https://www.ft.com/content/458747f0-4187-11ea-a047-eae9bd51ceba

This is a splendid example of how global Britain will be able to count on its "special relationship" with the United States.  Our American born Prime Minister must be delighted and it proves that Trump has no friends, only indivduals and countries who are prepared to bend over

It will be the same with the UK-EU trade deal. What leverage do we have ? The answer is none.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• philipl

• jim mk2

• den

• 47er

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simply put, without the NHS: I'd never have been born (I'm an IVF baby). I'd have died in the womb (as did the triplets I was supposed to be part of). I'd have died at some point immedi

I didn't really want to get involved in this thread again, as emotions are very high, but I can't stand by and continue to be abused without putting my side across.  I'll try and quantify my view

And I’m going to have a Spanish beer from a Belgian glass, wearing an Italian band t-shirt ordered from a German website, and listening to some Bulgarian europop. You and the rest can stick Brexi

Posted Images

• Moderation Lead

Hi All, hope you’ve had a good weekend?

Just a quick one- can we not infer large groups of people stupid because they put a cross in a different box at the polling station? 

Can we also not provoke each other and finally, if people haven’t answered a question, please don’t keep asking them, instead, can you send them a private message? 
Thanks.

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Just a quick one- can we not infer large groups of people stupid because they put a cross in a different box at the polling station? 

Can we also not provoke each other and finally, if people haven’t answered a question, please don’t keep asking them, instead, can you send them a private message? 
Thanks.

Isn't this a discussion board? Discussions involve asking questions and people providing answers. 

• Moderation Lead
18 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Isn't this a discussion board? Discussions involve asking questions and people providing answers. 

Absolutely, but it doesn’t involve insulting each other. If someone doesn’t want to answer a question, then maybe take the same approach as you would in life?

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Nobody said anyone was stupid because they put a cross in a different box at the polling station. I said a lot of those who were interviewed on Friday were thick - and they were. 

Edited by den
4 hours ago, den said:

Nobody said anyone was stupid because they put a cross in a different box at the polling station. I said a lot of those who were interviewed on Friday were thick - and they were. 

The media seem pretty thick these days too. Talk about the death of journalism.

I've said this before. Everything on the TV news about Brexit and the General Election seems to have been thick journalists asking thick people thick questions.

Nothing of even minimal substance.

On 02/02/2020 at 07:21, philipl said:

I am hard at work here in the office. Looks like we are going through the £1m mark for new invoiced business moving people and businesses out of the UK since the General Election result. Sales prospects list is huge.

Hate Brexit with a passion but it does have a silver lining.

Can't be that busy - you're always mucking about on ere.

12 hours ago, 47er said:

Posted on doors on all 15 floors of Winchester Tower, Norwich on Friday. Needs no comment from me other than what are we letting loose?

Brexit poster seen in a block of flats in Norwich

And there you have it.......the root cause of Brexit.

Nationalism and racism

Johnson also labelling anyone with concerns about lower food standards as America bashes.

Obviously opening the door to errr....... lower standards in food.

Double speak on workers rights as well. Arguing that the Tories would protect them ?, while refusing to sign up to protecting workers rights with the EU or anyone else.

just as the remainers said.

2 hours ago, philipl said:

Norton collapsed. The owner is a Brexiteer:

Brexit aside, is it not primarily because people aren't buying as many motorbikes? They don't have the same allure to the younger generations. Everyone over here who has one is 60+.

3 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Brexit aside, is it not primarily because people aren't buying as many motorbikes? They don't have the same allure to the younger generations. Everyone over here who has one is 60+.

Garner released a statement after the news was reported. He said: "I'm devastated at the events over the last 24 hours and personally have lost everything. However, my thoughts are with the Norton team and everyone involved, from customers, suppliers and shareholders at this truly difficult time.

"Without dialogue Metro Bank appointed BDO administrators yesterday. We are now working positively and proactively with BDO to ensure Norton has the best possible chance to find a buyer. It has become increasingly difficult to manufacture in the UK, with a growing tax burden and ongoing uncertainties over Brexit affecting many things like, tariffs, exports and availability of funding."

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/norton-motorcycles-goes-into-administration-1-6496163

Sad about Norton, a great British motorcycle name. I feel sorry for the employees and hope they find a buyer for the business. But Brexiteers like Stuart Garner have only themselves to blame. Brexit is going to do  great deal of damage to the UK over the coming years, and the manufacturing sector and the areas that voted Leave will be hardest hit.  To be honest, I'm past caring. These people and the UK are reaping what they sowed

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Come on now Philip, it's not just a view from "Washington DC" is it? 

It's the view of a heavily left leaning newspaper written by a heavily left leaning journalist (Ishaan Tharoor had  "...... a Yale career defined by an involvement in left-wing political activism...")

I mean this is the same balanced newspaper that labelled Abu Bakr al Baghdadi an "austere religious scholar", when the rest of us were quite happy just to label him a murdering scumbag. 

Now, none of that makes everything written in the article wrong or untrue, I just think if you're going to keep quoting sources as some sort of proof of your stance on Brexit then perhaps mix it up a bit. 

In terms of Brexit, after more than 3 years now, we all know what the extreme left think, and we all know what the extreme right think. We've heard it over and over and over.

Some balanced views from the centre are more relevant to the debate IMO. Strangely, I don't see many of them getting posted to this thread. It's almost as if people just want to post articles that suit their agenda. 

I notice various articles posted from the FT and Guardian over the last few pages. Some avid readers on here clearly. Yet, no-one posted the one about Nissan potentially pulling out the EU and moving their whole operation to the UK that was plastered all over both papers:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/feb/03/nissan-eu-uk-hard-brexit

Talk of an increase of 4% to 20% market share. The article covers both sides of the debate, but seems very relevant to a Brexit discussion to me. Odd that everyone missed it. Perhaps the headline didn't suit. You know, soundbites and all that. 

Yes we know what the extreme left and extreme right think - both are in favour of Brexit, for different reasons, but both want it - It's the centre that doesn't want Brexit and if you advocate Brexit then you political views don't occupy the centre ground.