I can see the reason for EU businesses to set up shop in the UK - It's the same reasons that UK ones have - The cost of exporting individual orders is prohibative compared with moving bulk products to a  distribution centre and then onwards as individual orders.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• philipl

• jim mk2

• den

• 47er

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simply put, without the NHS: I'd never have been born (I'm an IVF baby). I'd have died in the womb (as did the triplets I was supposed to be part of). I'd have died at some point immedi

The Tories didn't drag us out of the EU to strengthen workers rights for gods sake - What planet are you on ?

I didn't really want to get involved in this thread again, as emotions are very high, but I can't stand by and continue to be abused without putting my side across.  I'll try and quantify my view

Posted Images

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Trade deficit mate. 75bn they sell to us.

They would have a business in the EU and one here...just like the 47er example. They have a business in Scotland and one in Lyon 

What don't you get?

In the 47er example he's had to move the part of his business that trades with the EU to France from Scotland, with the resultant loss of jobs and tax revenue for this country.  Which bit don't you get?

7 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

In the 47er example he's had to move the part of his business that trades with the EU to France from Scotland, with the resultant loss of jobs and tax revenue for this country.  Which bit don't you get?

Yes, and my argument is that for everyone of them there will be just as many if not more doing the opposite based on the 70bn trade deficit.  Balances out and not really worth getting excited about.

I'll leave it there.👍

8 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes, and my argument is that for everyone of them there will be just as many if not more doing the opposite based on the 70bn trade deficit.  Balances out and not really worth getting excited about.

I'll leave it there.👍

Eh?

Reuters..,

Lockdown hits UK GDP less than feared, but Brexit pummels trade
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2B40OV

Edited by den
56 minutes ago, den said:

Lockdown hits UK GDP less than feared, but Brexit pummels trade...

I've read that article in it's entirety twice, and I genuinely can't find a single thing that backs up this statement. 

It seems to be based solely on Month 1 figures (January), and even states itself the drop in import and export figures are probably due to stockpiling before the Brexit date. 

Right now EU businesses have no need to set up operations in the UK to avoid export bureaucracy because there isn't any - we haven't applied any rules for incoming goods from the EU and have delayed that introduction again from the end of March until at least the Autumn.

Didn’t brexiteers ignore the warnings of a hard brexit on NI and the GFA? Didn’t they shout “project fear”? The government stand back and watch.

Northern Ireland’s justice minister has said the government’s “dishonesty” over the consequences of hard Brexit has contributed to the anger felt by loyalists, as police counted the cost of 41 officers injured during violence on the streets over four nights.....

Long attributed the violence to a combination of loyalist protests over police success in cracking down on paramilitary gangs and disquiet she says has been stoked by Westminster leaders’ false rhetoric over Brexit.....

In a swipe at both Boris Johnson, who claimed there would be no checks on goods crossing the Irish Sea, and the Northern Ireland secretary, Brandon Lewis, who said no border would be erected following Brexit, she said the government knew Brexit would be “felt most acutely in Northern Ireland, where identity issues are tied up with border issues”.

She told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “Instead of trying to work through the issues legally, it opted to promote lawlessness by suspending the Northern Ireland protocol....

“They promised people unfettered access, which is not the case. And they denied the existence of borders, even as those borders were being erected. I think that that dishonesty, and the lack of clarity around these issues has contributed to a sense of anger in parts of our community.”

“We have to recognise, and this is fundamental, that when we decided that Brexit was the way forward, and when we choose a particularly hard Brexit, that there would be consequences. And those consequences would be felt most acutely in Northern Ireland, where there is some land border,” she added.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/07/northern-ireland-dishonesty-over-brexit-fuelled-loyalist-anger-says-stormont-minister

Edited by den
9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Silly argument when there will be EU businesses do exactly the same and setting up here....I'm surprised I've had to explain that to you. Considering the trade deficit is massive with the EU, I'd imagine it happening more the opposite way.  

Anyway.🙄

Why would you imagine it? Why not provide examples from the many you think there is?

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'll leave it there.👍

You'll leave it there because you have no examples.

6 hours ago, only2garners said:

Right now EU businesses have no need to set up operations in the UK to avoid export bureaucracy because there isn't any - we haven't applied any rules for incoming goods from the EU and have delayed that introduction again from the end of March until at least the Autumn.

Overplaying the bureaucracy,  I export material into the EU and there's been a couple of extra forms.  Gives someone something to do. 🙄  Don't know what the fuss is all about.

17 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I just can't be arsed to be honest.  There will be though, I'm just not anal enough to care about winning the argument that much.  

Forgive me if I don't believe you. You're not usually backwards in coming forwards!

