• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• philipl

• jim mk2

• den

• 47er

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn't really want to get involved in this thread again, as emotions are very high, but I can't stand by and continue to be abused without putting my side across.  I'll try and quantify my view

Simply put, without the NHS: I'd never have been born (I'm an IVF baby). I'd have died in the womb (as did the triplets I was supposed to be part of). I'd have died at some point immedi

And I’m going to have a Spanish beer from a Belgian glass, wearing an Italian band t-shirt ordered from a German website, and listening to some Bulgarian europop. You and the rest can stick Brexi

Posted Images

Taking back control of our waters isn’t proving great. In fact it’s proving to be a disaster.

“It’s like a motorway crash’: Urgent meeting sought to resolve Brexit mess which has left fishing industry suffering huge losses”

“Concerns have also been raised as the delays mean that hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of fish are being destroyed and ending up in landfill.”

“The new red tape also means that every box of fresh seafood and salmon has to be offloaded from lorries and inspected by vets before they leave Scotland – which can take up to five hours.“

“David Leiper, the director of Peterhead-based exporters Seafood Ecosse, told the Sunday Post one of his biggest worries was letting down regular customers on the continent who he has traded with for many years.

He said: “Last week I cancelled orders to Europe that would have been worth about £300,000 because I couldn’t guarantee when they would get there.”

“These deliveries were to people we have had a good relationship with for decades and now it has come to this.”

“If the situation worsens it will have a catastrophic effect on our prices.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/north-east/2801383/its-like-a-motorway-crash-urgent-meeting-sought-to-resolve-brexit-mess-which-has-left-fishing-industry-suffering-huge-losses/

There was a feature on Radio 4's Today programme (Monday) about the plight of British people who've settled in Spain or had 2nd homes in Spain. One family  had a son born in Uk and another in Spain. They think now that they are forced to stay in Spain because the Spanish-born son would be subject to UK's news immigration system and the points system which he couldn't meet.

I was half listening but anyone interested could listen on demand. It finished about 7-30am as I recall.

On 09/01/2021 at 20:00, Gav said:

What is so 'whataboutery' in regards to the Guardian, Telegraph and Independent pieces about Stella Creasy being discriminated against? 

Its got nothing to do with Brexit and this is the Brexit thread?

On 11/01/2021 at 00:23, Jimbo said:

And here's one for Gav - Maintaining standards through Brexit - Not a chance! It's a race to the bottom

So much for solemn promises given many times. Just as we feared.

25 minutes ago, 47er said:

Its got nothing to do with Brexit and this is the Brexit thread?

Workers right have everything to do with Brexit, you’ve been telling us as much for months now. 

Some want this story buried, you’ll be on the naughty step now 47er 😃

Edited by Gav
1 minute ago, Gav said:

Workers right have everything to do with Brexit, you’ve been telling us as much for months now. 

Some want this story buried, you’ll be on the naughty step now 47er 😃

Stella Creasy's situation is relevant to a Brexit thread?  Give over!!

Its relevant only to your mission to prove that the Labour party is as bad as the Tories on workers rights which is an absurdity.

I don't want this buried but I'm not so obsessed with it as to bring it up on any thread, at any opportunity for my own reasons.

I suppose that, if we want to improve workers' rights (and Stella's) we should all vote Tory then!

I doubt Stella would thank you for that!

When we fly out to Spain we usually take a few M&S sandwiches on the plane to tide us over until we can get to the supermarket in the village. Sometimes they are closed when we arrive etc.

Given that the Dutch border control people were taking sandwiches off British drivers at the Dutch border yesterday it looks like we might have to go hungry.

45 minutes ago, gumboots said:

You can take dry bread!

Yes and of course we could buy sandwiches at the airport when we land I suppose but it's just another pointless aggravation.

The last time we were out there about 18 months ago I got through passport control right away but my wife was a couple of people behind me. So I waited for her just behind the kiosk. Whilst I was waiting the Guardia came out of the kiosk and asked for my passport again. He went back on the computer for a few minutes, then he came out a gave me the passport back. Just as my wife came through he came out again and asked for my passport once more. He then took us both over to his sergeant. We got the third degree about our trip - where did we live in Spain, what was our address, what was the purpose of our trip, what other airports had we flown into in Spain previously, had we ever been to Murcia  ? etc .

