• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• philipl

• jim mk2

• den

• 47er

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simply put, without the NHS: I'd never have been born (I'm an IVF baby). I'd have died in the womb (as did the triplets I was supposed to be part of). I'd have died at some point immedi

I didn't really want to get involved in this thread again, as emotions are very high, but I can't stand by and continue to be abused without putting my side across.  I'll try and quantify my view

The Tories didn't drag us out of the EU to strengthen workers rights for gods sake - What planet are you on ?

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Gav said:

The government can cut through the bureaucracy.

I was listening to an interview with the owner of Loch Fyne seafood company and he said the same, but it will take time.

So "cut through in time then"? 😃

49 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

So useless that the UK is vaccinating its people against Covid at 10 times the rate of the French.

Hurrah! 

The 12-month shitshow of Brexit and coronovirus passed you by then 

On 16/01/2021 at 13:09, Gav said:

It was in response to den being forced to work 7 days a week against his will.

Where are the unions in such circumstances? Isn’t that why you pay subs?

Hang on Gav, you’re making a whole lot of wrong assumptions here.

Firstly, I never thought for one minute that I was being bullied. You used that word, certainly not me. I wasn’t “forced to work 7 days against my will” either. I worked a lot of overtime all my life because that was expected in the job I was doing. I accepted that in the main - as did everyone else, but that didn’t mean I enjoyed a foreman who didn’t work one single minute of overtime himself, bollocking those who didn’t work every hour he demanded. 

The point about that, is that there was no legal protection against him doing that. Now there is. The govt want to get rid of it.

Then you ask why I didn’t go to the union. That’s a really strange one. Are you suggesting that union members take every comment, every single thing that they didn’t like to the union? Of course not. The shop floor was a tough place in many ways. 

you also say I don’t understand the working time directive. Here’s a summary from a different source then, wikipaedia :-

Directive 2003/88/EC or Working Time Directive (WTD) is a Directive in European Union law. It gives EU workers the right to at least 4 weeks in paid holidays each year, rest breaks, and rest of at least 11 hours in any 24 hours; restricts excessive night work; a day off after a week's work; and provides for a right to work no more than 48 hours per week. It was issued as an update on earlier versions from 22 June 2000 and 23 November 1993.[1] Since excessive working time is cited as a major cause of stress, depression and illness, the purpose of the directive is to protect people's health and safety.

The govt want to get rid of that. It could also reduce holiday payments. 

Edited by den
9 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

So useless that the UK is vaccinating its people against Covid at 10 times the rate of the French.

We did get a head start though - So why are we worse than Italy and Denmark ?

You know when they told us that there was no chance of the UK running out of vital medicines? We it turns out the Tories are a bunch of lying bastards, Who knew ?

That story is genuinely tragic. 

What’s even more tragic is that cannabis is still illegal in this country as a medicine or for recreation. The U.K. is the biggest producer of medical cannabis in the world, yet we still need “special exemptions” to prescribe it. The health benefits extend from the most severe epileptic cases like this to arthritis, sleep problems, food disorders, glaucoma etc. 

There’s never been a death from cannabis but alcohol kills however many per day. Society is backward. 

4 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

That story is genuinely tragic. 

What’s even more tragic is that cannabis is still illegal in this country as a medicine or for recreation. The U.K. is the biggest producer of medical cannabis in the world, yet we still need “special exemptions” to prescribe it. The health benefits extend from the most severe epileptic cases like this to arthritis, sleep problems, food disorders, glaucoma etc. 

There’s never been a death from cannabis but alcohol kills however many per day. Society is backward. 

Cannabis has badly screwed up more than a few people though. My nephew for one.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

come on guys, when you voted to leave, what DID you think was the reason why the hard right wing of the Tory party were so intent on doing just that? 

Business secretary confirms post-Brexit review of UK workers' rights

The business secretary has confirmed his department is reviewing how EU employment rights protections could be changed after Brexit, while insisting they will not be watered down.

Asked about his role in Britannia Unchained, a 2012 collection of essays by then Tory backbenchers calling for reduced worker protections, Kwarteng told the committee that was “a long time ago”.

Ed Miliband, the shadow business secretary, said Kwarteng had “let the cat out of the bag” after initially dismissing media reports.

“A government committed to maintaining existing protections would not be reviewing whether they should be unpicked. This exposes that the government’s priorities for Britain are totally wrong,” he said.

“Neither workers nor business want ministers to take a wrecking ball to the hard-won rights of working people and families.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/19/business-secretary-confirms-post-brexit-review-uk-workers-rights

Lets hope the Business Secretary stop to the kind of discrimination Stella Creasy received for being a woman MP and pregnant.

Where are Stella's workers rights? and many like her?

Despicable.

The Guardian are stirring up the readership again with such words as "Could" - Which usually means is won't.

Rag of a paper.

Edited by Gav

People should read Britannia Unchained for the vision these Thatcherite right wing Brexiteer nutjobs have for Britain.

Some of the text was so provocative that it read like trolling.

“The British are among the worst idlers in the world,” read one passage. “We work among the lowest hours, we retire early and our productivity is poor. Whereas Indian children aspire to be doctors or businessmen, the British are more interested in football and pop music.”

