Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

Dear Prime Minister,

We will now, it is clear, leave the EU. Those who did not want this have lost. I understand you believe this to be in the national interest and that you have a democratic mandate for it. But I hope you can understand that for me, and my fellow signatories, it will involve a profound wrench. We will experience it as the loss of an important part of our identity.

So I write to ask you, respectfully, to take up an initiative your predecessor declined to support in your negotiations on our future relationship with the EU. The initiative is for a form of Associate Citizenship – for those who want it. It will not hinder your negotiations but it would be a hugely significant olive branch to us.

For you to take up the initiative would be the act of a statesman, it is precisely what bringing the country together looks like.

With kind regards,

Jolyon Maugham QC, and the following signatories.

 

 

 

What does that mean?

Doesn't want to pay 7 euros every three years and spend 5 minutes having to queue up per visit having his passport checked on his weekend visits to his chateau in Tuscany and wants his kids conscripted into the Empires army when the time comes?

Guy (I want a EU Empire and EU Army ) Verhofstadt is pushing it as well link , 

 

 

 

Edited by perthblue02
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • philipl

    1677

  • jim mk2

    1660

  • den

    1274

  • 47er

    1104

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simply put, without the NHS: I'd never have been born (I'm an IVF baby). I'd have died in the womb (as did the triplets I was supposed to be part of). I'd have died at some point immedi

The Tories didn't drag us out of the EU to strengthen workers rights for gods sake - What planet are you on ?

And I’m going to have a Spanish beer from a Belgian glass, wearing an Italian band t-shirt ordered from a German website, and listening to some Bulgarian europop. You and the rest can stick Brexi

Posted Images

Couple of cheap shots there.

Seems a decent man with a decent objective.

Does he have a weekend chateau in Tuscany?

Does he want an EU army?

How about playing the ball not the man?

What's actually wrong with his suggestion?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, 47er said:

Couple of cheap shots there.

Seems a decent man with a decent objective.

Does he have a weekend chateau in Tuscany?

Does he want an EU army?

How about playing the ball not the man?

What's actually wrong with his suggestion?

 

No idea hence the question mark. As for the man, done nothing but try to undermine the democratic vote and just another sneaky way of trying to undermine  it further. Now if he had requested to an easy way to revoke UK citizenship to be become a  EU citizen, that would be a better proposal which I'm sure nobody would object to,

As for the suggestion, Pretty obvious with sneaky Verhofstadt  in support of it  the EU are going to use it to their advantage, probably going to request associate  UK citizenship in return , so lets say 20 million associate EU citizenships (leave vote plus a few million more) in return for 450 million associate UK citizenships, doesn't sound a good deal to me.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, perthblue02 said:

No idea hence the question mark.

Laughable. Its a snobby slur that's all. You've made a reflection about him with no idea of the truth of it. 

You fit in well with the recent campaign.

As for the idea itself, where do you get the idea that 450 Million Europeans want to live here?

Europeans are leaving in droves and who can blame them? 

Edited by 47er
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 47er said:

Laughable. Its a snobby slur that's all. You've made a reflection about him with no idea of the truth of it. 

You fit in well with the recent campaign.

As for the idea itself, where do you get the idea that 450 Million Europeans want to live here?

Europeans are leaving in droves and who can blame them? 

A snobby slur ? It was a light hearted comment on what seems to be a big issue amongst those that wish to remain part of the EU, not being able to swan around the EU without passport checks and  having to pay for a visa, and  I am sure that Mr Magaum would be the first to run to the courts to prevent his children or grand children's  conscription to the future EU army if he successfully acquires EU citizenship.

I don't think that 450 million EU citizens want to live in the UK, but it would not surprise me if that is a condition used by the EU negotiators, some of them are acting like smacked arses again, once realisation set in after last Thursday that all their efforts to disrupt Brexit have failed.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

And the average European  is still laughing at us and incredulous that we've chosen to leave. I'm in Austria as I said earlier and they can't believe it. 

And my grandchildren would currently be liable to be conscripted into a European army were conscription to happen as they are German. It's not about swanning around Europe. It's about the choice to move, live and work anywhere in Europe, which has been my right as an EU member for all my adult life, being denied to the current generations and those to come. You may not wish to avail yourself of the opportunities the EU affords but it seems to me wrong to deny those opportunities to others. I'm doing my swanning now while I can but that really isn't what my opposition to Brexit is about. It's about closed minds and narrowed horizons. I've fought all my adult life to open childrens minds to possibilities and now, because of the blinkered attitude of many old people opportunities are being closed to younger generations. It's wrong on so many fronts but you choose to concentrate on the potential negative of a European army

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to be part of any European Army. We can stand on our own feet. We don't need the EU. 

many old people? what an insulting comments. 

There is nothing stopping people working overseas at all just like there is nothing stopping people from overseas working here as long as it a skill we need. Just like Australia points based system.

 

Edited by chaddyrovers
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

Doesn't want to pay 7 euros every three years and spend 5 minutes having to queue up per visit having his passport checked on his weekend visits to his chateau in Tuscany and wants his kids conscripted into the Empires army when the time comes?

Guy (I want a EU Empire and EU Army ) Verhofstadt is pushing it as well link , 

 

 

 

Well if folk are that unhappy they can move to Europe then, otherwise stop moaning!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't want to be part of any European Army. We can still on our own feet. We don't need the EU. 

many old people? what an insulting comments. 

There is nothing stopping people working overseas at all just like there is nothing stopping people from overseas working here as long as it a skill we need. Just like Australia points based system.

