2 hours ago, Doug said:

I'm off to do my weekly shop and will endeavour, as always, to buy British produce wherever possible.

Support Britain, we owe it to the next generations, whatever your politics are, to make this country as strong as it can be.

Since when has support Britain been anything to do with brexit? That’s always been the aim.

BTW are you volunteering to work on the farms this coming season?

Edited by den
  • Replies 15.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• philipl

• jim mk2

• den

• 47er

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simply put, without the NHS: I'd never have been born (I'm an IVF baby). I'd have died in the womb (as did the triplets I was supposed to be part of). I'd have died at some point immedi

I didn't really want to get involved in this thread again, as emotions are very high, but I can't stand by and continue to be abused without putting my side across.  I'll try and quantify my view

The Tories didn't drag us out of the EU to strengthen workers rights for gods sake - What planet are you on ?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Jbizzle ask for benefits of leaving, I tried to give him some.

I think I mentioned yesterday I can see good in most things arbitro, I'm not wed to one idea or one ideology, even this Tory government have done some good!

On brexit, you simply do not desert your biggest trading block without have a plan in place to fill that gap, thats the main reason why I would never have voted to leave, but I do have respect for democracy and respect for the people that voted to leave, this lazy rhetoric of them all being racist and nationalist shows a lack of intelligence in my eyes. 

But once the vote was cast it was cast, it was never going to be reversed and I wasn't going to wallow in self pity and moan for 4yrs about the result, so I looked for ways to negate the impact of brexit, it wasn't that difficult.

The possibilities of being a sovereign trading nation are endless, especially now we have free trade/zero tariff access to EU as well. But does this government have the ability to get more trade deals over the line, I'm not so sure.

I too respect democracy and as such accept leaving but I'm far from comfortable with many, many aspects of the 'deal'. I can't see any tangible benefits for me and my family of working class oinks.

By the way the people I know and have discussed their leave vote with say their first  priority was to de escalate immigration. That's not a broad brush statement and generalisation but I do believe it was uppermost in lots of minds when the votes were cast.

2 hours ago, Doug said:

I'm off to do my weekly shop and will endeavour, as always, to buy British produce wherever possible.

Support Britain, we owe it to the next generations, whatever your politics are, to make this country as strong as it can be.

I always buy Britain as far as I can. Buy fruit and vegetables from local fruit and Vegatable market stall. Meats from local butchers. I go to local farmer shop in Ramsbottom twice a month aswell. 

You are very correct that we should buy British produce wherever possible. 

1 hour ago, JBiz said:

The huge elephant in the room - what if I want a product not made here?

Why should I pay more?

like? 

16 hours ago, den said:

Yep, we can catch more fish but not sell them into our main market. 

The U.K. fishermen’s leaders have said they will absolutely be worse off under this deal.  They say Johnson has sold them down the river. Boris the betrayer they call him.

There you go, that’s what they’re saying. However you will ignore these facts because it doesn’t suit you, then tell us how strong the U.K. were in negotiations.

Barnier and EU havee already tell the media how strong the UK were in negotiations. did you miss those comments? 

in 5 years, who knows what the EU will be especially if more EU countries have referendums on EU membership?

15 hours ago, JBiz said:

You’ve wanted a new immigration system in for 15 years - could you explain to us at least 3 reason then?

Also the 4million people you’ve been prattling on about already live and work here, why should they have to apply to continue contributing?

Finally, why patronise us about “looking forward and being positive”?

If you want to stick your head in the sand and accept everything you’re spoon fed from this government - that’s up to you, but I will make my own mind up.

And like I said, I will be blaming uniformed voters for any problems we face in the next few years, and I won’t be counting things we had before as a “success”.

The new immigration system is pretty simple and clear. Our immigration system will be based on the skills we need in the country. why do you want 3 reasons for? 

Well 4 million people have applied for the Settlement scheme and They want to stay here in the UK despite what you say. The settlement scheme is opportunity to protect their residence in the UK

No-one is patronise you but people like yourself need to accept the result of the referendum and thats we left the EU now. Instead of keep going over old ground and the same old boring arguments like the last 4 and half years. Or we can look forward now and start to grow our economy and invest in NHS, green energy power, etc. 

14 hours ago, Doug said:

Keep an eye on Germany, they will not be happy particularly as there is now one less nett contributor, (and there weren't many before we left).