To even start to compete with the rising economies of India, China and Brazil, said the authors, we need to avenge the “dependency culture” and “stop indulging in irrelevant debates about sharing the pie between manufacturing and services, the north and the south, women and men”.

They advised fellow Conservatives to double down on austerity, and maintain their faith in old-fashioned laissez-faire economics.

Make no mistake, now that Brexit is "done" these people will be enacting their dream of a low regulation, low tax Singapore-like Britain they have nurtured for decades.

Trampling over workers rights is just the start

3 hours ago, Gav said:

Lets hope the Business Secretary stop to the kind of discrimination Stella Creasy received for being a woman MP and pregnant.

Where are Stella's workers rights? and many like her?

Despicable.

The Guardian are stirring up the readership again with such words as "Could" - Which usually means is won't.

Rag of a paper.

Joke of a  post.

Guardian, best quality newspaper in the world. If you don't think so----what is?

Stella Creasy----you're not sleeping with her are you? Because you've got her on the brain.

Or perhaps you just want to deflect attention from Tory plans to water down workers rights?

Believe me, Stella will suffer as well if they succeed.

Edited by 47er
7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Cannabis has badly screwed up more than a few people though. My nephew for one.

Yes so true. not harmless at all. However, its medicinal properties seem pretty well established now and it should be widely available to those who need it for health conditions like epilepsy.

As I understand it, it is supposed to be already but doctors are playing God. In its medicinal form, the trippy stuff has been removed anyway hasn't it?

56 minutes ago, 47er said:

Stella Creasy----you're not sleeping with her are you?

I’d expect a comment like that from Boris, or his 1922 club mates, Trump even.

Well done.

Edited by Gav
32 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

My ignorance here but is there a difference between medicinal cannabis and CBD products that are widely available?

CBD is derived from the same cannabis plant, but doesn’t have the hallucinogenic properties of the real stuff. It’s harmless.

Edited by den
12 minutes ago, den said:

CBD doesn’t have the hallucinogenic properties of the real stuff. It’s harmless.

Ahh right, I thought that used medically would have the trippy stuff removed as well. 

Either way seen good things about and positive effects from CBD so I'd wave the flag for its wider use.

There was a clip doing the rounds on social media a few days ago. Johnson was at some function or other and being asked by two or three exporters as to whether or not there would be a need for documentation when exporting/importing following Brexit. Not sure of the date, it could well have been a year or two ago but the blonde buffoon was heard to say, ‘documents? None at all, don’t worry.’ 😆 Another lie.

50 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Ahh right, I thought that used medically would have the trippy stuff removed as well. 

Either way seen good things about and positive effects from CBD so I'd wave the flag for its wider use.

There isn’t any “trippy stuff” with THC either, which is the component of cannabis that gets you “high”. 

The issue with cannabis in this country is that it is an unregulated market. And believe me it is one hell of a market. I have been privy to a few secrets in my life and one of the worst I heard was a gang in Handsworth sprayed a crop of cannabis with glass fibres to give it that crystallised effect, which, if you have ever smoked cannabis, is the sign of a good bud. 

If that market was better regulated you would see a lot less awful cannabis in the market and you would see a huge increase in tax revenue because of it! 

Much like alcohol it isn’t for everybody. If alcohol is considered harmless enough to be legal so should cannabis. After all, it grows in the earth, it is a natural product, and to date has had 0 reported deaths worldwide as a direct cause. It would also reduce the “black market” considerably and see our prisons far less crowded. 

This will be a generational thing. By the time we are old cannabis will be legal. It is a matter of when not if it becomes legalised. Some police forces have already decriminalised it. I can’t wait until the day it is legal quite frankly. Mike Skinner of the streets sums it up perfectly in a song of his. People who smoke cannabis are far less harmful to society than those who choose to sink 20 pints every weekend. 

9 hours ago, Gav said:

I’d expect a comment like that from Boris, or his 1922 club mates, Trump even.

Well done.

Off your high horse Gav---just a joke! The real question Is why you seem determined to bring up Stella Creasy's issues over and over again whatever the thread is! This is the Brexit tread FFS. She'll be turning up on the match thread soon,eg

"I don't agree with TM not playing Davenport but he's still treated him better than that Labour party treated Stella"

Perhaps I shouldn't give you ideas!

As I told you first time round there is a majority of women MP's in the Labour party so they are well placed to sort this out within the party without you.

But women constitute less than a quarter of the MP's in the Tory party so which party treats women best?

Why aren't you up in arms about this Gav? And why have you never addressed this point?

9 minutes ago, 47er said:

The real question Is why you seem determined to bring up Stella Creasy's issues over and over again whatever the thread is!

Let me help you join the dots.

Den was talking about workers rights reviews after Brexit. 

Stella Creasy Labour MP, a working mother, revealed last week that she was discriminated against in the work place because she was female and pregnant, very much a workers rights Issue.

Plenty of talk about Brexit watering down workers rights, but for this to be happening in the Labour movement tells us they’re already watered down, not adhered to, by a party that champions equality.