 

I thought you'd hurt your foot ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Chaddy, the polls show, you know, those polls you love so much, that the older you were , the more likely it was you voted leave in the referendum and Tory in the recent election. That's fact,  not opinion. And my point is, I shouldn't have to move abroad to have the enormous benefits of being a European citizen. Most other countries can see no problem with being a confident citizen of their own country and of Europe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gumboots said:

Chaddy, the polls show, you know, those polls you love so much, that the older you were , the more likely it was you voted leave in the referendum and Tory in the recent election. That's fact,  not opinion. And my point is, I shouldn't have to move abroad to have the enormous benefits of being a European citizen. Most other countries can see no problem with being a confident citizen of their own country and of Europe.

Well the referendum result was clear. Leave won. 

We leave in 12 months. 

Know plenty of young people(under 35) who voted to leave

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the other major funders of the EU are considering their next step (not publicly of course, they need to appear together for the gullible public).

Germany on the edge of recession surely will not continue to spend so much more to bail out the likes of Greece, Spain, Italy, Portugal and probably most of the ex eastern block countries.

Something has got to give and I do not buy that all is Rosy with the likes of France and Germany.

Only a thought, but I think there may be a lot of Europeans that may well be envious that we've managed to get out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well the referendum result was clear. Leave won. 

We leave in 12 months. 

Know plenty of young people(under 35) who voted to leave

I didn't say nobody younger voted leave or tory. Just that older people were more likely to have done so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Doug said:

I wonder if the other major funders of the EU are considering their next step (not publicly of course, they need to appear together for the gullible public).

Germany on the edge of recession surely will not continue to spend so much more to bail out the likes of Greece, Spain, Italy, Portugal and probably most of the ex eastern block countries.

Something has got to give and I do not buy that all is Rosy with the likes of France and Germany.

Only a thought, but I think there may be a lot of Europeans that may well be envious that we've managed to get out.

This is a great point, I agree.  Us leaving will signal the end of this charade with a bit of luck.  Greece can have their drachma back and they can realign their own economy etc, 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderation Lead
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I see Nigel Evan's won his seat by big majority.

More working class people voted for Brexit and Tories

Nigel Evans always wins his seat by a big majority, that’s hardly earth shattering news.

Edited by K-Hod
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't want to be part of any European Army. We can stand on our own feet. We don't need the EU. 

many old people? what an insulting comments. 

There is nothing stopping people working overseas at all just like there is nothing stopping people from overseas working here as long as it a skill we need. Just like Australia points based system.

 

Stand on our own two feet? British Army regulars total 146,000. I doubt all of those are fighting personnel. At Dunkirk 225,000 were evacuated. 

China - 2,000,000

USA - 1,500,000

Russia - 1,000,000

Of course that forgets one of our lads is worth ten of theirs.

As @gumbootshas already pointed out a very significant number of my generation voted leave. Something I find embarrassing and selfish. With luck many of them will stay in Spain. They're going to find it damned hard to return.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand Chaddys desire to look after his own, but for me, looking after my own also requires looking after the community I live in. 

 

Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.

Said back in the 18th century but still as relevant now as then. I dont trust Johnson and co one inch and I certainly dont think this is a motto the Tory hierarchy live by. 

Edited by gumboots
Typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well the referendum result was clear. Leave won. 

We leave in 12 months. 

Know plenty of young people(under 35) who voted to leave

 

I was 32 at the time when i voted leave in the referendum and i still haven't changed my mind

Edited by andyroversmad
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Paul said:

Stand on our own two feet? British Army regulars total 146,000. I doubt all of those are fighting personnel. At Dunkirk 225,000 were evacuated. 

China - 2,000,000

USA - 1,500,000

Russia - 1,000,000

Of course that forgets one of our lads is worth ten of theirs.

As @gumbootshas already pointed out a very significant number of my generation voted leave. Something I find embarrassing and selfish. With luck many of them will stay in Spain. They're going to find it damned hard to return.

When I said standing on our own feet I wasn't talking armed forces number but us as a country we can stand on our own feet, Be in charge of our own laws and make them. Take charge of our borders, Grow our economy for everyone. 

 

Just now, andyroversmad said:

 

I was 32 at the time when i voted leave in the referendum and i still haven't changed my mind

I would the same now as I did then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

When I said standing on our own feet I wasn't talking armed forces number but us as a country we can stand on our own feet, Be in charge of our own laws and make them. Take charge of our borders, Grow our economy for everyone. 

 

I would the same now as I did then. 

The last figure I saw showed our Parliament approved 93% of laws passed in the UK.

The EU does not make our laws.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, andyroversmad said:

 

I was 32 at the time when i voted leave in the referendum and i still haven't changed my mind

Again you're missing the point. The fact is that a higher proportion of older voters voted to leave. Remain vote was stronger among younger people. Nobody said that NO young people voted leave or NO older people voted Remain. Most of the older people on here voted remain to start with. It's about a general trend. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

When I said standing on our own feet I wasn't talking armed forces number but us as a country we can stand on our own feet, Be in charge of our own laws and make them. Take charge of our borders, Grow our economy for everyone. 

 

I would the same now as I did then. 

We already are in control of our borders. We're not in schengen. Yes there's free movement if people, but that's a two way street

The country came close to starving to death in world war two because of the Atlantic convoys getting sunk. There's no way we can be self sufficient, without suffering greatly. 

 

But still, if it doesn't affect you and yours directly then it's clear that you just don't care, do you? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.