but was beginning to doubt.

Delighted by the ruling.

The key for me was the legal advice given by the speaker's office prior to the vote in Parliament on whether to hold the referendum.

It was that the referendum was only advisory and that the outcome would be subject to subsequent legislation in Parliament.

If the referendum were posed as being binding on Parliament there would not have been the votes in Parliament for a referendum to be held.

Absolutely wrong Stuart. The judgement says only parliament can give the people their rights and only parliament can take them away. Triggering article 50 (apparently) takes away all our rights. It isn't for a small minority of conservatives to trigger article 50, it's for parliament to do it. That's democracy in action and should be welcomed by all of us surely?

No, that would be a vote by the electorate.

All future referendums become null and void if this is overturned. All future elections will be very poorly attended too.

I maintain that this is very bad day for British democracy. Parliament deciding on what rights we should have AFTER a vote that they don't agree with? That's clucking brilliant. A judge overrules the elected leader of the country? Very probably one who voted Remain. That's not democracy.

Why would the judge very probably have voted Remain? More people voted to Leave.

I don't see how this will ultimately change anything apart from dragging it out. How can a politician go against the wishes of their own local constituents and expect to survive? The majority will just mirror what their voters voted for, even if it conflicts with their own views. Expect "the will of the public" to be even more quoted in 2017 than this year.

No, that would be a vote by the electorate.

All future referendums become null and void if this is overturned. All future elections will be very poorly attended too.

I maintain that this is very bad day for British democracy. Parliament deciding on what rights we should have AFTER a vote that they don't agree with? That's clucking brilliant. A judge overrules the elected leader of the country? Very probably one who voted Remain. That's not democracy.

The leader of the country doesn't make legislation, parliament does.

Or another Referendum. I think that is pretty nailed on. Also totally justifiable as the first referendum was made without any view of what the detail looks like, second time round we will be better informed.

Ridiculous statement. Comparing the EU to the USSR is silly and we already trade "globally" - and have done for centuries.

Good to see the High Court give the government a lesson in democracy today. May and Fox said they were "disappointed" by the decision - I'll bet they were - spitting feathers more like. Now will MPs who overwhelmingly want to remain do the right thing for the good of the country?

The remoaners may have got it wrong tactically, they could and still can call the Government to the House of Commons to debate leaving the EU any time they can command the support to do so.

The Government is appealing to the Supreme court which is likely to over turn today's ruling as the High Court should not get involved in the democratic process.

Today's ruling does not mean that leaving the EU is in doubt either as the ruling is about the House of commons debating the manner of exit from the EU.

The problem for the remoaners is, if the ruling is over turned, they have no where to go next and they have handed the process completely over to the Government.

Jim threatening countries with armeggedon if they leave the club sounds very like the old USSR to me.

The remoaners may have got it wrong tactically, they could and still can call the Government to the House of Commons to debate leaving the EU any time they can command the support to do so.

The Government is appealing to the Supreme court which is likely to over turn today's ruling as the High Court should not get involved in the democratic process.

Today's ruling does not mean that leaving the EU is in doubt either as the ruling is about the House of commons debating the manner of exit from the EU.

The problem for the remoaners is, if the ruling is over turned, they have no where to go next and they have handed the process completely over to the Government.

Jim threatening countries with armeggedon if they leave the club sounds very like the old USSR to me.

The High Court decision should be welcomed because it puts parliament centre stage and enables Brexit to be driven by sovereign parliament rather than ministers using executive powers. It's called "taking back control".

Some members of the EU have said Britain cannot expect to leave the club and then cherry pick the terms for a continuing trade relationship. Sounds entirely reasonable to me - and not "Armegeddon".

The High Court decision should be welcomed because it puts parliament centre stage and enables Brexit to be driven by sovereign parliament rather than ministers using executive powers. It's called "taking back control".

Some members of the EU have said Britain cannot expect to leave the club and then cherry pick the terms for a continuing trade relationship. Sounds entirely reasonable to me - and not "Armegeddon".

Maybe you should re read the referendum vote paper which Parliament agreed on 6 to 1

This is what the Government paper said

"The referendum on Thursday, 23rd June is your chance to decide if we should remain in or leave the European Union. The Government believes it is in the best interests of the UK to remain in the EU. This is the way to protect jobs, provide security, and strengthen the UK’s economy for every family in this country – a clear path into the future, in contrast to the uncertainty of leaving. This is your decision. The Government will implement what you decide. If you’re aged 18 or over by 23rd June and are entitled to vote, this is your chance to decide."

Edited by yoda

Let's see how the Supreme Court goes. The advice given to MPs cannot be re-written...

