I'm economically inactive and have done my time picking spuds. Nowadays I run a toddler group on a voluntary basis and my husband, who is also economically inactive, volunteers at a food bank- those things that are increasingly important in todays society. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jim mk2

• philipl

• den

• 47er

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simply put, without the NHS: I'd never have been born (I'm an IVF baby). I'd have died in the womb (as did the triplets I was supposed to be part of). I'd have died at some point immedi

And I’m going to have a Spanish beer from a Belgian glass, wearing an Italian band t-shirt ordered from a German website, and listening to some Bulgarian europop. You and the rest can stick Brexi

The Tories didn't drag us out of the EU to strengthen workers rights for gods sake - What planet are you on ?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

We already have high wages in the UK for the privileged 1 per cent.  The idea that because there will be curbs on foreign workers high wages are going to be handed over to people in low-skilled jobs is laughable. What leverage do these workers have?  We used to have trade unions who battled for better conditions on behalf of workers but they have been neutered or banned in many sectors and companies. Workers are powerless, especially those on zero-hours contracts. 

It will be funny watching all those who voted Brexit to stop the low-skilled "coming over here and taking our jobs" queueing up for agricultural work on minimum wage or less. Patel's  8 million "economically inactive" ie, the sick,  the dying and the old, will love carrying turnips and spuds.  

She'd be out of her depth on my local council. " Private Eye " has a good front cover today - " New Cabinet Announced " - !2 photographs of poodles.

I love Private Eye. All politicians are targets and it hits the mark every time.

As for Patel, when her interviewer pointed out that 2.2m of the inactive were students, another 1.9m were looking after families and 2.1m were long-term sick, Ms Patel said: “If we invest in people and also if we put [in] the right investment in terms of new technology and skills, more people would be able to work in many sectors.”

This is priceless. Stock government response to any intractable problem these days is (non-existent) “technology”. Irish border. Technology. Sick people who’ve possibly never been capable of work. Technology. Although clearly she doesn’t have the technology to do basic maths (and she certainly doesn’t have the intellect). 

As for “investing” in people. Like the Tories have been doing for the past 10 years ? 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

I love Private Eye. All politicians are targets and it hits the mark every time.

As for Patel, when her interviewer pointed out that 2.2m of the inactive were students, another 1.9m were looking after families and 2.1m were long-term sick, Ms Patel said: “If we invest in people and also if we put [in] the right investment in terms of new technology and skills, more people would be able to work in many sectors.”

This is priceless. Stock government response to any intractable problem these days is (non-existent) “technology”. Irish border. Technology. Sick people who’ve possibly never been capable of work. Technology. Although clearly she doesn’t have the technology to do basic maths (and she certainly doesn’t have the intellect). 

As for “investing” in people. Like the Tories have been doing for the past 10 years ? 

As my dad used to say - She's numb as a piss stone.

6 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

The government with Asians as Chancellor of the Exchequer and Home Secretary ? What complete nonsense !

I’m talking about Windrush and shamefully and knowingly deporting citizens that were invited to come to this country when we needed them.  Im talking about the hostile environment described thus... “The UK Home Office hostile environment policy is a set of administrative and legislative measures designed to make staying in the United Kingdom as difficult as possible for people without leave to remain, in the hope that they may "voluntarily leave".
I’m talking about a prime minister who’s used racist terms to describe black people on a number of occasions - something I’ve never heard from any previous prime minister. I’m talking about a senior ERG member who continually refers to how we beat the Germans in the war. Etc, etc. etc.

the fact that a couple of government ministers might be black makes no difference at all.

11 minutes ago, den said:

I’m talking about Windrush and shamefully and knowingly deporting citizens that were invited to come to this country when we needed them.  Im talking about the hostile environment described thus... “The UK Home Office hostile environment policy is a set of administrative and legislative measures designed to make staying in the United Kingdom as difficult as possible for people without leave to remain, in the hope that they may "voluntarily leave".
I’m talking about a prime minister who’s used racist terms to describe black people on a number of occasions - something I’ve never heard from any previous prime minister. I’m talking about a senior ERG member who continually refers to how we beat the Germans in the war. Etc, etc. etc.

the fact that a couple of government ministers might be black makes no difference at all.

And yet you don't want to talk about the only 2 parties to be investigated by the EHRC for racism - the BNP and the Labour party. Why the cover up ?

3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

And yet you don't want to talk about the only 2 parties to be investigated by the EHRC for racism - the BNP and the Labour party. Why the cover up ?

Great whataboutery.

I could add the appointment of a number ten advisor who believed in Eugenics and the Prime Minister who refused to reject that particular form of racism. Or indeed a government refusing to investigate its own problems with Islamaphobia - after saying they would investigate it during the election campaign.

do me a favour, it’s obvious where this particular governments guns are aimed. As I said earlier they blame most of the countries ills on immigration, just as the brexiteers do.

Just now, den said:

Great whataboutery.

I could add the appointment of a number ten advisor who believed in Eugenics and the Prime Minister who refused to reject that particular form of racism. Or indeed a government refusing to investigate its own problems with Islamaphobia - after saying they would investigate it during the election campaign.

do me a favour, it’s obvious where this particular governments guns are aimed. As I said earlier they blame most of the countries ills on immigration, just as the brexiteers do.

Six million Jews murdered in the Holocaust is not , never has been and never will be "whataboutery". It's a stain on humanity -you  do me a favour and call it out.

You cant slam the Labour Party for anti semitism without condemning racism in all forms from any political party or from anyone in fact. The current policies of the government indicate underlying racism even if they havent been investigated for it. Racism is a stain on our country wherever it comes from.

Just now, gumboots said:

You cant slam the Labour Party for anti semitism without condemning racism in all forms from any political party or from anyone in fact. The current policies of the government indicate underlying racism even if they havent been investigated for it. Racism is a stain on our country wherever it comes from.

Of course racism is a stain on the country wherever it comes from. Which is why the EHRC investigate political parties - like Labour and the BNP but not the Conservatives or Liberal Democrats or Scot Nats or Brexit party.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

As my dad used to say - She's numb as a piss stone.

Priti Patel is the same numpty who thought freelancing a form of foreign policy and then, after not coming clean about it when she was found out, was forced to resign in utter disgrace.  Shapps is another. 

Corrupt and discredited ministers and perfect for this government being run by an unelected bureaucrat "adviser"

9 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Our wages are terrible here and something has to be done to drive them up. I’m not saying this is the answer but by outlawing firms the right to access cheap unfettered labour it is a small step in the right direction.

I don’t think there’s any evidence at all that immigration is bringing wages down.

there is evidence though that the people who DO keep wages/earnings as low as possible are employers. Which party is the party of the employers? The Tory party obviously. It’s therefore very odd that people who are concerned by low earnings religiously vote for the party who have vested interests in keeping them low.

19 minutes ago, den said:

I don’t think there’s any evidence at all that immigration is bringing wages down.

there is evidence though that the people who DO keep wages/earnings as low as possible are employers. Which party is the party of the employers? The Tory party obviously. It’s therefore very odd that people who are concerned by low earnings religiously vote for the party who have vested interests in keeping them low.

All employers are Tories ?

Grow up Den