And let me add some mare dots to this - Stella Ceasy is able to take Labour to court because of workers rights, the very rights that the Tories are going to remove because of Brexit - Workers rights good Brexit Bad - it's not difficult

• Replies 15.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• philipl

• jim mk2

• den

• 47er

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simply put, without the NHS: I'd never have been born (I'm an IVF baby). I'd have died in the womb (as did the triplets I was supposed to be part of). I'd have died at some point immedi

I didn't really want to get involved in this thread again, as emotions are very high, but I can't stand by and continue to be abused without putting my side across.  I'll try and quantify my view

The Tories didn't drag us out of the EU to strengthen workers rights for gods sake - What planet are you on ?

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

And let me add some mare dots to this - Stella Ceasy is able to take Labour to court because of workers rights, the very rights that the Tories are going to remove because of Brexit - Workers rights good Brexit Bad - it's not difficult

What level of workers rights do we currently have in this country if the Labour movement and others are able to discriminate against a pregnant mother?

Brexit has played no part in this case, we're playing by EU rules here.

40 minutes ago, 47er said:

But women constitute less than a quarter of the MP's in the Tory party so which party treats women best?

Sounds like some whataboutery there 😉 I know how much you hate that. 

16 minutes ago, Gav said:

but for this to be happening in the Labour movement tells us they’re already watered down

Only if they get away with it it does. 

Still no signs of the upsides of this Brexit malarkie

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-news-latest-boris-johnson-updates-live-b1789255.html

Brexit ‘carnage’ spreads to meat industry

Britain’s meat exporters have joined fishermen in raising alarm over sales lost because of customs red tape. Hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of rotting produce has reportedly been impounded because of customs problems.

The British Meat Processors Association told The Times the new systems were both “convoluted” and “badly implemented”. One exporter has five containers’ worth of pork going rotten in Rotterdam due to an incorrect veterinary certificate.  

It follows police fines for 15 Scottish seafood workers who took part in Monday’s protest in Westminster – as trucks with slogans like “Brexit Carnage” parked around Downing Street.

Brexodus

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/brexodus-of-jobs-from-city-of-london-to-continue-says-eu-commissioner-1.4462606

The irony is Brexiters complained about 

- Brussels being in charge

- decisions being made without British say so

- EU being expensive

It wasn't true when we were members but it is true now.

Edited by philipl

Fuck business - I believe that was one of Bozo's sayings

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/01/04/uk-faces-trade-boycott-after-brexit-vat-change/

Firms from around the world have decided to end deliveries to the UK rather than register with the country for VAT after new regulations – which received next to no scrutiny by Parliament – became law last month

The UK is facing a damaging trade boycott from European and US businesses after a new post-Brexit law changing the VAT system was rushed virtually unopposed through Parliament eight days before Christmas.

Under the changes companies all over the world that deal directly with the public have to register with HM Revenue and Customs and collect VAT before sending the goods.

As a result, a growing number of firms have decided to end all deliveries to the UK rather than register with the country for VAT, leaving people unable to order goods including materials not manufactured here.

The huge change in the collection of VAT – designed to avoid complications and delays at the UK border – was included in a 100-page bill that mainly focused on arrangements implementing the Northern Ireland protocol for business within the UK.

It was overlooked by MPs and peers who had very little time to scrutinise the bill and were assured in an explanatory memorandum from Jesse Norman, Financial Secretary to the Treasury, that the changes would have little impact on business.

One of the few people to challenge the Government over this was Pat McFadden, Labour’s Shadow Economic Secretary, who said that the bill amounted to a “ blizzard of regulations”.

Johnson can hold off a referendum. But doing so would make the case against the Union more forcefully than any other course of action imaginable and all-but guarantee independence when it was eventually held.

Terrible situation to be in. But that is the situation they have created. At the moment, and unless something changes, Brexit is ushering in the break-up of the Union.
1 hour ago, Gav said:

Let me help you join the dots.

Den was talking about workers rights reviews after Brexit. 