Been a stinker of a week.

A British multinational pulled its plans for an international investment saying that the outlook is so uncertain they have decided to stay in cash as much as they can. The decline in the £ making the project over 20% more expensive certainly did not help. But the horrible news is that this company is not expanding creating jobs in the UK or anywhere else primarily because their contingency planning after the referendum assumed continuing membership of the single market. Now they think the single market is at serious risk so they are factoring in suppliers and customers as well as themselves being clobbered by the re-introduction of border and trade controls.

Such a development doesn't have to be the most likely outcome, just a reasonably likely worst case with the result most businesses will have to develop scenarios calculating the impact of such a case.

Then a non-European company called off the acquisition of a British company in a transaction I had been working on. The head of the would-be buyer simply said "anyone has to be mad to put money into the UK now." He had been watching what happened with Mark Carney and concluded the UK Government is too incompetent to deliver a successful Brexit. If Theresa May was so easily pushed around by the Governor of the Bank of England, she doesn't stand a chance when facing the real politicians of the European Commission and the EU27. A minor irritant but still an irritant, the principals of this business are hugely unamused by having to pay £1400 each to apply for a long term UK visa and are livid at the time they have had to spend personally getting the visas.

I am hugely relieved that in the face of investments involving the UK dropping, the work from "Brexit refugees"- British companies and institutions staying in the EU- is growing very rapidly.

All in all, it is looking increasingly grim for the UK with real strength (particularly entrepreneurial high tech) heading out. If any one city establishes itself as the go to base for fleeing UK businesses from any one sector, I think the current trickle of businesses leaving the UK will become a torrent.

The only practical question about Brexit is how much pain and damage to the UK economy will it have to inflict before it is quietly ditched?

Maybe you should re read the referendum vote paper which Parliament agreed on 6 to 1

This is what the Government paper said

"The referendum on Thursday, 23rd June is your chance to decide if we should remain in or leave the European Union. The Government believes it is in the best interests of the UK to remain in the EU. This is the way to protect jobs, provide security, and strengthen the UK’s economy for every family in this country – a clear path into the future, in contrast to the uncertainty of leaving. This is your decision. The Government will implement what you decide. If you’re aged 18 or over by 23rd June and are entitled to vote, this is your chance to decide."

The Government was not entitled to say that by its own legislation which enabled the referendum to be held.

Edited by philipl

It's laughable really - before June 23 Brexiteers banged on about democracy and how parliament should be "sovereign". Now they are up in arms because the High Court has ruled that parliament is sovereign and a vote is needed before Article 50 can go ahead. Don't they see the hypocrisy of their position?

Let's see how the Supreme Court goes. The advice given to MPs cannot be re-written...

Been a stinker of a week.

A British multinational pulled its plans for an international investment saying that the outlook is so uncertain they have decided to stay in cash as much as they can. The decline in the £ making the project over 20% more expensive certainly did not help. But the horrible news is that this company is not expanding creating jobs in the UK or anywhere else primarily because their contingency planning after the referendum assumed continuing membership of the single market. Now they think the single market is at serious risk so they are factoring in suppliers and customers as well as themselves being clobbered by the re-introduction of border and trade controls.

Such a development doesn't have to be the most likely outcome, just a reasonably likely worst case with the result most businesses will have to develop scenarios calculating the impact of such a case.

Then a non-European company called off the acquisition of a British company in a transaction I had been working on. The head of the would-be buyer simply said "anyone has to be mad to put money into the UK now." He had been watching what happened with Mark Carney and concluded the UK Government is too incompetent to deliver a successful Brexit. If Theresa May was so easily pushed around by the Governor of the Bank of England, she doesn't stand a chance when facing the real politicians of the European Commission and the EU27. A minor irritant but still an irritant, the principals of this business are hugely unamused by having to pay £1400 each to apply for a long term UK visa and are livid at the time they have had to spend personally getting the visas.

I am hugely relieved that in the face of investments involving the UK dropping, the work from "Brexit refugees"- British companies and institutions staying in the EU- is growing very rapidly.

All in all, it is looking increasingly grim for the UK with real strength (particularly entrepreneurial high tech) heading out. If any one city establishes itself as the go to base for fleeing UK businesses from any one sector, I think the current trickle of businesses leaving the UK will become a torrent.

The only practical question about Brexit is how much pain and damage to the UK economy will it have to inflict before it is quietly ditched?

As I said above, the remoaners may have painted themselves into a corner, the Supreme court will be key

• Guest changed the title to Brexit
  • Paul locked this topic
  • Paul unlocked this topic
  • Guest featured and unfeatured this topic