Petrol prices are affected by Brexit - It's not the only factor, but it is a factor. It is undeniable that the weakness in the Pound against the US Dollar caused by Brexit affects the price of oil which is priced in Dollars. You obviously don't know when your are wrong, only when you are right, which seems to be a common fallacy among the Brexiteers !

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jim mk2

• philipl

• den

• 47er

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simply put, without the NHS: I'd never have been born (I'm an IVF baby). I'd have died in the womb (as did the triplets I was supposed to be part of). I'd have died at some point immedi

I didn't really want to get involved in this thread again, as emotions are very high, but I can't stand by and continue to be abused without putting my side across.  I'll try and quantify my view

And I’m going to have a Spanish beer from a Belgian glass, wearing an Italian band t-shirt ordered from a German website, and listening to some Bulgarian europop. You and the rest can stick Brexi

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

It is undeniable that the weakness in the Pound against the US Dollar caused by Brexit affects the price of oil which is priced in Dollars.

That's true - BUT you're then making the assumption that those exchange rate fluctuations are passed onto consumers at the pumps.  When you look at the data, that assumption doesn't fit.

And you're making assumptions that the historically benevolent Oil companies have not passed on a 15% increase in the price of Oil - I fully expect them to - From the PDF linked here

http://www.ukpia.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/ukpia-briefing-paper-understanding-pump-prices-2017.pdf

"Historically, crude prices have worked through to product prices and, as an indication, a $2 per barrel change in the price of crude oil has, on average, translated to approximately 1p per litre in the pump price, at a constant $/£ exchange rate."

On a 15% increase in Barrel price @ $60 because of exchange rate fluctuations,  would give a 4.5p increase

Now I can't see that change because I don't have the technical expertise to sift the data from all the other noise associated with the pump price of petrol, but I'm sure you can offer evidence that disproves me.

Edited by Jimbo
9 hours ago, Rover-the-Top said:

I don't know it all but I do know when I'm right and when to back down... ?What you should be  thinking is why you're still trying to argue when you disproved your own argument yourself a couple of posts ago.  Obviously you know you've got no comeback, that's why you're suddenly avoiding the points I've made and getting personal instead.     There are and will be negative impacts in some areas because of Brexit. If and when they're raised, I won't argue because there won't be a credible argument to put forward.  But when you're all taking the stance that every single thing is bad because of Brexit, it just makes it easy to pick the moments you're talking nonsense. Like with petrol prices...

Fuel prices have increased because there has been a fall in the value of the pound - which is related to market uncertainty around Brexit; yes other factors are also at play like we discussed. Saying prices don't always follow the value of the pound, therefore your whole hypothesis is wrong is wrong in itself. Both things can be true at the same time.

As for the getting personal part, I think you should read back. It's you who started with the guardian reading know it all stuff, and telling me I have no comeback. I could have called you a daily mail reading bigot, but chose not to, as I don't know you, and wouldn't want to insult you.

However, if you can't accept that the value of the pound has an affect on imports of fuel, then I'd call into question your impartiality when looking at the effects of Brexit, negative or positive.

Land Rover Jaguar chief telling it as it is. If there’s friction at the ports, he won’t be able to run his business. Tens of thousands of jobs at risk. 

This guy isn’t a politician, he’s a businessman. I worked in the vehicle manufacturing business. Mark my words - the moment they can’t work and produce vehicles at full capacity, they WILL lay workers off and if it lasts any length of time, they WILL close their factories. They certainly won’t take huge losses for long.

Time to stop this unnecessary madness now.

We are heading for a crisis which, outside of war, very few people in the UK have experienced. If there is no agreement there can be no rules and suddenly we end up with an unregulated free for all.

The only upside being if we crash out of the EU it should destroy the Tories for a generation. Sadly though we don't have anyone competent to replace them!

Edited by Paul
On 07/09/2018 at 15:05, Jimbo said:

Now I can't see that change because I don't have the technical expertise to sift the data from all the other noise associated with the pump price of petrol, but I'm sure you can offer evidence that disproves me.

So that's two of you who've now adopted the same point I'm making in an attempt to argue with me.  It's an unusually approach, but I'm not going to even attempt to disprove myself...?Obviously on a day-to-day basis, imports priced in dollars are affected by fluctuations in the exchange rate.  But we weren't talking about if oil is more expensive for the petrol companies to buy.  The question was whether the big rise in pump prices this year was down to Brexit. As you say, the effect of the exchange rate is lost in the "noise" from other factors - that was my point.  And as Baz pointed out, the rise was actually to do with a more permanent oil price rise which was nothing to do with Brexit.   Between the two of you, you've explained why Brexit isn't the reason why petrol prices have gone up...

No, you're twisting things - What I said was there has been at least a 4.5p increase in the pump price of fuel directly attributable to Brexit, what you are saying is Brexit has had no effect. I never insisted other factors don't have an affect on pump prices, just that Brexit has already cost me money directly.

8 hours ago, Rover-the-Top said:

So that's two of you who've now adopted the same point I'm making in an attempt to argue with me.  It's an unusually approach, but I'm not going to even attempt to disprove myself...?Obviously on a day-to-day basis, imports priced in dollars are affected by fluctuations in the exchange rate.  But we weren't talking about if oil is more expensive for the petrol companies to buy.  The question was whether the big rise in pump prices this year was down to Brexit. As you say, the effect of the exchange rate is lost in the "noise" from other factors - that was my point.  And as Baz pointed out, the rise was actually to do with a more permanent oil price rise which was nothing to do with Brexit.   Between the two of you, you've explained why Brexit isn't the reason why petrol prices have gone up...

