• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jim mk2

• philipl

• den

• 47er

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simply put, without the NHS: I'd never have been born (I'm an IVF baby). I'd have died in the womb (as did the triplets I was supposed to be part of). I'd have died at some point immedi

And I’m going to have a Spanish beer from a Belgian glass, wearing an Italian band t-shirt ordered from a German website, and listening to some Bulgarian europop. You and the rest can stick Brexi

The Tories didn't drag us out of the EU to strengthen workers rights for gods sake - What planet are you on ?

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Nope. It's one of the reasons we've landed in the total mess Brexit is going to bring to this country.

When I read some of the posts on here I wonder how this country managed to win two World Wars. It's people living in places like Syria and the Yemen who have reason to feel lost -we live in a country with liberty and high living standards.

11 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

When I read some of the posts on here I wonder how this country managed to win two World Wars. It's people living in places like Syria and the Yemen who have reason to feel lost -we live in a country with liberty and high living standards.

Progressive and outward looking young people dismayed and disgusted by their European freedoms taken away by old people in an unnecessary Brexit vote, in work poverty, minimum wages, food banks, record child poverty, record inequality, an economy skewed to one city and region, failing schools, poor education standards, underfunded health and public services, demoralised police force, third world infrastructure, hollowed-out armed forces, biased media owned by billionaire right wing tax evaders, lying prime minister in awe of a unelected bureaucrat......

Welcome to Tory Britain. 

27 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Progressive and outward looking young people dismayed and disgusted by their European freedoms taken away by old people in an unnecessary Brexit vote, in work poverty, minimum wages, food banks, record child poverty, record inequality, an economy skewed to one city and region, failing schools, poor education standards, underfunded health and public services, demoralised police force, third world infrastructure, hollowed-out armed forces, biased media owned by billionaire right wing tax evaders, lying prime minister in awe of a unelected bureaucrat......

Welcome to Tory Britain. 

It'd be quicker to try to name an organ of the state that is working correctly- if you can think of one, because I can't.

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

You think we'd win a 3rd one?

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

We won them on our own, did we? 

Ah, the second world war, when we took the fight to fascists. Rather than voting for them

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

You think we'd win a 3rd one?

The Royal Navy is down to 19 ships. The US military think we're so weak now we don't even count. Would we be allowed to take part?

We won the first world war but the Russians won the second.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

The Royal Navy is down to 19 ships. The US military think we're so weak now we don't even count. Would we be allowed to take part?

We won the first world war but the Russians won the second.

But we beat Germany in 1966!

8 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

The two world wars are unconnected to and irrelevant to the point Mike E made. Their only possible connection is to the harking back to better times Brexiteers voted for.

Of course Syria, the Yemen and other countries are more difficult places to live than the UK. That does not distract from the fact we live in an increasingly divided country in which millions are being left behind and face enormous difficulty in accessing your "liberty and high living standards." Mike is talking about opportunity and that is being removed for more and more people on a daily basis.

9 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Yes, and we want to keep it that way!

Meanwhile one of our newest senior politicians just LAST MONTH recommended putting the power of politicians above that of the judiciary!

Literal fascist policy is in the minds if those walking our corridors of power.

You also need to brush up on your history without your Union Jack specs on. 'We' didn't win. WW1 is probably easier to give ourselves a bit of credit for, but WW2 was a Russian victory, which we quickened by helping crack Enigma. Cracking enigma was a somewhat hollow victory, as we castrated the man responsible.

Edited by Mike E
10 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Welcome to Tory Britain. 

Meanwhile in the Labour party leadership contest the candidates are rowing over whether individuals who are biologically men should be allowed to use women's changing rooms - I hear they speak of little else in Workington and Bishop Auckland.

The litany of misery that you and other posters set out bears no relation to the lives of the overwhelming majority of people in our great country.

50 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Meanwhile in the Labour party leadership contest the candidates are rowing over whether individuals who are biologically men should be allowed to use women's changing rooms - I hear they speak of little else in Workington and Bishop Auckland.