It turns out that a well known " desperado " has the same name as me.

I was expecting more of the same on the way back to the UK. My wife went first and was through straight away. The guy gave my passport a real once over and typed quite a bit into the computer, then let me go without a word. I did notice that they were building special facilities for Brits at passport control back then, expect long queues next time.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
13 hours ago, 47er said:

Stella Creasy's situation is relevant to a Brexit thread?  Give over!!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/27/brexit-deal-threatens-uk-labour-climate-standards-thinktank-warns

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-uk-workers-rights-unions-etuc-b1767518.html

Stella Creasy has been discriminated against for being a working mother and female 47er, by the Labour movement, the very movement that claims to fight for equality.

This shouldn't be allowed to happen in any setting, I want us to stamp our discrimination against women and in all settings, I want us to come down heavily on the perpetrators, we need much stiffer penalties for workplace discrimination and discrimination of any kind. 

We are no longer tied to most EU rules and regulations after brexit, we should tighten up in this area.

Do you agree?

Edited by Gav
2 minutes ago, Gav said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/27/brexit-deal-threatens-uk-labour-climate-standards-thinktank-warns

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-uk-workers-rights-unions-etuc-b1767518.html

Stella Creasy has been discriminated against for being a working mother and female 47er, by the Labour movement, the very movement that claims to fight for equality.

This shouldn't be allowed to happen in any setting, I want us to stamp our discrimination against women and in all settings, I want us to come down heavily on the perpetrators, we need much stiffer penalties for workplace discrimination and discrimination of any kind. 

We are no longer tied to most EU rules and regulations after brexit, we should tighten up in this area.

Do you agree?

How were EU rules and regulations preventing us from tightening up in this area ?

1 hour ago, Gav said:

EU rules on employee rights were a minimum we have always had the ability to go above and beyond these rules but not below. We could have done this 5 years ago.

You wont find me disagreeing that the discrimination is wrong but you cant shoehorn it into a brexit issue. 

5 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

EU rules on employee rights were a minimum we have always had the ability to go above and beyond these rules but not below. We could have done this 5 years ago.

You wont find me disagreeing that the discrimination is wrong but you cant shoehorn it into a brexit issue. 

Gav has been told this a number of times. Continuing on this avoids him having to comment on the dire fishing situation that seemingly every brexiteer pinned their hat to. 

2 hours ago, den said:

@Tyrone Shoelaces

There’s a desperado Called Tyrone Shoelaces?

Wow, I would never have believed that.

I just want to point out that after *checks notes* 11 years on this messageboard, it's only just twigged that @Tyrone Shoelaces is a play on words...

Edited by Mike E
4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When we fly out to Spain we usually take a few M&S sandwiches on the plane to tide us over until we can get to the supermarket in the village. Sometimes they are closed when we arrive etc.

Given that the Dutch border control people were taking sandwiches off British drivers at the Dutch border yesterday it looks like we might have to go hungry.

Tyrone - remarkably although you can't take animal products into the EU you can take up to 20kg of fish* in. You could make some belting prawn sandwiches instead.

* Or more if it's one fish.

On 11/01/2021 at 13:25, Dreams of 1995 said:

Got ours delivered this morning. Zero substitutes which is a rarity even without a "Brexit crisis"!!!

I must live in a bubble because all of these stories of chaos and crisis never seem to reach Birmingham. 

I went to my local fruit and vegetable market stall this morning. Everything as per normal. No price increases. Got what we normal get for Tuesday. 

Brexit has today divided the Dreams’ household. Just before Christmas Mrs Dreams told me she wanted some new house plants being the green fingered woman she is. Our house is already reminiscent of a rainforest as it is. I live in bamboo and green. 

When I checked the PayPal I realised “a few” meant £99.50 worth. I was told the big money was in the pots but let it slide. 

Today the money was reimbursed because they are unable to ship to the U.K. presently. No actual mention of Brexit but I can only imagine it is what has caused it. 

So whilst Mrs Dreams is cursing Brexit for not being able to add to the Forest of Dreams, I am currently sat pretty with my £99.50 back wondering if I should buy a nice bottle of wine for tonight’s meal. Thank you Brexit.