Yawn.

On 12/09/2018 at 07:07, Paul said:

We are heading for a crisis which, outside of war, very few people in the UK have experienced. If there is no agreement there can be no rules and suddenly we end up with an unregulated free for all.

The only upside being if we crash out of the EU it should destroy the Tories for a generation. Sadly though we don't have anyone competent to replace them!

potd-corbyn_3457949b.jpg

The time when people became less dependent on their nasty planet polluting cars is long overdue.  There are already far too many cars on the road, even in a small town like Blackburn the traffic is simply appalling compared to how it used to be. What's happened to the spirit of 95? (and Stanworth Woods). Surely less of these nasty things would be good for humanity. Think of the children . . .

Brexit, brought to you by rees mogg. The same fella who wants an expeditionary force to go to the Falklands, just in case the war kicks off again. Who wants a star wars system for the UK, just like the one Roald Reagan wanted for the US, at a time when he was deteriorating mentally. 

It would be funny if it wasn't so serious. 

Where Boris the dosser gone? Farage, gove, Johnson, rees mogg. The one thing they all have in common (besides being tossers) is that they've never taken any responsibility for their brexit wet dream. They've stood on the sidelines jeering as other people have had the impossible job of making a success out of a hopeless throwback deluded half-baked fantasy. Typical of people who've never had to operate in the real world, who've let other people deal with the consequences of their selfish nonsense. 

The whole thing is nauseating

12 hours ago, Husky said:

The time when people became less dependent on their nasty planet polluting cars is long overdue.  There are already far too many cars on the road, even in a small town like Blackburn the traffic is simply appalling compared to how it used to be. What's happened to the spirit of 95? (and Stanworth Woods). Surely less of these nasty things would be good for humanity. Think of the children . . .

Breed horses do you Husky? Prefer horse shit everywhere instead of petrol fumes or the coal and gas fumes or nuclear waste to produce fuel for electric cars.

14 hours ago, broadsword said:

Brexit, brought to you by rees mogg. The same fella who wants an expeditionary force to go to the Falklands, just in case the war kicks off again. Who wants a star wars system for the UK, just like the one Roald Reagan wanted for the US, at a time when he was deteriorating mentally. 

It would be funny if it wasn't so serious. 

Where Boris the dosser gone? Farage, gove, Johnson, rees mogg. The one thing they all have in common (besides being tossers) is that they've never taken any responsibility for their brexit wet dream. They've stood on the sidelines jeering as other people have had the impossible job of making a success out of a hopeless throwback deluded half-baked fantasy. Typical of people who've never had to operate in the real world, who've let other people deal with the consequences of their selfish nonsense. 

The whole thing is nauseating

Rees-Moggs ERG group showed their true colours this week, firstly they refused to publish their Brexit proposal, because they didn't want it to be scrutinised. Secondly they have begun the process of collecting signatures to remove May. 

Also see that Vote Leave have been found to be acting unlawfully by the high court, and the Electoral Commission guilty of both failing to apply the rules fairly and equally and guilty of failure to investigate the Vote Leave campaign after complaints where made.

Rees-Mogg, Johnson and co. have no plan at all. Their aim is to take the Tory party to a really hard, uncaring right wing philosophy that lines their pockets. The country's future is irrelevant to them since they'll hide all their money in Panama, Bermuda or somewhere like that, and just dismiss any worries about a no deal Brexit as project fear. If the Irish border issue really revived the IRA and bombings, they won't care. Dead plebs don't count, only their ambitions and hunger to return to the worst aspects of Victorian Britain do.

The Chequers plan is a bit of a mess, but at least it is something solid, real and has substance. The ERG have offered nothing.

On 15/09/2018 at 10:30, Al said:

Breed horses do you Husky? Prefer horse shit everywhere instead of petrol fumes or the coal and gas fumes or nuclear waste to produce fuel for electric cars.

That might be a good idea actually. I'd take horses and the fresh smell of manure over a Dementia diagnosis any day of the week.

• 2 weeks later...

So an end to freedom of movement for all Brits.

That means my Maltese Residence card becomes much more useful for travel than my British passport.

At present, a British passport is 2nd only to a German passport for freedom of travel around the world.

After Brexit, a British passport will drop to around 40th. A Maltese passport will move up to 4th=...

Edited by philipl
6 hours ago, philipl said:

So an end to freedom of movement for all Brits.

That means my Maltese Residence card becomes much more useful for travel than my British passport.

At present, a British passport is 2nd only to a German passport for freedom of travel around the world.

After Brexit, a British passport will drop to around 40th. A Maltese passport will move up to 4th=...

Citizens of the world not wanted Philip.

Xenophobes only from next March

7 hours ago, philipl said:

That should see a spike in those "special" Maltese property and passport deals to certain Eastern European "businessmen" .

Edited by perthblue02
11 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

That should see a spike in those "special" Maltese property and passport deals to certain Eastern European "businessmen" .

And a drop in sales of British passports for "investments" from laundered money

For pensioners it's massive, currently your pension is exactly the same as the UK pension and is index linked, but if you retire to a non-EU country your pension is frozen at the rate you are paid when you left the country. - So retire to Spain and get gradually poorer.

Also Reciprocal health care - If that ends with no deal then you are looking at massive health insurance costs

https://www.moneyobserver.com/our-analysis/how-will-brexit-affect-expats

Edited by Jimbo
updated
  • Guest changed the title to Brexit
  • Guest featured and unfeatured this topic