Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Even if it all goes to poo for everyone except those vulture capitalists you hear about there will be many brexiteers acting all smug as they've 'won' despite losing employment rights,lower wages, having fracking companies polluting their water and that sort of thing. They'll be as graceless, crass and stupid as that Mark Francois. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • jim mk2

    1710

  • philipl

    1677

  • den

    1310

  • 47er

    1147

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simply put, without the NHS: I'd never have been born (I'm an IVF baby). I'd have died in the womb (as did the triplets I was supposed to be part of). I'd have died at some point immedi

I didn't really want to get involved in this thread again, as emotions are very high, but I can't stand by and continue to be abused without putting my side across.  I'll try and quantify my view

And I’m going to have a Spanish beer from a Belgian glass, wearing an Italian band t-shirt ordered from a German website, and listening to some Bulgarian europop. You and the rest can stick Brexi

Posted Images

Unlike the British Government, the EU is very  transparent.

Once UK is out of the EU, there is a massive shift in EU mindset as they are no longer negotiating with a member.

This slide deck shows the consequences

 https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/seminar-20200113-fta_en_0.pdf

Oh and the UK has suddenly woken up to the fact that 80% of the economy services so Johnson wants 

- a trade deal 

- and a services deal

- by 31 July this year

The answer is yes he can have them. Here is a final draft already prepared by Michel Barnier:

Dear UK, 

This protocol repeats what we did to achieve the Boris Exit Deal in October 2019.

1) You set an impossible deadline and ask us for the impossible

2) We tell you what the deal is

3) You cave in and agree to everything we want

4) We keep quiet about the Boris deal being better for EU and worse for the UK than the May deal was

5) And as a special bonus now you are no longer in the EU, the EU sets all the future rules and the UK has no say and simply sucks it up.

OK?

That's your 31 July 2020 deal.

Love and Kisses

The EU

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, philipl said:

Unlike the British Government, the EU is very  transparent.

Very funny Philip,  why have they not filed their accounts then?  Transparent my arse. You're a funny guy . Is Malta so boring that you have to bore everyone with your cut and paste one-sided propaganda all day long ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Very funny Philip,  why have they not filed their accounts then?  Transparent my arse. You're a funny guy . Is Malta so boring that you have to bore everyone with your cut and paste one-sided propaganda all day long ?

Accounts are filed and fully audited.

I had no idea you have a transparent arse.

Silent and invisible farts. You must be popular.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an emailed newsletter extract so I cannot post a link to the FT (which is paywalled even if I could..)

Duty of care

By Jim Brunsden in Brussels
January 16, 2020
 

For many of the 3m EU nationals who live in the UK and their 1m British counterparts on the continent, the Brexit referendum was a hammer blow to the foundations of their lives.

The Brexit deal that Boris Johnson agreed with the EU last year contains far-reaching safeguards that should, in theory, dispel people’s fears of being uprooted. But everything hinges on how that agreement is implemented. 

The UK’s “settled status” scheme is already in place. According to the latest Home Office numbers, some 2.8m people have already applied and nearly 2.5m have been successful.

But Brussels is worried. The European Parliament voted on a resolution on Wednesday that listed a range of concerns about the implementation of the scheme. 

MEPs want cast-iron assurances from London that EU nationals will not be deported if they fail to apply before the scheme’s June 30 2021 deadline; they are unhappy that those granted settled status will not be given a physical document to prove it and they suspect that a planned UK watchdog for protecting citizens’ rights will turn out to be toothless.

Michel Barnier, the EU’s Brexit negotiator, said this week that the rollout of settled status “has already led to the identification of a series of concerns”.

Guy Verhofstadt, the EU parliament’s Brexit co-ordinator, travels to London today to seek assurances.

The UK insists that the scheme is being misrepresented, and that Britain is fulfilling its obligations in good faith. 

“We have already provided certainty to 2.5 million people who have been granted status through the EU Settlement Scheme,” said a Home Office spokesperson. “It’s free, there’s plenty of support available and it provides a secure digital status which can’t be lost, stolen or tampered with.”

Britain also argues that the onus is on the EU side to get a move on in implementing what was agreed, saying no member state has gone as far for British citizens as the UK has for EU nationals. 

MEPs are set to vote later this month to ratify the UK’s EU withdrawal treaty — the fruit of the last two years of Brexit talks. No one seriously believes that the European Parliament will reject it because of its concerns over citizens’ rights — to do so would be to plunge EU-UK relations into chaos. 

But the problems are a sign of the sensitivities at play as Johnson’s government and the EU begin implementing that treaty — a huge endeavour that will pick up pace once Britain is in its post-Brexit transition period. 

There is also an underlying warning from Brussels: in the event of a major spat over how to interpret the treaty, crucial negotiations with Britain on the future EU-UK relationship could be derailed. 

That prospect is enough to make anyone worried

Link to post
Share on other sites

Riddle me this:

We're in the midst of a climate emergency, Australia is on fire, foodbank use continues to skyrocket, many thousands of people (including children) are being driven to sleeping rough, the NHS is being sold off bit by bit to private firms with the standard of care worsening with every sold contract.

So why the **** are we crowdfunding £500,000 to ring a bloody bell?

I think we've officially lost our minds as a country. I look at where we were in 2012 with Diamond Jubilee and Olympics as celebrations about everything that WAS great about Britain.