I'd be surprised if they were still in 'the club' in the next 5 years, I think they prefer us to the French and definitely prefer us to the 'non contributors' (which are the overwhelming majority).

There was a tongue in cheek rumour a few years ago that the Germans might join us and use Stirling as their currency.....We may be one step closer to that happening!!

Maybe we could allow Germany to join us........but surely never allow them to use our own Stirling!!!!

Onward and definitely upward.

France could be holding a referendum on whether to be in the EU or not in 2021. 

12 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's the people that are already here. People looking to move abroad won't be attracted to come here by this legislation. It's obvious that the attitude of our government is grudging at best to foreigners. Plenty of other nations to choose from, and they will.

of course people will be attracted to still come here whether its Doctors, nurses, engineering, etc. 

Look at the NHS staffing stats and figures that I posted yesterday. Still plenty of people attracted to work here. 

"Buying British" has always been our policy whenever possible but with many products or sectors it is plainly not feasible. Next option would always be to buy from a fellow EU member state before the likes of the US or the Middle East, for instance. Some countries, the obvious ones, we would never knowingly buy from

Why this has anything to do with Brexit is in the fevered minds of Brexiteers. 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I always buy Britain as far as I can. Buy fruit and vegetables from local fruit and Vegatable market stall. Meats from local butchers. I go to local farmer shop in Ramsbottom twice a month aswell. 

You are very correct that we should buy British produce wherever possible. 

Agree, but got nothing to do with Brexit.

18 minutes ago, arbitro said:

By the way the people I know and have discussed their leave vote with say their first  priority was to de escalate immigration. That's not a broad brush statement and generalisation but I do believe it was uppermost in lots of minds when the votes were cast.

Absolutely Arbitro. 

Immigration was the uppermost topic in the ref debate. Farage appealed to many with his continuous xenophobic and racist tirades. Remember the photo of long queues of black faces and being told they’re all coming to the U.K.?  the Mail, Sun, Express spent decades banging on about immigration as well. All that got into the minds of people who should have known better but allowed their prejudices to run free instead.

There was never any credible evidence that the economy would gain through leaving the EU. Of course leavers threw soundbites at it, but virtually every economist, every detailed assessment showed the opposite would likely be the case. They weren’t guessing. If they had been guessing, around half of those economists would have forecast big gains - and half of the assessments would have shown big gains, but they didn’t. 

Even now after the deal has been signed and some of the details are there to be seen, the economists are sticking with their views that this will be harmful. It’s bleeding obvious that it will. Certainly none of our brexiteers on here have managed to give us some evidence of how we’ll be better off financially after brexit. We’ve been asking for four and a half years.

Edited by den
27 minutes ago, den said:

Since when has support Britain been anything to do with brexit? That’s always been the aim.

17 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Agree, but got nothing to do with Brexit.

The left wing press told us with glee how imported products, including food, would jump by 30-70% after Brexit, all nonsense of course, but thats why buying British became a brexit topic, offset some of that extra cost the supermarkets would be putting on imported food.

I've just told the Mrs she's NOT getting todays Guardian......its a rag.......she'll be back shortly with said paper....🤔 But make no mistake, I'm in charge in this house......

Edited by Gav

The irony of the Brexit adverts showing long queues of black faces is that immigration from the old Commonwealth has increased significantly  in the past few years while immigration from Europe (mostly white faces) has slumped.

Not quite what Farage and his Brexit followers had in mind when they embarked on the racist crusade. 

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

The left wing press told us with glee how imported products, including food, would jump by 30-70% after Brexit, all nonsense of course, but thats why buying British became a brexit topic, offset some of that extra cost the supermarkets would be putting on imported food.

I've just told the Mrs she's NOT getting todays Guardian......its a rag.......she'll be back shortly with said paper....🤔 But make no mistake, I'm in charge in this house......

Left wing press? There's more than The Guardian? I suppose there is also The Mirror as well. Nice to see a person being honest about where they stand and not pretending to be middle of the road, neutral.

Posted (edited)

First weekly shop of the year today. Looking forward to stocking up on British spices and getting some British pineapple and bananas for a fruity curry tonight 🙄

Edited by Mike E
1 hour ago, JBiz said:

From the point of view of buying cheaper purely because it’s imported, I agree. In fact the EU was a big part of keeping standards high so our produce would be worth it’s value after increased employment cost.

