4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The similarities between the Trump supporters who still believe the election was stolen and the Brexiteers who refuse to believe anything can possibly be wrong with the " deal " is pretty glaring.  

Interesting analogy to go with.

Trump supporters who refused to accept the result of a vote, cried foul play, protested, and vowed to do anything possible to overturn it.

Now which group in the Brexit debate does that sound most like? 🤔

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• philipl

• jim mk2

• den

• 47er

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simply put, without the NHS: I'd never have been born (I'm an IVF baby). I'd have died in the womb (as did the triplets I was supposed to be part of). I'd have died at some point immedi

I didn't really want to get involved in this thread again, as emotions are very high, but I can't stand by and continue to be abused without putting my side across.  I'll try and quantify my view

And I’m going to have a Spanish beer from a Belgian glass, wearing an Italian band t-shirt ordered from a German website, and listening to some Bulgarian europop. You and the rest can stick Brexi

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Silas said:

Trump supporters who refused to accept the result of a vote, cried foul play, protested, and vowed to do anything possible to overturn it.

Beat me to it 👍

3 hours ago, Silas said:

Difference being that the wrongdoing during the Brexit campaign is factual rather than merely perceived as in the US Election.

I've also not seen thousands of Remainers storming the Commons with an apparent plan to gas anyone inside 😛

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Difference being that the wrongdoing during the Brexit campaign is factual rather than merely perceived as in the US Election.

I've also not seen thousands of Remainers storming the Commons with an apparent plan to gas anyone inside 😛

😂😂, fair enough, you've injected some nuance to the discussion. 

Still doesn't stop what I said being factual, and imo the comparisons made way more accurate than those of the OP.

And you and another poster jump straight to 6th Jan. There was 100's of thousands of people did peacefully protest in the US during Nov/Dec before that horrificnous at the end. Not defending them, why any sane person would want to spend their free time supporting DT is beyond me.

It's just about balance for me in life. And there's certain other causes/organisations recently that have seen some pretty despicable actions by minority factions. But that's swept under the carpet as the 'majority' were doing it the right way.

Well, for me, that luxury should be afforded to all regardless of the cause. Otherwise the hipocracy sounds out strong.

I'm a big believer in:

‘I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,’ 

Basically, act like a dick, get treated like a dick. Be violent or abusive, suffer the consequences. Anything outside of that, people should be free to voice whatever they feel.

And yes that even includes Trump supporters for me. 

Edited by Silas
8 hours ago, only2garners said:

The UK sold £1.3bn worth of dairy products to the EU in 2019, more than three times exports to the rest of the world. One producer isn't a big deal but add them all up together.....

Its not fish that's the problem!

17 minutes ago, philipl said:

Can you relocate the French to North Africa maybe, Southern Spain would do.

That would in one fail swoop open the border and stop this petty bureaucracy, where a comma in the wrong place means no entry 😤

THE TRUTH ABOUT CHEESE1

Cheshire Cheese Co has a turnover of £4.3M a year and employs 25 staff. They were intending to open a new distribution

centre in Macclesfield employing a further 20 people but are now going to open the new centre in France instead, creating

20 French jobs!

Worthless company eh Sparks?

Have a read of what Brexit has meant for this firm.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/23/cheshire-cheesemaker-says-business-left-with-250000-brexit-hole

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

THE TRUTH ABOUT CHEESE1

Cheshire Cheese Co has a turnover of £4.3M a year and employs 25 staff. They were intending to open a new distribution

centre in Macclesfield employing a further 20 people but are now going to open the new centre in France instead, creating

20 French jobs!

Worthless company eh Sparks?

Have a read of what Brexit has meant for this firm.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/23/cheshire-cheesemaker-says-business-left-with-250000-brexit-hole

Fishing employs well over 10 thousand people, brings over £1bn into UK economy, but we read posts on here that fishing just wasn't important, irrelevant and other derogatory comments, most posters just didn't care...

I won't be so dismissive of Cheshire Cheese Co, I hope they manage to stay afloat, every job is important, every family needs feeding and every community needs thriving businesses.

Save the big cheese, get the forms sorted out Boris.

1 hour ago, philipl said:

So because of Brexit, UK Govt officials are telling UK companies to move abroad, lay off staff here and employ bloody foreigners from the EU. 

Sunlit uplands. Brexit dividend. 

10 hours ago, Gav said:

Can you relocate the French to North Africa maybe, Southern Spain would do.

That would in one fail swoop open the border and stop this petty bureaucracy, where a comma in the wrong place means no entry 😤

I know you didn't vote for it but 37% of the people have got what they wanted.

France is doing very well out of Brexit- a huge boon to Paris in particular.

Obviously now the EU27 are making the most out of Brexit and thus far it is going very well for them.

It is pretty obvious where we are going.

By 2026 Scotland will be independent and Ireland will be one country on the island.

I will go further- by 2030, England wont have a seat on the Permanent Council at the UN and will be filing an application to join the EU.

41 minutes ago, philipl said:

By 2026 Scotland will be independent and Ireland will be one country on the island.

I will go further- by 2030, England wont have a seat on the Permanent Council at the UN and will be filing an application to join the EU.

The break up of the UK is a natural consequence of Brexit. Scotland's hatred of Boris Johnson and his English nationalist party has speeded up the process.  Scotland will be fine on its own but I'm not sure there's much appetite for a united Ireland north or south of the border at present. Welsh separationists are on the rise too but I can't see how it can stand alone as a sovereign country and Wales itself is split geographically into north and south. 

Obviously now the EU27 are making the most out of Brexit and thus far it is going very well for them.