Now we're trying to ring a bell to celebrate kicking out many of the Olympics 'game-makers'.

I can't possibly call myself proud to be British until we stop being such an overtly awful group of people en masse.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of the climate emergency Will Brexit actually make things better or worse?

E.g. - Loads of long haul planes bringing food in from the USA versus a shed load of trucks from the EU.

Will people not fly as much to the EU OR will it in fact mean more flights? i.e. - those with holiday homes etc. won't be able to stay there for the winter as they'll only have 90 days so they will have to split up their times, meaning at least double the amount of flights they'll have to take.

Edited by Husky
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Mike E said:

Riddle me this:

We're in the midst of a climate emergency, Australia is on fire, foodbank use continues to skyrocket, many thousands of people (including children) are being driven to sleeping rough, the NHS is being sold off bit by bit to private firms with the standard of care worsening with every sold contract.

So why the **** are we crowdfunding £500,000 to ring a bloody bell?

I think we've officially lost our minds as a country. I look at where we were in 2012 with Diamond Jubilee and Olympics as celebrations about everything that WAS great about Britain.

Now we're trying to ring a bell to celebrate kicking out many of the Olympics 'game-makers'.

I can't possibly call myself proud to be British until we stop being such an overtly awful group of people en masse.

Instead of melting down those celebratory 50 p pieces we should have sold them to the dafties who want the bells ringing. That would have paid for it and they could be happy twice over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/01/2020 at 07:36, philipl said:

This is an emailed newsletter extract so I cannot post a link to the FT (which is paywalled even if I could..)

Duty of care

By Jim Brunsden in Brussels
January 16, 2020
 

For many of the 3m EU nationals who live in the UK and their 1m British counterparts on the continent, the Brexit referendum was a hammer blow to the foundations of their lives.

The Brexit deal that Boris Johnson agreed with the EU last year contains far-reaching safeguards that should, in theory, dispel people’s fears of being uprooted. But everything hinges on how that agreement is implemented. 

The UK’s “settled status” scheme is already in place. According to the latest Home Office numbers, some 2.8m people have already applied and nearly 2.5m have been successful.

But Brussels is worried. The European Parliament voted on a resolution on Wednesday that listed a range of concerns about the implementation of the scheme. 

MEPs want cast-iron assurances from London that EU nationals will not be deported if they fail to apply before the scheme’s June 30 2021 deadline; they are unhappy that those granted settled status will not be given a physical document to prove it and they suspect that a planned UK watchdog for protecting citizens’ rights will turn out to be toothless.

Michel Barnier, the EU’s Brexit negotiator, said this week that the rollout of settled status “has already led to the identification of a series of concerns”.

Guy Verhofstadt, the EU parliament’s Brexit co-ordinator, travels to London today to seek assurances.

The UK insists that the scheme is being misrepresented, and that Britain is fulfilling its obligations in good faith. 

“We have already provided certainty to 2.5 million people who have been granted status through the EU Settlement Scheme,” said a Home Office spokesperson. “It’s free, there’s plenty of support available and it provides a secure digital status which can’t be lost, stolen or tampered with.”

Britain also argues that the onus is on the EU side to get a move on in implementing what was agreed, saying no member state has gone as far for British citizens as the UK has for EU nationals. 

MEPs are set to vote later this month to ratify the UK’s EU withdrawal treaty — the fruit of the last two years of Brexit talks. No one seriously believes that the European Parliament will reject it because of its concerns over citizens’ rights — to do so would be to plunge EU-UK relations into chaos. 

But the problems are a sign of the sensitivities at play as Johnson’s government and the EU begin implementing that treaty — a huge endeavour that will pick up pace once Britain is in its post-Brexit transition period. 

There is also an underlying warning from Brussels: in the event of a major spat over how to interpret the treaty, crucial negotiations with Britain on the future EU-UK relationship could be derailed. 

That prospect is enough to make anyone worried

Gaby Hinsliff has a good article on this very subject in today's " Guardian " Phillip. The shadow of the " Windrush " debacle is looming large over people who've lived and worked here for years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would anyone want to buy a blue passport? Mine isn't due to be replaced till 2027, so unless they provide me a new one for free, why would I bother if I can still travel on my current one. I'm presuming they are not withdrawing the current ones. That really would cause chaos. Can you imagine if we all suddenly had to replace passports?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honda in Swindon
And Vauxhall in Ellesmere Port
And Ford in Bridgend
Tesla chose Germany over UK for their first European factory & said it was Brexit
Every time there's a car company merger, guess which country's factories will be closed first !
You have to laugh.
Turkeys and all that. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51161808

https://www.ft.com/content/10ec1b28-39f4-11ea-b232-000f4477fbca

Thank you Tories

Link to post
Share on other sites

I never go to Wetherspoons anyway and since his stance on Brexit I never would in future,  just as I'd never buy another Dyson product.  How hypocritical to say 'Let's stay friends' We were doing just fine until Brexit raised its ugly head.

Edited by gumboots
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, gumboots said:

I never go to Wetherspoons anyway and since his stance on Brexit I never would in future,  just as I'd never buy another Dyson product.  How hypocritical to say 'Let's stay friends' We were doing just fine until Brexit raised its ugly head.

Dyson's a total bull shitter. His machines are crap.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.