The huge elephant in the room - what if I want a product not made here?

Why should I pay more?

If the product you require isn't made here then do your research and buy from somewhere that you feel comfortable buying from. Australia has had a tough time with China recently so maybe buy something produced there as an example. 

The question of why pay more is one for each individual to make that choice. I will pay more for our products, but I do appreciate that others may not be able to. The vast majority of food we need is produced in this country and is of a similar cost to imported produce.  

6 minutes ago, Mike E said:

First weekly shop of the year today. Looking forward to stocking up on British spices and getting some British pineapple and bananas for a fruity curry tonight 🙄

Thankfully due to the brexit deal you'll not be paying more Mike, buy as much as you want, its the same price.

Just for the record, I've seen bananas growing in the conservatory in Corporation Park!

I donated to the friends of corporation park to help with the renovation of the conservatory, its a superb Blackburn landmark that has sadly seen better days and needs saving.

28 minutes ago, Gav said:

I've just told the Mrs she's NOT getting todays Guardian......its a rag....

A popular misconception is that ALL those to the left, politically, voted Remain, and that all left-leaning political commentators/journalist supported Remain. 

Corbyn/Momentum were very much in the Leave camp, although they could never really come out and say it explicitly. Corbyn was never a fan of the EU - just not for the same reasons as Farage et al. Corbyn saw it as a Capitalist Boys club that looked after the establishment/big business to the detriment of Workers rights...and he was probably right. Farage/Brexiteers of the hard right saw it as an obstacle to them shitting all over workers rights...that will now be coming to a workplace near you very soon. 

It's not the leaving of the EU that will be the issue going forward, it will be who is in charge of the good ship UK. Unfortunately for the next 4 years  it will be sailed by people who don't give a shit about you or me (the 99%), and who will do everything in their power to enrich their mates and rob the countries assets blind. 

Careful what you wish for.

Anyway, here's the Guardian's economics editor, left-wing and pro-Brexit. Well worth a read.

The left must stop mourning Brexit – and start seeing its huge potential | Larry Elliott | Opinion | The Guardian

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
33 minutes ago, den said:

I'm glad you agree with buying British and I apologise if this is not the thread to post this in, I just think that Brexit, whether you agree with it or not, should refocus the individuals way of thinking of how we can move forward and keep as much of the population employed as we can.

Working on a farm isn't really something I can do as I already work around 55 hours a week, but, your idea could help a few who may have lost their employment recently due to the virus and are looking for short or maybe long term opportunities.

47 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yes I was there then. One of my abiding memories is working in a really noisy machine shop. The foreman came out of his office and shouted to me " The power is going off in a minute ". Just as he got to " minute " everything went off - lights, machines, the lot.

The maintenance gang had to take it in turn to work at night when the power was off. This was to turn everything off if the power came on again during the night. It was a cold and miserable job. One of us had the bright idea off going into a little room that had a big gas torch for heat treatment etc. We lit the gas jet and we were huddled around it nice and warm again. The we heard the bells of several fire engines. We'd forgotten the flames could be seen from outside and a neighbour had seen the flames and phoned the fire brigade !

TS, I remember walking along the canal to the company I was working for, 1973.

Half heating, half lighting.

It was November 5, it was sleeting/rain, and there was I, in gear that was meant for Sydney.

I'd been disappointed with the MD, as I'd given him a great way to increase profits, without doing too much extra, so I was a bit pissed off. That company went belly up partly because the parent company was using it as a "pricing tool".

The mindset was so different, little positivity.

So I rang my Mrs (who's a Lancashire lass) and said, do you want to go back to Sydney, she said yes.

And here we are, still, in the same house (with upgrades) we bought in 1975.

6 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

A popular misconception is that ALL those to the left, politically, voted Remain, and that all left-leaning political commentators/journalist supported Remain. 

Corbyn/Momentum were very much in the Leave camp, although they could never really come out and say it explicitly. Corbyn was never a fan of the EU - just not for the same reasons as Farage et al. Corbyn saw it as a Capitalist Boys club that looked after the establishment/big business to the detriment of Workers rights...and he was probably right. Farage/Brexiteers of the hard right saw it as an obstacle to them shitting all over workers rights...that will now be coming to a workplace near you very soon. 