Stella Creasy Labour MP, a working mother, revealed last week that she was discriminated against in the work place because she was female and pregnant, very much a workers rights Issue.

Plenty of talk about Brexit watering down workers rights, but for this to be happening in the Labour movement tells us they’re already watered down, not adhered to, by a party that champions equality. 

And once again you have nothing to say about the ratio of women MP's in the 2 main parties.

1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

Sounds like some whataboutery there 😉 I know how much you hate that. 

Rubbish.With a majority of women in the Labour caucus they can do something about it.

Nothing whataboutery about it.

Edited by 47er

" More Or Less " on BBC Radio 4 was very good this morning as usual. In particular it threw a light on the recent claims of Mordaunt and Gove regarding their exaggerating the percentages of our fishing quotas. They're either lying or they don't actually understand the numbers.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Rubbish.With a majority of women in the Labour caucus they can do something about it.

Nothing whataboutery about it.

And what about the conservative party with only 1/4 women?

Edited by RoverDom

I thought it would be No Deal that meant empty shelves and shortages, but it turns out that the abysmal deal concocted by Bozo is just as bad

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/20/absolute-carnage-eu-hauliers-reject-uk-jobs-over-brexit-rules

'Absolute carnage': EU hauliers reject UK jobs over Brexit rules

A British freight company director with more than 20 years’ experience has told how EU hauliers and transport companies are turning their backs on UK business because they are being asked to provide tens of thousands of pounds in guarantees to cover VAT or potential tariffs on arrival in Britain.

The financial guarantee requirement did not exist before Brexit and EU transport companies who previously provided a shipping service for small and medium-sized firms have decided they do not want the extra financial burden, according to Colin Jeffries, who runs Key Cargo International in Manchester.

“We’ve got people that are trying to bring textiles in from Italy but we are being told there is no haulage availability on that. Nobody’s willing to touch anything because of these guarantees. In Poland, we’re trying to get masks in for PPE in the workplace and we can’t get anyone to bring them over.”

Jeffries, who has been in the freight forwarding business for 24 years, said his business nearly came to a standstill last week because of the sudden trade barriers erected on 1 January.

He said it was “absolute carnage out there” trying to get EU hauliers to come to Britain, because they underestimated the gravity of the financial guarantees, known as T1s, that now apply to goods being exported to the UK.

A truck with a £200,000 cargo would need cash or a T1 financial guarantee document for £40,000 in VAT alone, he said, a significant burden for transport companies with multiple trucks going to the UK.

Edited by Jimbo

I'm sorry were you expecting a comment back from me justifying the Labour Party discriminating against one of their MPs - You'll have  a long wait because I won't - My point was the fact that Stella Creasy has clout in her case because we have worker rights currently. Rights the Tories are about to remove, so if she has a case she'd better get a move on or she won't have any recourse in law.

Still awaiting that report on Priti Patel's bullying aren't we or did I miss that and the enquiry into Islamaphobia inside the Tory Party----- but that Stella Creasy eh?

51 minutes ago, 47er said:

Still awaiting that report on Priti Patel's bullying aren't we or did I miss that and the enquiry into Islamaphobia inside the Tory Party----- but that Stella Creasy eh?

Yep. Disgusting

This can't be true - One of these Tories is lying about Brext causing food shortages, how can that be possible ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/liz-truss-brexit-northern-ireland-food-shortages-b1790409.html

Liz Truss admits Brexit contributed to food shortages, contradicting Cabinet colleague

The international trade secretary, Liz Truss, has admitted Brexit has contributed to shortages on supermarket shelves in Northern Ireland, contradicting her Cabinet colleague Brandon Lewis.

Ms Truss joined Ireland’s foreign affairs minister, Simon Covey, in acknowledging the UK’s departure from the EU played a part in the disruption, putting her at odds with Mr Lewis, the Northern Ireland secretary, who has said disruption caused by coronavirus before Christmas is solely responsible for the shortages of some food products and is "nothing to do with leaving the EU".