52% of people who voted chosen to vote to leave. You cannot include people who cant vote or chosen to not vote. 

France is doing well is it? so why is Macron sending his minister to the UK to beg us to help out the Eurostar for bailout. https://mickleach.com/2021/01/23/eurostar-news-desperate-macron-urgently-sends-minister-to-beg-uk-for-bailout-cash-uk-news/ 

Scotland won't be independent unless they get a vote which is looking very unlikely. Just look at Gordon Brown comments on the affect on Pensioners on the Scotland people if they leave the UK. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1384512/gordon-brown-scotland-snp-labour-leader-nicola-sturgeon-independence-spt

Also with the latest on Nicole Sturgeon involvement in the Salmond affair with affect the SNP movement. https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1387084/nicola-sturgeon-news-snp-resign-sturgeon-misled-parliament-claims-alex-salmond-enquiry

And Philipl wont we be have a permanent council seat on the UN? You seem to enjoyed putting your birth country down at every opportunity which is a great shame. Abit like saying the UK wont be relevant in the world despite being the 5th Biggest economy in the entire world. Yes 5th.   

2 hours ago, philipl said:

The rule changes are going take months if not years to settle down, nobody expected leaving the EU was going to easy, its still very early days, but the government need to look after businesses, especially those who are finding the transition tough. 

2 hours ago, philipl said:

Like Chaddy above, I just don't see how the Scots can fend for themselves if they became independent. 

What currency would they use?

How long would North Sea oil last?

Would they join Nato? How much GDP would they pay? Would they join EU automatically?

How would they pay off the national debt?

I don't have a problem with Scotland having another vote if its the will of the people, but I just can't see that happening anytime soon. 

Edited by Gav
9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

France is doing well is it? so why is Macron sending his minister to the UK to beg us to help out the Eurostar for bailout. https://mickleach.com/2021/01/23/eurostar-news-desperate-macron-urgently-sends-minister-to-beg-uk-for-bailout-cash-uk-news/ 

Scotland won't be independent unless they get a vote which is looking very unlikely. Just look at Gordon Brown comments on the affect on Pensioners on the Scotland people if they leave the UK. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1384512/gordon-brown-scotland-snp-labour-leader-nicola-sturgeon-independence-spt

The French quite rightly are asking the UK to chip in because London - Paris traffic far exceeds traffic going the other way. In other words, we use it and get more benefit from Eurostar than the French, although the French own it. See,s quite reasonable to me

The clamour for a second referendum after the May elections will be loud and deafening. Johnson can't keep saying no and will have to come up with something if he wants to keep the union together. 

5 minutes ago, Gav said:

The rule changes are going take months if not years to settle down, nobody expected leaving the EU was going to easy, its still very early days, but the government need to look after businesses, especially those who are finding the transition tough. 

Wrong, stop gaslighting - Multiple Tories told us this was the easiest thing ever and it would be unicorns for all.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Wrong, stop gaslighting - Multiple Tories told us this was the easiest thing ever and it would be unicorns for all.

You didn't believe them did you?

That was silly Jimbo....

8 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Easiest trade deal in history - the great Liam Fox

These frictions of trade are the inevitable consequence of Brexit. 

Brexit supporters, in a display of unfathomable ignoränce, stüpidity, gullibility and exceptionalism, voted to leave the EU, thinking they'd be better off, knowing it would harm others.

They didn't care. Now they're reaping the consequences. Schadenfreude

Edited by jim mk2

Nope I didn't but Brexiteers did and dismissed the warnings as Project Fear, a project that is now reality. It just goes to show how gullible your average Brexiteer is.

11 hours ago, Gav said:

Fishing employs well over 10 thousand people, brings over £1bn into UK economy, but we read posts on here that fishing just wasn't important, irrelevant and other derogatory comments, most posters just didn't care...

I won't be so dismissive of Cheshire Cheese Co, I hope they manage to stay afloat, every job is important, every family needs feeding and every community needs thriving businesses.

Save the big cheese, get the forms sorted out Boris.

its not a question of whether I'm more in favour of cheese-making than fishing. The problems  that company is having is simply another example of a general issue surrounding British exports to Europe.

Exporters are incurring huge delays, often rendering fresh food rotten, enormous amounts of form-filling and red tape plus additional charges which they didn't expect and which make the whole exercise pointless. 

It wasn't meant to be this way. That is what we have voluntarily signed up for! These are not "teething problems' This is how it is unless we go back to negotiating again, which I suspect we will be doing forever.

This is how many of us thought it would turn out  and the government has lied---again.

As for the fishermen of Britain, they are no better off. They have access to 8% more of British fish stocks only but the new rules make it difficult and expensive to sell them to Europe which is or was their main market.

Its a shambles.

Barnier has said this is the "new normal". At least the government ha suggested a solution - move your business to the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/23/brexit-hit-firms-advised-government-officials-set-up-shop-in-eu

Hurrah for Brexit - the gift that keeps on costing the country billions and thousands of jobs. 

34 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The French quite rightly are asking the UK to chip in because London - Paris traffic far exceeds traffic going the other way. In other words, we use it and get more benefit from Eurostar than the French, although the French own it. See,s quite reasonable to me

The clamour for a second referendum after the May elections will be loud and deafening. Johnson can't keep saying no and will have to come up with something if he wants to keep the union together. 

Well yes we can say no cos the 2014 referudum was recent and it was one in generation thing. They can have another in 30 years. The union will stay together cos Scotland doesnt have the resources to go on its own. How would it fund the NHS, schools, etc? They would be bankrupt within years of leaving the UK. Look at Gordon Brown comments. How would Scotland fund pensions or social care? where the money coming from?

Edited by chaddyrovers