It's not the leaving of the EU that will be the issue going forward, it will be who is in charge of the good ship UK. Unfortunately for the next 4 years  it will be sailed by people who don't give a shit about you or me (the 99%), and who will do everything in their power to enrich their mates and rob the countries assets blind. 

Careful what you wish for.

Anyway, here's the Guardian's economics editor, left-wing and pro-Brexit. Well worth a read.

The left must stop mourning Brexit – and start seeing its huge potential | Larry Elliott | Opinion | The Guardian

Good points there HBM.

From here onwards, it's how the ship is navigated, to use your analogy. Get it right and everything else will be forgotten

10 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Yes good points.

I think Corbyn voted to remain, but he certainly did that through gritted teeth I'd wager, the wonderful Tony Benn was a staunch leaver too as is Dennis Skinner.

11 hours ago, dave birch said:

Interesting point you make there 47er.

Had it been left to the government of the day (Labour) then there was a really good chance that the UK would have left the EEC as it was then.

From wiki:

1975 European Communities membership referendum

180px-United_Kingdom_European_Communitie

All but two areas voted "Yes"

On Thursday 5 June 1975 the United Kingdom held its first ever nationwide referendum on whether to continue its membership of the European Communities (EC) principally the European Economic Community (EEC, or "Common Market") as it was more widely known at the time. The UK had been a member of the EC since 1 January 1973 and the vote came about after a manifesto commitment by the Labour Party under the then Prime Minister Harold Wilson in the UK General Election in October 1974 and following a renegotiation of EC membership. All of the major political parties and mainstream press supported continuing membership of the EC. However, there were significant splits within the ruling Labour party, the membership of which had voted 2:1 in favour of withdrawal at a one-day party conference on 26 April 1975. Since the cabinet was split between strongly pro-European and strongly anti-European ministers, Harold Wilson suspended the constitutional convention of Cabinet collective responsibility and allowed ministers to publicly campaign on either side. Seven of the twenty-three members of the cabinet opposed EC membership and the party was formally neutral on the issue.[7] The referendum which was non-binding was conducted in its entirety under the provisions of the Referendum Act 1975 as there was no prior procedure or legislation within the United Kingdom for the holding of any such plebiscite. The two campaign groups in the referendum were "Britain in Europe" advocating a yes vote and "National Referendum Campaign" advocating a no vote.

The voters were asked to vote "Yes" or "No" on the question: "Do you think the United Kingdom should stay in the European Community (the Common Market)?" Of the 68 counting areas in the counties and administrative regions of the UK who voted "Yes", only the Shetland Islands and the Outer Hebrides voted "No". In line with the outcome of the vote, the United Kingdom remained a member of the European Communities which would later become the European Union.[8]

There was no majority in the Labour Government for leave in 1975.

Just now, Gav said:

Yes good points.

I think Corbyn voted to remain, but he certainly did that through gritted teeth I'd wager, the wonderful Tony Benn was a staunch leaver too as is Dennis Skinner.

He went on holiday. Like I said, he was anti-EU from the 70's. 

Jeremy Corbyn's views on Brexit: a long held stance on Europe (markpack.org.uk)

2 minutes ago, dave birch said:

From here onwards, it's how the ship is navigated, to use your analogy. Get it right and everything else will be forgotten

And that will depend entirely on one's view of what's 'right'.

This Govt is incompetent and influenced by cranks and borderline fascists. That's my worry. 

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

There was no majority in the Labour Government for leave in 1975.

47er, at the convened conference the Labour party membership voted 2-1 for a withdrawal

From Wiki:

"However, there were significant splits within the ruling Labour party, the membership of which had voted 2:1 in favour of withdrawal at a one-day party conference on 26 April 1975."

Yes, the party voted to stay, however, that was after the referendum that Wilson called, which showed an overwhelming wish to stay.

Had that not transpired then it would have been a deathwish from Wilson to contradict the wishes of the membership.

If there's one thing you don't do, in the Labour party, is tell the majority of the members you know better than the collective.

6 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

And that will depend entirely on one's view of what's 'right'.

This Govt is incompetent and influenced by cranks and borderline fascists. That's my worry. 

You'll know what's right, and if the government has it's ear to the ground, so will they.

3 hours ago, Doug said:

So why did we do brexit then?