The litany of misery that you and other posters set out bears no relation to the lives of the overwhelming majority of people in our great country.

It does where I live in Rochdale.

48 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

That misery affects more people than you know or are prepared to admit. Just because you’re part of the majority doing alright doesn’t mean you should forget about them.

No food-banks needed when I was a kid.   

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

That misery affects more people than you know or are prepared to admit. Just because you’re part of the majority doing alright doesn’t mean you should forget about them.

No food-banks needed when I was a kid.   

Nor were there beggars on every street corner, or patients waiting on trolleys in hospital corridors.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Nor were there beggars on every street corner, or patients waiting on trolleys in hospital corridors.

Absolutely right! And the idea that people could be in full-time work but still not be able to afford the basics would have seemed unbelievable.

Tories can’t write off the likes of nurses as scroungers can they?

Edited by 47er
19 minutes ago, 47er said:

Absolutely right! And the idea that people could be in full-time work but still not be able to afford the basics would have seemed unbelievable.

Tories can’t write off the likes of nurses as scroungers can they?

Two things that working people need.

Public transport worked well then and it was affordable,

Social housing was available and cheap. When I first got married my wife and I lived in a nice two bedroom council flat. We had the keys 3 weeks after we applied for a tenancy. I was earning £22-50 a week as an engineer and my wife was earning £15-00 working in an office. Our rent ? £ 3-50 a week. We'd that much money we didn't know what to spend it on.

That's two massive failed privatisations courtesy of Mrs Thatcher and Co. 

Bus fares are amazing these days. My mum had her purse stolen recently with her bus pass in it so until a new pass came she had to pay bus fares. The fare from where she lives into the town centre, a journey of about a mile was £ 3-75 each way ! You could get a taxi for less !

Then we have the sale of council housing. Lots of them bought up from the original buyers to be rented out for extortionate rents by get rich quick wide boys. So the housing benefit just increases their bank balance. Madness.

As an aside to the bus pass story - my mum will be 90 in November but she's still independent so she still got the bus most days. In her experience when she explained to the bus drivers she'd had her pass stolen the younger drivers would say " That's a shame, just get on anyway mum, I can see you're entitled to a pass ". The older drivers would say " That's a shame, but rules are rules, £3-75 please ".

That tells you something about the older generation in this country.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
13 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I think it was Nandy who came out and said that the left should try and escape from Twitter. It is a bubble that enables them to always believe they're in the right, whereas quite often the reality is much different - her words. See 2019 general election for proof of this.

The left wing press have latched on this. From James OBrien on LBC to the independent. Unfortunately though once again it doesn't grasp the reality of the situation. Colin's problem is Colin's alone and doesn't represent the majority of Leave voters I'd assume.

We must stop this game of pretending we know best. It has alienated swathes of people that would otherwise vote for more left leaning parties.

Who's pretending - I'm still waiting for a single Brexiter to furnish me with a tangible benefit from leaving - All we get is the "taking back control" bollocks and other random unicorn based crap about forging our own path in the world. They voted for this shit show and must be reminded at every opportunity that they own it. 

Look over there "A Bridge!"

Edited by Jimbo
1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

And so it starts

Indeed..... so it does start......if you meant fake news that immediately sends the left into mouth frothing delirium. (Not you btw, the twitter clan, who exploded over this, and look a tad foolish now.)

I mean the clues were all there if they took a minute to have a think. All deals between ourselves and the EU remain intact till the end of the year at least. 

I'm afraid "triggered" doesn't even begin to cover it in this instance. 

I think maybe everyone should pause, wait a beat, and take a deep breath in future before jumping on the "Look what Brexit's caused!" bandwagon. 

My tip is, very little will be caused for at least 10.5 months. 

So maybe we can all have a little break. 

Game of noughts and crosses anyone?!

9 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Well as a southern woman it wouldn’t affect you, would it ? 

20 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It'd be quicker to try to name an organ of the state that is working correctly- if you can think of one, because I can't.

Tax evasion and avoidance. It’s a UK speciality. Tory donors are world leaders