But Mr Coveney told ITV's Peston: "I don't think it's only to do with Covid-19, though certainly that doesn't help.

"The supermarket shelves were full before Christmas and there are some issues now in terms of supply chains. So that's clearly a Brexit issue and it's part of the reality of the United Kingdom now being outside not only the European Union but of the customs union and the single market as well.

"Northern Ireland of course has special treatment and we've made a huge effort to try and minimise those checks and that disruption but nevertheless it's there and very real."

The Brexit bonuses are really ramping up now, we have Blue Passports and the ability to speed on French Autoroutes and.... and... come on Brexiteers help me out here, there must be some I've missed ?

Oh Yes, I'd forgotton these three, reduced workers rights, the ability to sell off the NHS, the ability to import sub-standard food..... any more ?

Edited by Jimbo
12 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I'm sorry were you expecting a comment back from me justifying the Labour Party discriminating against one of their MPs - You'll have  a long wait because I won't - My point was the fact that Stella Creasy has clout in her case because we have worker rights currently. Rights the Tories are about to remove, so if she has a case she'd better get a move on or she won't have any recourse in law.

You just did 👍

You are right of course that she could take the Labour movement to court, but this shouldn't be happening under these sacred EU rules on workers rights that you are all so desperate to maintain, should it?

Do you approve of discriminating against women in the workplace Jimbo? you've not said?

Here we have a pregnant female MP being discriminated against by the very party that stands up for equality, under EU rules on workers rights

Its disgraceful, but if the reaction on here is anything to go by, predictable too. 

Edited by Gav

Gav of course I don't, nor do I support the antisemitism engendered by the more radical of Labour, I thought my response to that was pretty clear when I replied saying I wouldn't support Labour discrimination - I assume you have no issues with the Tories and Islamaphobia, as you have been overtly supportive of them on that matter previously claiming that it's not a problem with the Tories despite Bozo's Letterbox comments, or Pritti Patel's bullying, allegations sidelined with the usual craven Tory excuses.

Nice bit of using my post out of context selectivly highlighting the comments to make it look like my meanings were different

Edited by Jimbo
1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Gav of course I don't, nor do I support the antisemitism engendered by the more radical of Labour, I thought my response to that was pretty clear when I replied saying I wouldn't support Labour discrimination - I assume you have no issues with the Tories and Islamaphobia, as you have been overtly supportive of them on that matter previously claiming that it's not a problem with the Tories despite Bozo's Letterbox comments, or Pritti Patel's bullying, allegations sidelined with the usual craven Tory excuses.

Can't disagree with much of the above you'll be surprised to learn.

Only I would point out that EHRC have said publicly that Islamophobia, as abhorrent that it is, in the Tory party is on a fraction of the scale of Anti-Semitism was/is in the Labour party, thats the reason why EHRC haven't so far investigated them, not enough complaints and evidence to support opening a case.

I have never been 'overly supportive of the matter' its the EHRC that make the rules not me.

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

Can't disagree with much of the above you'll be surprised to learn.

Only I would point out that EHRC have said publicly that Islamophobia, as abhorrent that it is, in the Tory party is on a fraction of the scale of Anti-Semitism was/is in the Labour party, thats the reason why EHRC haven't so far investigated them, not enough complaints and evidence to support opening a case.

I have never been 'overly supportive of the matter' its the EHRC that make the rules not me.

If you really believe that you mustn't either work with or know many Tories. Most of them that I know are definitely not admirers of our " coloured friends " , as one of the Tories I know so kindly calls them.

10 minutes ago, Gav said:

thats the reason why EHRC haven't so far investigated them, not enough complaints and evidence to support opening a case.

Have you seen who's on it Gav? We had this discussion a while back. Keep up!

Have a look at what Baroness Warsi had to say at the time. 2019 and nothing done.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/27/sayeeda-warsi-tory-islamophobia-muslim-prejudice-investigation

and:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/17/equalities-professor-to-head-tory-inquiry-into-discrimination-in-party