48 minutes ago, broadsword said:

It's sad, really. So needless. 

We can't pretend to be surprised, when this is literally what 17.4 million people voted for. 

I don't know where this is all going to end. Trade barriers go up, businesses that do business across continent struggle, they come down, those businesses do better. 

So lads, when are we reapplying for membership again? Presumably we have to endure this nonsense for a few years, before giving it up as a bad job? 

We aren’t going back in for a long time Broadsword.

What will happen over time and with different PM’s and hopefully different governments, is that the U.K. will undoubtedly in my mind begin to move back closer to the EU. There are built in review clauses every 5years?  These can work two ways. We could either move further away, or nearer to the single market and customs union. Which PM in their right mind would opt to move even further away, with all the disruption, all the tariffs, all the extra red tape for business, all the costs that would surely bring? Why would they do that? It’s unthinkable. There is no benefit to what we’re doing now, why would anyone want to make things even worse?

Edited by den
  • Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jim mk2

• philipl

• den

• 47er

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simply put, without the NHS: I'd never have been born (I'm an IVF baby). I'd have died in the womb (as did the triplets I was supposed to be part of). I'd have died at some point immedi

I didn't really want to get involved in this thread again, as emotions are very high, but I can't stand by and continue to be abused without putting my side across.  I'll try and quantify my view

The Tories didn't drag us out of the EU to strengthen workers rights for gods sake - What planet are you on ?

Posted Images

It just gets worse and worse - Can someone remind me of the benefits of Brexit ?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/08/firms-including-ms-suspend-eu-exports-over-brexit-smallprint

Hundreds of businesses including high street retailers Marks & Spencer and Fortnum & Mason have suspended exports to the EU with Brexit smallprint expected to drive up costs.

Small businesses have also been affected. Parcel courier DPD announced on Friday it was suspending its road delivery services to the EU.

Although the government sealed a “tariff free” trade deal on Christmas Eve, it has now emerged that food and clothing products that do not qualify as made in Britain could be hit be these special export levies.

Under the agreement if more than 40% of its pre-finished value was either not of British or EU origin, a product will attract tariffs.

Boris Johnson was said to have swerved the topic of Brexit impact in a call with over 200 business leaders earlier this week

36 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

It just gets worse and worse - Can someone remind me of the benefits of Brexit ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/stella-creasy-leadership-roles-childbirth-b1783210.html

I hope one benefit will be that we tighten up workers rights, put a stop this kind of disgusting discrimination from dinosaurs hiding in the shadows. 

Gav - given that the UK was perfectly able to improve employment and discrimination law whilst in the EU do you seriously believe this current Government are going to make them better now?

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/stella-creasy-leadership-roles-childbirth-b1783210.html

I hope one benefit will be that we tighten up workers rights, put a stop this kind of disgusting discrimination from dinosaurs hiding in the shadows. 

We always could improve workers rights Gav - and in some areas DO have better workers rights.

Youll have to try again if you want to find something outside the EU that’s even going to come close to what we’ve already lost.

3 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Gav - given that the UK was perfectly able to improve employment and discrimination law whilst in the EU do you seriously believe this current Government are going to make them better now?

We can only hope o2g because the Labour Party clearly won’t.....

1 hour ago, den said:

We aren’t going back in for a long time Broadsword.

What will happen over time and with different PM’s and hopefully different governments, is that the U.K. will undoubtedly in my mind begin to move back closer to the EU. There are built in review clauses every 5years?  These can work two ways. We could either move further away, or nearer to the single market and customs union. Which PM in their right mind would opt to move even further away, with all the disruption, all the tariffs, all the extra red tape for business, all the costs that would surely bring? Why would they do that? It’s unthinkable. There is no benefit to what we’re doing now, why would anyone want to make things even worse?

Yeah, I guess there'll be no public appetite for making things worse after ensuring a few years of this utter nonsense

Sorry brexiteers, you’ve been had.

April 2016.

“The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want”. - Michael Gove.

Then today  .....

A “new normal” where trade will flow even more freely than it did when we had frictionless free trade with the EU.

😀 oh dear. He’s not making much sense is he.

Edited by den
2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

The Tories didn't drag us out of the EU to strengthen workers rights for gods sake - What planet are you on ?

All the Tories have ever done in my lifetime is attack workers rights. No wonder they wanted us to leave the EU.

21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

All the Tories have ever done in my lifetime is attack workers rights. No wonder they wanted us to leave the EU.

It looks like the Labour party are joining in now Tyrone......Very good MP Stella Creasy, she deserves better.

The party of equality, women's rights and worker rights 🤔 disgusting. 

Edited by Gav
1 hour ago, Gav said:

It looks like the Labour party are joining in now Tyrone......Very good MP Stella Creasy, she deserves better.

Still banging on Gav, Generalising from the particular, still on a mission to persuade us that the Tories look after the workers as much as a Labour Government would!

An answer for you -----Austerity!

25 minutes ago, 47er said:

Still banging on Gav, Generalising from the particular, still on a mission to persuade us that the Tories look after the workers as much as a Labour Government would!

An answer for you -----Austerity!

Where did I mentioned the Tories 47er?

5 hours ago, Gav said:

The king of whatabouttery strikes again

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

One of the main drivers of Brexit by the Tory right wing was to roll back EU human rights legislation and workers protections.

Starmer's job will be to attack them hard when they start the process in the coming months

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

The king of whatabouttery strikes again

What is so 'whataboutery' in regards to the Guardian, Telegraph and Independent pieces about Stella Creasy being discriminated against? 

" Moneybox " on BBC radio 4 today at 12-00 carried an interesting article about the change of banking with regard to the EU. Lots of Brits living in the EU are finding that their UK banks are closing their accounts. More worrying for me some banks abroad are closing accounts of Brits who live in the UK but have accounts abroad.

If that happens in Spain it would mean we'd have sell our apartment. We couldn't run the show without a Spanish bank account to service all our standing orders etc.

Isn't Brexit great !

Yes, I agree. It is. I just stood longer in the Post Office today because I needed to fill in customs forms to send my daughter a pair of gloves I'd knit for her. The assistant gave me 20 customs forms in case I want to send anything else. It must be so annoying for the people behind the counter, the time it takes to do simple transactions

It said in the programme that some British banks aren't closing accounts at the moment. Guess what though - that only applies to existing customers so you can't leave your old bank and open a new account with them. Only one bank, HSBC,  will allow you to that

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
22 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

" Moneybox " on BBC radio 4 today at 12-00 carried an interesting article about the change of banking with regard to the EU. Lots of Brits living in the EU are finding that their UK banks are closing their accounts. More worrying for me some banks abroad are closing accounts of Brits who live in the UK but have accounts abroad.

If that happens in Spain it would mean we'd have sell our apartment. We couldn't run the show without a Spanish bank account to service all our standing orders etc.

Isn't Brexit great !

People were lied to sadly. I doubt Leave would have won if all the ramifications of leaving the EU were known. 

22 hours ago, gumboots said:

Yes, I agree. It is. I just stood longer in the Post Office today because I needed to fill in customs forms to send my daughter a pair of gloves I'd knit for her. The assistant gave me 20 customs forms in case I want to send anything else. It must be so annoying for the people behind the counter, the time it takes to do simple transactions

What about the people queueing behind you ? Plus the fact that you have to stand longer than is advisable in a confined space with other people ?

52 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What about the people queueing behind you ? Plus the fact that you have to stand longer than is advisable in a confined space with other people ?

Brexit Britain. Things that were easy to do have become alot more difficult. But it's worth it because "we've taken back control"