10 minutes ago, 47er said:

Forgive me if I don't believe you. You're not usually backwards in coming forwards!

I certainly don't search the Internet for stories to suit my argument.  They will be out there, I'm educated enough to know that. 👍 

Are you seriously saying no EU businesses have set up a satellite premises in the UK to get round any potential issues?

Anyway.

Edited by Sparks Rover
8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I certainly don't search the Internet for stories to suit my argument.  They will be out there, I'm educated enough to know that. 👍 

Are you seriously saying no EU businesses have set up a satellite premises in the UK to get round any potential issues?

Anyway.

I didn't search the internet for stories to suit my argument, the newspaper article was my argument! I just had to open it. I could have posted many others over the last few weeks as well but didn't. The process is sadly familiar--businesses in Britain are increasingly moving their business and jobs to the EU as the only way to earn a profit.

You are a typical Brexiteer in that you believe its happening the other way because you want to believe in Brexit. You haven't provided any evidence, not because you can't be arsed but because you haven't got any. Even if you did find the odd example it wouldn't demonstrate equivalence,the movement is all the other way.

No, I'm not seriously suggesting no EU businesses have set up satellite premises in the UK, but I haven't heard of any. Have you? No because you can't be bothered looking!!! Yeah right!

Stick to football, you're much better at it.

53 minutes ago, 47er said:

I didn't search the internet for stories to suit my argument, the newspaper article was my argument! I just had to open it. I could have posted many others over the last few weeks as well but didn't. The process is sadly familiar--businesses in Britain are increasingly moving their business and jobs to the EU as the only way to earn a profit.

You are a typical Brexiteer in that you believe its happening the other way because you want to believe in Brexit. You haven't provided any evidence, not because you can't be arsed but because you haven't got any. Even if you did find the odd example it wouldn't demonstrate equivalence,the movement is all the other way.

No, I'm not seriously suggesting no EU businesses have set up satellite premises in the UK, but I haven't heard of any. Have you? No because you can't be bothered looking!!! Yeah right!

Stick to football, you're much better at it.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-56155531

There you go. Took me 10 seconds. 🙄

Mate, I'm a successful businessmen who exports commodities to Europe all the time before brexit and now.  People like you talking it down all the time without a clue. 

Enjoy.

Edited by Sparks Rover
47 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-56155531

There you go. Took me 10 seconds. 🙄

Mate, I'm a successful businessmen who exports commodities to Europe all the time before brexit and now.  People like you talking it down all the time without a clue. 

Enjoy.

No, sorry Sparks---can't be arsed reading it.

Joking!!

Yes, well that is encouraging but I note it relates to finance and insurance only where we have no agreement with the EU on procedures. Maybe that's why those types of business feel they need to get in early.

I was thinking of goods----imports and exports-- where I haven't noticed movement in our direction.

Still, we've done this to death so we wait and see.

What’s worrying about the rioting in Northern Ireland is that the senior Loyalist politicians are turning a blind eye to it. I heard Arlene Foster trying to deflect attention from the effect Brexit Is having on events to the unhappiness about a funeral that happened 10 months ago.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

I love the way Boris is on his high horse about law and order and rioting.

No thought of apologising for the lies he told the Irish people about his agreement.

I don't agree with petrol bombing a bus or attacking policemen or any of that but Boris at least knows his history.

He must surely have known what the Loyalist reaction would be when they realised they'd been duped but he did it anyway.

Unfit to be in government, a total bastard.

16 hours ago, den said:

Didn’t brexiteers ignore the warnings of a hard brexit on NI and the GFA? Didn’t they shout “project fear”? 

3 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Them riots in Belfast. Not happening. Project Fear innit. 

Yeah, fair play, looks like it's turning into a right mess over there.

Was it covered in depth before the vote though? Genuinely can't remember as it's all turned into a blur now.

I fell like all the hard border/soft border, border in the friggin sea stuff came up between 2016-2020.

Can't remember much of it before the vote though, but happy to be corrected. 

That's why I was always an advocate of a 2nd deciding and final vote. So much more information and nuance came in the following years that it made sense to me to let the population vote then. 

Just now, Silas said:

Yeah, fair play, looks like it's turning into a right mess over there.

Was it covered in depth before the vote though? Genuinely can't remember as it's all turned into a blur now.

I fell like all the hard border/soft border, border in the friggin sea stuff came up between 2016-2020.

Can't remember much of it before the vote though, but happy to be corrected. 

That's why I was always an advocate of a 2nd deciding and final vote. So much more information and nuance came in the following years that it made sense to me to let the population vote then. 

Brexit: How the Irish border issue was viewed during campaigning - BBC News